Used 2003 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Best of the best
By Russell Galloway

2003 Dodge Durango SXT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My 03 Durango is the best suv I have ever owned. I have owned 03 for Ford Escape poor mileage, oil leaks 3 alternators The list goes on and on. My Durango is the best car I have ever owned. In fact I want another one this time a 4 x4. All these reviews talk about bad gas mileage, I get 18 plus around town, if I turn off the AC I get in the low 20s. It is the best value for a used auto you can buy. My Escape was stolen which now was actually a blessing since I got my Durango. I haven't had this much fun driving with so much power ( 4.7 ) since my 1968 Camaro SS. The guy I bought it from purchased it from a buddy who had it sitting in a barn for a year. The lady that owned it didnt check the oil. Well after some partial rebuild this thing screams. I love this auto my only regret is I wish it was a 4x4 but I know with the correct tires and a lift kit you can go anywhere. I hope this helps you in your decision to purchase a Durango. One thing to to consider is the 03s are part of Mercedes partnership with Dodge

Reliable, Reliable, Reliable
By Rob

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

2003 Durango. only problem was the exhaust manifold leak (spent 300 with 112,00 miles). other than that reliable as can be.

Terrible vehicle !!!
By Doug Bartee

2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

2003 durango slt 4x4. Hands down the worst, most unreliable ,vehicle I have ever owned. This durango has been in the shop more than it has been on the road. The 4.7 could be the worst motor ever built. Drives like a tank and gets terrible gas mileage. I will Never buy another dodge. The only good dodges are the classics and a few of the trucks , mostly diesels 1st generation.

upsides and downsides
By jvote

2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

upsides are comfort,speed, power, as well as control based on wheel base you can park it in the tightest area you ever imagined. handles like a mid range car, with the horsepower of a sportscar and i have driven a 911 turbo. it doe'snt have the acceleration tho. of a 911 turbo. but it has alot of power and go. i am 3rd owner with 129k when bought. and was pleasantly suprised at the handling, with p265/75 tires 16" it drives better than most of the cars i have owned. small to large. and handles better than all of them. downside is the thunk of the trany, thats covered in a service bulliten with the ab code. not a problem. easy fix. a absolute pleasure to drive. would like to buy another one.

mine is a slt leather interior, all electric. alot of creature features, and the best part is it is customizable. intake and exhaust, speed chips and reprogram the ecm. as well as dress up chrome you name it. interior dvd all around. a vehicle you can have the whole family happy with. and it's versatile, fold down the seats and you go to the hardware store. love it! wish the other companies could make a competitive product like this. with the horsepower, and the comfort. dodge is on the right tract.

well, thats a hard one. a key code transmitter for the keyless entry? e.g. 10 digit touchpad, with a panic that sends cops? a one button push that diables the vehicle? until the correct code enables it? unbreakable windows? plexiglass or lexan? or a lam that would prevent breakage. or bullets. a disabled vehicle can't be used for a further crime. too bad bad guys. get a job.

2003 Durango slt 4.7
By gasguzzlr

2003 Dodge Durango SXT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought our Durango new in 2003. It had a couple of issues which were covered under warranty.The exhaust manifold was leaking due to 3 broken bolts.Also,the a/c unit had a few issues. Since then it has been a very capable and reliable vehicle.We have the required maintenance done at the proper intervals and haven't had any issues since warranty expired. I recently got an enclosed trailer to haul 2 snowmobiles.I am pleasantly surprised at how well it tows the trailer. We live in Utah,and towing sleds requires going up hills(mountains). On grades over 6%,I have to put it in 2nd,but it still maintains 40 mph no problem. Overall,we are happy with this vehicle.

Styling.I think this is one of the best looking suv"s ever made. Towing capacity is great.Very reliable too. Paint quality is excellent as well. No rattles,even after 10 years of ownership. Still on origional exhaust system.

Of course the gas mileage sucks,but we all knew that going in.

• SUV