2003 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Hands-down: This truck is a winner !
By bigdaddy61 on 11/18/11 07:23 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new and the love affair I've had with it hasn't dimmed since. I wanted something that could haul a car trailer & my '67 Fury, as well as maneuver well in the snowy N.Eastern PA mountains in winter. This truck has surpassed every expectation I had. While the mpg. aren't great, it wasn't a factor since I commute by rail 5 days a week. When I travel to the mountains with my 150# dog, luggage, and 3 other people - this truck still gets it done. Comfortably. With 150K on the clock, I've only replaced a fuel pump. I love this truck so much, i can't bear to trade it in. I've promised it to my mechanic, who admires it as much as I do. Say what you want about Dodge, I LOVE mine.

Sleeper
By moparman on 11/06/08 16:48 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Durango. It's fast, looks good, very easy to drive (once you have owned it for about a week). Lots of power, great AWD system. Has everything but a sunroof.

Never Again
By George on 07/29/06 14:47 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

Owned R/T for several months now and regret trading in my Infiniti for it. Had 32K when purchased and had tie rod problems from the day I drove off lot. Wife broke down 3 days after purchase. Went back to have driver side window switch replaced due to failure, Window came off track At 44k transmission started slipping on highway at 65mph. Took to dealer and whole transmission needed to be replaced over $2k. Lucky I bought extended warranty but still cost me $425 out of pocket. Still doesn't feel right. Slips now when rear end hits any bump on highway. I am going with my wife this week to get rid of it and buy a foreign car. American cars are just not up to the quality level.

Good truck for me
By Joe on 08/03/05 11:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first SUV and I am very pleased with the performance, handling, and looks of the vehicle. Although I am skeptical from reading other reviews, I have had no problems with the vehicle. I purchased a 24 foot enclosed race car trailer (with stabalizing bars and sway bar control) and have had no problem with towing power, weight of 7300lbs. My only complaint is the narrowness of the vehicle. Even with adding extended mirrors it is difficult to see around the trailer. Due other reviews in Edmunds, I opted to buy the full extended service warranty. Looked at an '05 Expedition and my Durango had more interior cargo length (not width) and was easier to load.

Last one
By Durango 1 on 12/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

This is one of the wrost SUV's I have ever owned. This will be my last Dodge after 30 of Dodges. After renting a both Ford and Chevy SUV's for both road and off road, the Dodge does not compare in quailty. Enginee Problems (I use Mobil 1) bad handeling in the wind and I'm lucky to get 15 - 20 up mountain interstate. 18 wheelers pass me. The dealers have no idea of what the problem is. This is my 2nd and my last bad Dodge.

Excellent Suv
By Reroe on 11/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I have the Durango 5.9 R/T. It's beyond everything I expected it to be. Dodge has really came through by producing a Suv, that is "just right". This baby packs enough power to easily pull 7,000 pounds, and yet it seems that the big hefty engine is still asking for more. It's also a sharp looking ride. I get compliments on this thing quite often, and I have not yet added anything to it, nor have I made any modifications. It's all stock. Now that says a lot. Now I am really praising Dodge for their new redesigned 2004 Durango. It's 7inches longer, 4inches taller, and three inches wider than the ones that are out now. Great job Dodge, keep up the good work!!

Poor Quality & Reliability
By GKS on 11/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

Within the first 2,000 miles, the Durango has been returned to the dealer for warranty repairs to the a/c system, transmission, rear differential, weatherstrips, and seat cover material. The Durango SLT with the 5.9 engine was built very poorly and has very poor quality and reliability. I have no confidence in the vehicle's long-term reliability or dependability.

Best SUV out there
By CNickGrL on 11/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

This car is fun to drive and ver reliable. We have taken this car across country while pulling a 5th wheel and never had any problem and it still had great power.

Nice truck - if it's built right
By ipatrick on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

THe 5.9L v-8 is powerful, and the truck moves fast even with 6 passengers and luggage. 3rd row seat is fairly comfortable although legroom is lacking, and there's room behind the third seat which is nice. However, we have needed to replace virtually the entire drive train and continue to have problems. Fortunately, the work was covered by warranty, but the continual problems just aren't worth it.

poor
By baasenos on 05/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

Dodge does not back their product whatsoever. This was the most horrible experience I've ever encountered with a vehicle. I will never own another dodge product. Beware of the transmission and get the extended warranty.