Used 2003 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2003 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

upsides and downsides
By jvote

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

upsides are comfort,speed, power, as well as control based on wheel base you can park it in the tightest area you ever imagined. handles like a mid range car, with the horsepower of a sportscar and i have driven a 911 turbo. it doe'snt have the acceleration tho. of a 911 turbo. but it has alot of power and go. i am 3rd owner with 129k when bought. and was pleasantly suprised at the handling, with p265/75 tires 16" it drives better than most of the cars i have owned. small to large. and handles better than all of them. downside is the thunk of the trany, thats covered in a service bulliten with the ab code. not a problem. easy fix. a absolute pleasure to drive. would like to buy another one.

Favorite Features

mine is a slt leather interior, all electric. alot of creature features, and the best part is it is customizable. intake and exhaust, speed chips and reprogram the ecm. as well as dress up chrome you name it. interior dvd all around. a vehicle you can have the whole family happy with. and it's versatile, fold down the seats and you go to the hardware store. love it! wish the other companies could make a competitive product like this. with the horsepower, and the comfort. dodge is on the right tract.

Suggested Improvements

well, thats a hard one. a key code transmitter for the keyless entry? e.g. 10 digit touchpad, with a panic that sends cops? a one button push that diables the vehicle? until the correct code enables it? unbreakable windows? plexiglass or lexan? or a lam that would prevent breakage. or bullets. a disabled vehicle can't be used for a further crime. too bad bad guys. get a job.

2003 Durango slt 4.7
By gasguzzlr

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SXT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought our Durango new in 2003. It had a couple of issues which were covered under warranty.The exhaust manifold was leaking due to 3 broken bolts.Also,the a/c unit had a few issues. Since then it has been a very capable and reliable vehicle.We have the required maintenance done at the proper intervals and haven't had any issues since warranty expired. I recently got an enclosed trailer to haul 2 snowmobiles.I am pleasantly surprised at how well it tows the trailer. We live in Utah,and towing sleds requires going up hills(mountains). On grades over 6%,I have to put it in 2nd,but it still maintains 40 mph no problem. Overall,we are happy with this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Styling.I think this is one of the best looking suv"s ever made. Towing capacity is great.Very reliable too. Paint quality is excellent as well. No rattles,even after 10 years of ownership. Still on origional exhaust system.

Suggested Improvements

Of course the gas mileage sucks,but we all knew that going in.

True Love from Day 1
By rwood541

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought our Durango new as the 1st replacement for our minivan era as our oldest began high school. It has faithfully, stylishly, comfortably moved 2 kids across country to college and I don't want another car. I wish it would last forever. I love it! Solid, dependable, built to keep a family safe and on the move! And nothing more than normal maintanance...and one water pump! 152,411 miles and still runs like day one! And I swear the mileage is improving...it would have to!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing, it's perfect!

built like a Sherman tank
By daedmandave

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SXT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

i really do love my Durango. its survived a bad dealership trying to put it in the ground. its been rearended numerous times bulldozed a prius into oblivion and a few random deer into a sticky mess and the only damage its ever taken was a slight dent with a paint chip and a busted light. the engine is super tough pulled a fully loaded trailer across the country. as well as a regular pull of the horse trailer. only problem it ever had on its own was a bad water pump. main cooling fan went out and it never overheated, in phoenix in the middle of the summer. it could probably survive a nuclear bomb, my burnt skeletal corpse still holding the steering wheel and still be running

Favorite Features

1. plenty of power 2. Body is built like a tank 3.engine wont stop turning for the end of the world 4. broad sided a prius that ran a yeild sign and didnt even seem to slow down (paint chip and busted light with a 3in dent) 5. has been rearended 3 times at stoplights (no damage at all) 6. hit by three deer. aside from being covered in nastiness and hair stuck in doorjambs...(no damage) 7. dealership constantly sabatoging it (still wouldnt die) 8. girlfriend accidently put diesel fuel in it (ran like crap but still runs)

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy sucks, and should have came stock with a top mounted swivel turret.

Great SUV, great buy!
By pll4554

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I got my '03 Durango a few months ago with 130k miles on it, and I love it. It handles great - not much body roll, feels lighter than it is. Seats are very comfortable, and it has a LOT of power. The drivetrain is very responsive & the engine feels like it's bigger than 287 Cu. In. I DO wish there was more legroom for the 2nd row passengers as I am a big guy & leave my seat very far back. And yes, the gas mileage is poor (13/18 MPG), but I knew it when I bought it (probably why the car was so inexpensive). I like the styling & features of this generation of Durango. I'll write another review after I put some serious miles on it. After 5k miles so far I love it!

Favorite Features

Even the base stereo is good Responsive engine & transmission - V8!! Good acceleration & hauling capacity Very good handling Room for 7 people Excellent styling, not just another cookie-cutter SUV Comfortable interior Full array of gauges, not just warning lights Heavy duty cooling, suspension, etc. Logical layout of controls 4WD works great 4 wheel disc brakes

Suggested Improvements

Many were incorporated into the next gen Durango - More legroom for 2nd row passengers Better mileage - maybe a taller 5th gear As with all cars, MORE ACCURATE FUEL GAUGE