Used 2002 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

chrome pat. blue durango
By 87irocZ28camaro

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I just got a used 02 durango and this thing is great! before i had this i just bought a 99 expedition and it was ok but to bulky and like 90,000 miles so i took it back and got the durango. it's been a great suv ( looks like a truck! ) and i have a chrome grill, metallic gray bumpers, and rt performance tires. it's only a slt + with a 4.7 v8 magnum engine but it's still has a lot of power like my 87 iroc z28 camaro. a plus with this awesome truck is that it has a hundred miles below 60,000 miles so ain't to bad and the new durangos (04 - 09) arn't the best and they don't like a truck but my 02 durango has a great black, tan, and wood interior and that's cool looking. GET ONE!

interior, chrome, truck look, towing capability, and well the whole thing.

well nothing, oh maybe a little better mpg but the gas prices are going down so ya! but what do u expect with a 02 v8 engine

Get the warranty
By Groot

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I had my Durango for 5 years, in fact I got it right before gas prices went nuts! After about a month filling the tank wasn't fun anymore, but I still loved driving it. I loved this car and put it through its paces during the time I had it. Great handling, lots of power, and really nice and comfortable interior. I loved having this car.

Comfort of the seats, exterior, multiple climate zones, great handling, great power. I could seat a lot of people which proved useful many times.

Get the extended warranty, when they go, they go fast and expensive. 3 repair jobs ran me around $2500 (had to replace the entire steering column for a solenoid-poorly designed). It's a great vehicle, but it isn't cheap once it starts having problem.

Great short term car
By Groot

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

First car I ever owned and I will never own another Dodge again. As I approached 100K several things started breaking (mechanical AC pump, transmission governor and governor solenoid, and now the brake interlock solenoid). The AC pump and interlock solenoid I can understand, but the powertrain warranty failed to cover an essential part of the transmission? Also the interlock solenoid can only be fixed by replacing the entire steering column as the part is NOT offered separately. Once they start to go they just go. Poorly designed and what good is a warranty that really covers next to nothing? Parts are too expensive and unreliable to make this a smart buy.

I loved the 6-disk CD player, until it died and is no longer available. Has great pickup at highway speeds or stopped. Also has nice safety features, and the upgraded stereo is really good when working. I did like the versatility of the back section.

Reliability, Warranty, Design. All significant problems that make this a vehicle that becomes much more expensive than the $35+K I had already paid for it. And of course MPG was awful. I will NEVER buy another dodge.

I'm a belever!
By DURANG02

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned a lot of vehicles including Explorers and Blazers. I even work at a Ford dealership. I purchased my Durango last summer because I liked the agressive look of the Dodge and it had 3rd row seating, an option I was looking for. Since then I have put alot of miles on my Durango and I have to say I love the comfort and the design of the vehicle. I recently had to use the 4WD and it impressed me even more. The only bad thing I have to say about it is the fuel mileage is not all that great at about 15 mpg, but for all the other great great things about the vehicle. I can live with it.

The size of the vehicle, not too big but not too small. I love the agressive look of the 03 back Durango and the interior is perfect. Just like the vehicle was made for me.

The fuel mileage could be a little better.

100th Review
By :yB

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

There is no option for a 2001 R/T for some reason but it's essentially the same as a 2002. For the last 6 years my R/T has been completely reliable. I have had general maintenence repairs, tires, wipers, new battery, driving lights (headlights are still original) etc. but other than the gas cap failing to keep negative pressure in the tank, I have had no repairs. The only reason I am getting rid of my Durango is because the gas mileage is horrible (avg. 11.3) and it's time to update. While trying to figure out what to sell my Durango for I noticed a lot of them have 100k+ up to 200,000 miles on them. The resale is not what I expected but definitely competetive with similar models.

Body style, handling and power is far superior to similar models of the same year. Stadium style seating improves forward vision in the 3rd row and reduces motion sickness. A 6'6 person fits in any seat. From really comfy upfront to moderately comfortable in the way back.

Gas mileage... but they have already fixed that problem by sacrificed power and good looks. Storage behind 3rd seat is adequate but too often not enough if you have passengers in the 3rd row and can't fold it down. Leather steering wheel won't remain shiney and smooth. No major complaints.