Used 2002 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

It's been a great vehicle
By DrivinTexas

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Beyond some difficulty with the front suspension in the first few years, this has been a dependable vehicle. I really like the size -- it is big enough for dogs, garden equipment, and moving. Compared to the newer (bigger) SUVs it is pretty nimble. I was surprised by comments on fuel usage. On my last long trip I got 18.3 mpg, and because the throttle body needed cleaning, it wasn't even running that smoothly. Some efficient driving habits will probably drive up anyone's mileage, because I'm not doing anything special.

Favorite Features

The interior has held up to teenagers, farm dirt, and animals. Everything on it still works and nothing is broken despite family wear and tear.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to be able to remove the roof racks when they are not being used.

Loves the truck but hates the repairs
By drivesalot

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle for its looks and comfort on longer drives but it's constantly in the shop! After purchasing it I found out about all the down falls it has even though I looked for the negatives. When it gets to over 125,000 mi expect to have engine troubles soon after! Everyone I have met with one no matter how good they maintain theirs has had blown heads and needed new engines. Its great for getting through heavy snows but I have practically rebuilt the truck part by part since I bought it! No repair on it is cheap either. Even though I like the this vehicle if I could go back I would choose something else. I have put $1000s in repairs starting from a few months after purchasing it.

Favorite Features

Being in an area where we get several ft of snow at a time I like the ability to change to 4X4 when the roads are getting worse.

Suggested Improvements

Building them with more dependable parts! After 50,000 miles everything starts breaking over and over again. I have replaced some parts twice in four yrs. The engine is the worst repair yet!

So far so good
By jccables

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This vehicle had 125,000 miles on it and that's not a typo. Was a little wary of purchasing a vehicle with this amount of mileage on it but so far it's been an amazing vehicle. traded in my girlfriends Nissan 240 sx for this in light of having another child and needing a 3rd row seat. after putting over 5 thousand miles on it it still runs very good. my only complaint is the brakes. They work too well. I'm not as confident braking it as i should be because the anti lock works so well that if you push down even slightly too fast you'll snap everyone's neck with how harsh the stop is. took a lot of getting used to but other than that have no complaints about the vehicle.

Favorite Features

LOVE the black on black interior with the wood grain, the throaty V-8 is amazing and extremely smooth, sound system is great for stock and ride is extremely quiet on the highway for an SUV. The ride height is great and I'm looking forward to winter in it. Heated leather seats are def. a plus then :)

Suggested Improvements

the brakes. and a minor detail in the engine bay. Why does the coolant overflow have NO tubing to route it to the ground. When purchased they did a complete top off of fluids and noticed coolant just spraying everywhere when i stopped and looked in the engine bay. not good for certain components

Damn good SUV
By NYFREEZE

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have to say we bought this SUV and it already had 90,000 on it. Was a little worried about the millage but 2 yrs latter no worries at all. Are Durango currently has 123,000 and drives and looks new. Normal cost to operate tires, oil, mostly preventive maintenance. I live in upstate NY and the winters are very harsh and the 4x4 comes in very Handy. We only put it in 4wd when needed. We have a family of 6 and got sick and tired of the mini van thing and this took its place very admirably. Will never go back. Besides once you drive this in the winter you wont want anything else. Took this SUV everywhere.

Favorite Features

We love everything yes I said everything. From the power to its looks to the room it has, and the safety provides. To bad the newer style looks to bulky and wimpy.

Suggested Improvements

Many people would say gas here but it's a SUV. This is a V8 with power not a 4cyl.

Loved my Durango
By Happy Owner

2002 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

First I wasn't a fan of the Durango I only purchased it because the price was right and it was 4x4. I have to say the vehicle was great, I never had any major problems with it and I would have kept it forever had I not have totaled it. Keep up the regular oil changes, etc and you will love this car and it will be good to you!

Favorite Features

Reliable!