Used 2003 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2003 Dodge Durango

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

10 years and counting
By Dapappa

2003 Dodge Durango SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this car when we had our first child back in 06. This vehicle has exceeded my expectations in many ways. The engine and trans are still very strong. I love my Durango and I plan on keeping for several more years. Well for one the resale value is horrible!

Love at 1st sight.
By Pathy Owner

2003 Dodge Durango Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Let me say I bought my 2003 Durango on Craig's List. Nuf said. After weeks of looking at used SUV's and dozens of scams I saw her, Baby Blue! Owner was sketchy, would only text "CASH!", very little English. Got a run around for a week before he admitted his Sis and Bro in law had the vehicle and gave me their number. ( yeah I had to her ) From the plate in the picture I could run a Car Fax. Leased for 11 years. Who leases a vehicle for 11 years? Someone who loves her! Regular maintenance and AC compressor changed, front shocks, nothing major.
I met the Sis and Bro the next day, ( Valentines Day! Serious ) with the text msgs I had with the kid and Kelly Blue Book and offered them the same deal: $2500, cash, bank at the Supermarket was open on Sunday. First time I saw her in person. Started and ran, test drove it with my wife. Oils were all clean, good acceleration and brakes. Smooth ride. It's not often my wife approves of my decisions. She assured me this was a good one is spite of the original poster wanting to meet me with "CASH" in some dark alley. They were at $2800 ( and I would have paid it ). He countered with $2600 and I countered with $2650! Sold!!
Worth Every Dollar ! Even with 184,000 the engine is sound and auto transmission works perfectly. Leather interior Does improve with age, but bought some covers to keep them looking good. Power at the expense of Gas Mileage. Huge interior. I needed a big cargo area for my business hauling tools and materials. I could Almost haul a 4 by 8 sheet of drywall in the back, just a little short. Yes I wish the back seats folded Flat! Or easier to remove. I thought I must be missing something, but no, it doesn't fold flat. :( And the split bench in back doesn't "pop" out like most. Bolted down. Made putting seat covers on the bench a pain.
Most of all, once I got used to the wide wheel base was the Ride. Smooth! Stable. Plows a bit around the twisty mountain roads where we live but that is the only time it reminds you that you are driving a Truck. I hear the front ball joints asking for attention again ( Replaced at 100,00 I think ). And the second morning I drove it i realized the Heater/AC Fan didn't work. Brrr! Went online and found this was common and easy for even me to fix. Cost me $10 including next day shipping to replace the Resistor under the glove box. Even a Caveman could do it! Some people reported paying $150 to have this done. Don't!
I stole this vehicle, paid more than they were asking, and probably should have paid more. Although I plan to do a tune up and oil change before I get the emissions tested I have no doubt it will pass with flying colors. I've ordered Oil and Tranny additives as preventive maintenance ( Not Lucas, this is better ) and for those things that I can't see. But as far as the eye can see she is a beauty, my Baby Blue!
I have owned a Pathfinder for the past 14 years. Bought it at 28,000 and she is nearing 240,000. Original. I mean I haven't changed anything but brakes once and oil occasionally. I intend to get 300,000 out of her, but she was getting old and deserved a semi retirement. I still love my Pathy and Nissan in general. But I have been converted! My Inlaws all seem to own Dodge's. Now I see the light!

Best of the best
By Russell Galloway

2003 Dodge Durango SXT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My 03 Durango is the best suv I have ever owned. I have owned 03 for Ford Escape poor mileage, oil leaks 3 alternators The list goes on and on. My Durango is the best car I have ever owned. In fact I want another one this time a 4 x4. All these reviews talk about bad gas mileage, I get 18 plus around town, if I turn off the AC I get in the low 20s. It is the best value for a used auto you can buy. My Escape was stolen which now was actually a blessing since I got my Durango. I haven't had this much fun driving with so much power ( 4.7 ) since my 1968 Camaro SS. The guy I bought it from purchased it from a buddy who had it sitting in a barn for a year. The lady that owned it didnt check the oil. Well after some partial rebuild this thing screams. I love this auto my only regret is I wish it was a 4x4 but I know with the correct tires and a lift kit you can go anywhere. I hope this helps you in your decision to purchase a Durango. One thing to to consider is the 03s are part of Mercedes partnership with Dodge

Reliable, Reliable, Reliable
By Rob

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

2003 Durango. only problem was the exhaust manifold leak (spent 300 with 112,00 miles). other than that reliable as can be.

Terrible vehicle !!!
By Doug Bartee

2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

2003 durango slt 4x4. Hands down the worst, most unreliable ,vehicle I have ever owned. This durango has been in the shop more than it has been on the road. The 4.7 could be the worst motor ever built. Drives like a tank and gets terrible gas mileage. I will Never buy another dodge. The only good dodges are the classics and a few of the trucks , mostly diesels 1st generation.