2002 Dodge Durango Consumer Review: Great short term car

2002 Dodge Durango - Consumer Review

Great short term car
By Groot on

2002 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

First car I ever owned and I will never own another Dodge again. As I approached 100K several things started breaking (mechanical AC pump, transmission governor and governor solenoid, and now the brake interlock solenoid). The AC pump and interlock solenoid I can understand, but the powertrain warranty failed to cover an essential part of the transmission? Also the interlock solenoid can only be fixed by replacing the entire steering column as the part is NOT offered separately. Once they start to go they just go. Poorly designed and what good is a warranty that really covers next to nothing? Parts are too expensive and unreliable to make this a smart buy.

I loved the 6-disk CD player, until it died and is no longer available. Has great pickup at highway speeds or stopped. Also has nice safety features, and the upgraded stereo is really good when working. I did like the versatility of the back section.

Reliability, Warranty, Design. All significant problems that make this a vehicle that becomes much more expensive than the $35+K I had already paid for it. And of course MPG was awful. I will NEVER buy another dodge.