Used 2002 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

We love this truck
By Matt

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We've taken 2 long trips with this truck and have no complaints. It's comfortable, quiet, and we get 20 mpg on the freeway (running semi-syn 5w-30 oil and a K&N air filter). Plenty of power, excellent handling, excellect 4WD capabilities, comfortable 3rd seat (more comfortable than my parents Yukon! and you don't have to pull it out!) We highly recommend this vehicle to all our friends with kids-- and without. I have no idea why anyone would get the Hemi, it has plenty of power for the frame size. A/C works very well, even when it's 110 out. Dodge really thought this one out. We've had 1 repair the whole time we owned it, it was not critical it just bugged me.

Very well thought out interior, sylish exterior lines, 4.7 liter engine. Some of the body panels are cheap plastic, but the frame and powertrain are tough, believe me. We hit ice once, got air, hit the ground hard, and still drove it 20 miles home. We limped it, but we made it.

No one makes front tow hooks for it--I don't know why.

Excellant Vehicle
By Barbara

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I found the Dodge Durango to be a very reliable vehicle. I enjoy its comfortable interior design. It's also alot of fun to drive.

It has lots of storage room

The only suggestion is, find some way to improve gas mileage.

Love the Durango
By flipper

2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Although I have low mileage on this truck, I think it is one of the best vehicles I have owned. Absolutely no initial defects, no trips to the dealer except for the ball joint recall. I tow a 3000 pound boat with the small V8 and have no problems. My only gripe is that I wish the rear glass opened. It's also hard to back up or turn sharply in 4wd on dry solid pavement. I hate the 2005 re-design. They killed the looks.

The look. It looks like it has muscles. I also like the simple analog guages and controls.

Rear glass that opens. Redesign the new model to look more like this one.

02 SLT
By sylvia

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The Durango is a truck and performs as such! I love mine, have had no major problems at 56,000 miles. It isn't perfect, but for the money it beats anything else!

Visability, highway handling, dependability

Reclining rear seats, larger 3rd seat

Great truck
By Warren Johnson

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

One paint flaw and a transmission electric doo- hickey have been the only problems. This is my fifth Dodge. I really am a Dodge guy and this is one of their best. I am not too fond of the new body style though and will probably get a truck next. The gas mileage smokes the Ford and Chevy SUVs and it doesn't look like a big box. I tow a hybrid trailer on camping trips and am close to the GCWR and am very pleased with my performance. Get 9-13 mpg depending on terrain.

Third row seats and hidden cubby in back

They've done it now with the 5-speed trans and improved the MPG a tad. 2'nd row seating needs to be adjustable

• SUV