2003 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
2003 Durango slt 4.7
By gasguzzlr on 12/14/13 11:41 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SXT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought our Durango new in 2003. It had a couple of issues which were covered under warranty.The exhaust manifold was leaking due to 3 broken bolts.Also,the a/c unit had a few issues. Since then it has been a very capable and reliable vehicle.We have the required maintenance done at the proper intervals and haven't had any issues since warranty expired. I recently got an enclosed trailer to haul 2 snowmobiles.I am pleasantly surprised at how well it tows the trailer. We live in Utah,and towing sleds requires going up hills(mountains). On grades over 6%,I have to put it in 2nd,but it still maintains 40 mph no problem. Overall,we are happy with this vehicle.

True Love from Day 1
By rwood541 on 05/21/13 18:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought our Durango new as the 1st replacement for our minivan era as our oldest began high school. It has faithfully, stylishly, comfortably moved 2 kids across country to college and I don't want another car. I wish it would last forever. I love it! Solid, dependable, built to keep a family safe and on the move! And nothing more than normal maintanance...and one water pump! 152,411 miles and still runs like day one! And I swear the mileage is improving...it would have to!

built like a Sherman tank
By daedmandave on 08/16/12 11:37 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SXT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

i really do love my Durango. its survived a bad dealership trying to put it in the ground. its been rearended numerous times bulldozed a prius into oblivion and a few random deer into a sticky mess and the only damage its ever taken was a slight dent with a paint chip and a busted light. the engine is super tough pulled a fully loaded trailer across the country. as well as a regular pull of the horse trailer. only problem it ever had on its own was a bad water pump. main cooling fan went out and it never overheated, in phoenix in the middle of the summer. it could probably survive a nuclear bomb, my burnt skeletal corpse still holding the steering wheel and still be running

Great SUV, great buy!
By pll4554 on 05/28/12 05:35 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I got my '03 Durango a few months ago with 130k miles on it, and I love it. It handles great - not much body roll, feels lighter than it is. Seats are very comfortable, and it has a LOT of power. The drivetrain is very responsive & the engine feels like it's bigger than 287 Cu. In. I DO wish there was more legroom for the 2nd row passengers as I am a big guy & leave my seat very far back. And yes, the gas mileage is poor (13/18 MPG), but I knew it when I bought it (probably why the car was so inexpensive). I like the styling & features of this generation of Durango. I'll write another review after I put some serious miles on it. After 5k miles so far I love it!

Hands-down: This truck is a winner !
By bigdaddy61 on 11/18/11 07:23 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new and the love affair I've had with it hasn't dimmed since. I wanted something that could haul a car trailer & my '67 Fury, as well as maneuver well in the snowy N.Eastern PA mountains in winter. This truck has surpassed every expectation I had. While the mpg. aren't great, it wasn't a factor since I commute by rail 5 days a week. When I travel to the mountains with my 150# dog, luggage, and 3 other people - this truck still gets it done. Comfortably. With 150K on the clock, I've only replaced a fuel pump. I love this truck so much, i can't bear to trade it in. I've promised it to my mechanic, who admires it as much as I do. Say what you want about Dodge, I LOVE mine.

Good car
By cincykayaker on 05/31/11 13:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I got screwed by the dealership... The sold me a demo saying they were going to discount it $2k and then they secretly added it back in and smooth-talked me into believing they were honest until I went home and double checked the math. But this car has been reliable as hell even though it has been a gas hog. I blame the dealership and Dodge Headquarters for not responding to my complaint... but the vehicle itself is not to blame.

Amazing Durango!!
By rms2011 on 04/17/11 17:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2003 Durango new and have been driving it ever since. I drive alot and have put 240k miles on this SUV. It has been a great car! Great for pulling our horse trailer, hauling kids and as day to day work vehicle. I change the oil every 3k miles or so and other than normal maintenance I have had NO problems. Prior to the Durango I usually did not buy American cars...but the Durango changed my mind! I just bought a new car and bought another American made car. (smaller car, better gas mileage than the SUV) I'm keeping the Durango around too...how many miles can you go Durango!! Love our Durango...thanks Dodge!

In love
By Dennysgirl09 on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SXT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have always owned Mini-Vans and we had a Ford Explorer, Never again. I am so in love with this SUV. Yeah gas millage is low but it's worth it to me because this is just such a cool and fun SUV to drive. Handles like a dream, rain or shine. I haul kids every where so dependability and room along with comfort are a most and I got all that and then some.

Excellent Rig
By I Love My Durango on 10/22/09 02:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Fine, the mpg isn't great but what it lacks in that dept. it makes up for in every other category. Had I known how great Durangos are when they were introduced I wouldn't have waited until 07 to buy my 03. It's great! Plenty of power from the 4.7 (enough to tow my 68 Charger project on a flat bed), excellent turning radius, very reliable and just plain fun to drive. From deep snow to dry pavement the Durango handles it all. A dead battery and window moulding are the only issues I've had in more than 2.5 years of ownership. I can haul 8 people with the front buddy seat up and even managed to get a large dining table, six chairs and four people in it once. I just love it. It's a 4x4 muscle car.

Big suprise
By Mike on 10/19/09 09:09 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Durango SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Well, I must say that I have been pleasantley suprised with this vehicle. I have owned an Explorer and this Durango beats it hands down in every way! People are always quick to bad mouth Dodge but it has been my experience that vehicles take care of you when you take care of them...regular maintenance is key. This Durango is very comfortable and driving it around is fun. Great for long trips and also around town. Feels very solid and heavy. After driving this I could never go back to an Explorer, too small, too boring, and I had way too many problems with my FORD. If you are considering buying this vehicle, dont hesitate....trust me!!!