Used 2003 Dodge Durango Sport SUV Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

2003 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Love at 1st sight.
By Pathy Owner

2003 Dodge Durango SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Let me say I bought my 2003 Durango on Craig's List. Nuf said. After weeks of looking at used SUV's and dozens of scams I saw her, Baby Blue! Owner was sketchy, would only text "CASH!", very little English. Got a run around for a week before he admitted his Sis and Bro in law had the vehicle and gave me their number. ( yeah I had to her ) From the plate in the picture I could run a Car Fax. Leased for 11 years. Who leases a vehicle for 11 years? Someone who loves her! Regular maintenance and AC compressor changed, front shocks, nothing major.
I met the Sis and Bro the next day, ( Valentines Day! Serious ) with the text msgs I had with the kid and Kelly Blue Book and offered them the same deal: $2500, cash, bank at the Supermarket was open on Sunday. First time I saw her in person. Started and ran, test drove it with my wife. Oils were all clean, good acceleration and brakes. Smooth ride. It's not often my wife approves of my decisions. She assured me this was a good one is spite of the original poster wanting to meet me with "CASH" in some dark alley. They were at $2800 ( and I would have paid it ). He countered with $2600 and I countered with $2650! Sold!!
Worth Every Dollar ! Even with 184,000 the engine is sound and auto transmission works perfectly. Leather interior Does improve with age, but bought some covers to keep them looking good. Power at the expense of Gas Mileage. Huge interior. I needed a big cargo area for my business hauling tools and materials. I could Almost haul a 4 by 8 sheet of drywall in the back, just a little short. Yes I wish the back seats folded Flat! Or easier to remove. I thought I must be missing something, but no, it doesn't fold flat. :( And the split bench in back doesn't "pop" out like most. Bolted down. Made putting seat covers on the bench a pain.
Most of all, once I got used to the wide wheel base was the Ride. Smooth! Stable. Plows a bit around the twisty mountain roads where we live but that is the only time it reminds you that you are driving a Truck. I hear the front ball joints asking for attention again ( Replaced at 100,00 I think ). And the second morning I drove it i realized the Heater/AC Fan didn't work. Brrr! Went online and found this was common and easy for even me to fix. Cost me $10 including next day shipping to replace the Resistor under the glove box. Even a Caveman could do it! Some people reported paying $150 to have this done. Don't!
I stole this vehicle, paid more than they were asking, and probably should have paid more. Although I plan to do a tune up and oil change before I get the emissions tested I have no doubt it will pass with flying colors. I've ordered Oil and Tranny additives as preventive maintenance ( Not Lucas, this is better ) and for those things that I can't see. But as far as the eye can see she is a beauty, my Baby Blue!
I have owned a Pathfinder for the past 14 years. Bought it at 28,000 and she is nearing 240,000. Original. I mean I haven't changed anything but brakes once and oil occasionally. I intend to get 300,000 out of her, but she was getting old and deserved a semi retirement. I still love my Pathy and Nissan in general. But I have been converted! My Inlaws all seem to own Dodge's. Now I see the light!

Big suprise
By Mike

2003 Dodge Durango SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Well, I must say that I have been pleasantley suprised with this vehicle. I have owned an Explorer and this Durango beats it hands down in every way! People are always quick to bad mouth Dodge but it has been my experience that vehicles take care of you when you take care of them...regular maintenance is key. This Durango is very comfortable and driving it around is fun. Great for long trips and also around town. Feels very solid and heavy. After driving this I could never go back to an Explorer, too small, too boring, and I had way too many problems with my FORD. If you are considering buying this vehicle, dont hesitate....trust me!!!

comfortable ride, feels safe, great styling features compared to others in class

rear glass should open

Durango Bob
By Butch

The Dodge Durango was always one
of my favorite SUVs. It was a vehicle
that I coveted. It has turned out to be
everything that I had imagioned it to
be. Fun to drive, stable, comfortable
and it didn?t hurt that I got a terrific
deal. The 70,000 mile warranty is a
real selling point. All I have to do is
put gas in it! (So they said.) All this for
$3,000 less than the sticker. As they
say "Tax, title, warranty-out the door!"

What an SUV should be!
By MIGY

2003 Dodge Durango SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Powerful, fun to drive really roomy and
has everything you should expect from
an SUV.
Wish gas mileage was better but you
have to pay the price for power.

Very roomy, great cupholders and comfortable seating.

Better gas mileage.

Best of Breed
By Hos

2003 Dodge Durango SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Plenty of room inside , loads of cargo
space and comfortable for longer trips.

Power is more than acceptable for our
needs and driving is responsive.

Road noise is audiable, but not a
factor.

Milage is acceptable for this class of
vehicle, giving us the sticker rated
14mpg/City and 15.9/combined. We
haven't yet made a long trip to
determine true hwy.

Cockpit is nice, controls easy to see
and reach for the driver. The A/C
seems a touch underated for city
driving at slow speeds, but is great
on the highway.

The back seat (2 row arrangement) is
comfortable for adult passengers.

For the price, 21k financed, 2k down,
it is the Best of Breed!

Power, handling, comfort, style.

Milage, A/C power, rear hatch exterior handle.