2002 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Best vehicle I ever had
By In the Sun on 06/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

One cannot expect great gas mileage from an SUV. Other than cost of gas I have no complaints about this vehicle.

If it's hot where you live don't buy one
By A/C Doesn't work! on 05/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have a 2002 SLT Plus with 4.7L. I haven't had any major problems mechanically, but the A/C doesn't even begin to cool the car. If you run it on high all the time (You have too) then you develop a mildew smell. The dealer actually said, "don't run it on high then" They actually admit a design flaw - but no fix. I'm selling my $33,00 two year old durango now and Edmunds says it's worth about $16K - wonderful!

dodge kicks ass
By dodgewins4ever on 05/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

very powewrful very fast took a subaru wrx no prob nice smooth ride nice interior luv it

Pretty good
By michaelt on 05/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

For the most part, I'm happy with the vehicle. Fun to drive, has enough power, looks nice, easy to maneuver, controls are all accessible, sound system is fine. A few problems -- AC is abyssmal (I live in PHX and on a hot day it literally cannot get the car cool, even after an hour drive), sometimes the car slips out of gear, struggles a bit to wake up on a cold morning (and cold is relative in PHX).

Wheeeeeee
By Doggie on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

With over 30,000 miles of ownership I can tell you my Durango has been one of the best vehicle experiences I have ever enjoyed! My Durango is just as exciting to get in as it was the day I took it home. 4.7 Engine runs like a top! Brakes with anti-lock feature have saved me numerous times! Drivers seat lumbar bladder is the only item that has failed since new car delivery day. The steering of this vehicle is pure pleasure.

My second Durango
By ozfreak on 04/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second Durango. I have only had it a few months and it is wonderful! I purchased a 2002 only after my 2001 was totaled. I was rear ended by someone going 55 mph while I was at a stand still. I did one complete roll across a highway, but I walked away. The person in the other car wasn't so lucky-alive but hurt. I wanted a Nissan Altima until the accident, now I will drive nothing but a Durango. It held up like a champ and I know I am alive because of the way it is built. Highly recommend this vehicle.

She had to have it
By Davedoesn'tlikeDodge on 04/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My wife loved the look of the Durango. The sale was high pressure, but we did get a very good deal $7000 below sticker price. When we got it the ground strap wasn't hooked up, the rear washer didn't work, and the folding seats stuck,lack of attention to detail. They worked on the seat twice and still it doesn't work that good, a poorly designed and finished hinge/latch piece. The battery died at 24,000 miles and it runs rough if it hasn't run for a while. I do my own maintance, the lack of a gasket of the transmission pan is just stupid. Our dealer service experiences have been terrible and we will never again buy a Dodge or Chyrsler product.

JD's Dodge Durango
By JerDan on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After 10 years in an Explorer I thought I'd try the Durango - I'm pleasantly surprised. It rides like a truck - but then it is a truck - so you get what you bought! It's tough and powerful - plenty of torque and a strong bottom- end performer. The 4 wheel drive system is the best I've ever experienced - easy to engage/disengage and quiet. Good power curve and comfortable shift pattern. It looks good and performs even better. I'll be keeping my Durango as long as I did my Explorer, maybe longer!

Worst of the Worst
By kthrun on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I would like to hear from others who have problems with their Durango, we've had NONstop problems, starting from day one, A/C system replaced 3 times, blown transmission line that the dealership claimed did not exist (i took it off and wanted to fix it myself) until they towed the truck in...next day it was mysteriously fixed. Computer replaced twice, blown AIC whatever that supposedly made the truck stall out when stopped, replaced it, truck still stalls out when stopping, 4WD does not work now and the dealership claims they have "no idea" where is customer service? 4WD front CV joint went out with less than 58k miles...whats the deal? $36,000 LEMON.

dango 2002
By wctwig on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have no complaints with this vehicle. It's performed as I hoped it would.