2002 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Piece of Junk
By Eric on 01/10/09 16:26 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I loved this car until the camshaft sheared off parts at 59k miles and cost me $2200 in repairs. Modern cars should not have camshafts breaking for no reason at 59,000 miles! This will be the last American car I buy.

2002 Pewter SLT 5.9 4x4
By CB on 10/29/08 22:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Spendy and ridiculous transmission replacement @ 81,000 miles. Mechanic discovered broken retainer ring when pan was dropped and filter removed. The truck made no noise and showed no sign of trouble, however metal rings are not supposed to be kicking around in the case. The truck wasn't even in the shop for this, the D,N,2,1 shift indicator wouldn't light up. Beware, these trannies can have issues. The truck has never been off road or pulled a boat. A Jasper transmission will run you $2500.00 plus install. For a bonus, I have had the front brakes redone 3 times in 3 years, Dodge dealer first, (had to go to small claims because the rotors got fried), next Les Schwab, (rotors grooved), got hot

chrome pat. blue durango
By 87irocZ28camaro on 09/13/08 21:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I just got a used 02 durango and this thing is great! before i had this i just bought a 99 expedition and it was ok but to bulky and like 90,000 miles so i took it back and got the durango. it's been a great suv ( looks like a truck! ) and i have a chrome grill, metallic gray bumpers, and rt performance tires. it's only a slt + with a 4.7 v8 magnum engine but it's still has a lot of power like my 87 iroc z28 camaro. a plus with this awesome truck is that it has a hundred miles below 60,000 miles so ain't to bad and the new durangos (04 - 09) arn't the best and they don't like a truck but my 02 durango has a great black, tan, and wood interior and that's cool looking. GET ONE!

Get the warranty
By Groot on 12/31/07 05:46 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I had my Durango for 5 years, in fact I got it right before gas prices went nuts! After about a month filling the tank wasn't fun anymore, but I still loved driving it. I loved this car and put it through its paces during the time I had it. Great handling, lots of power, and really nice and comfortable interior. I loved having this car.

Great short term car
By Groot on 12/22/07 21:49 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

First car I ever owned and I will never own another Dodge again. As I approached 100K several things started breaking (mechanical AC pump, transmission governor and governor solenoid, and now the brake interlock solenoid). The AC pump and interlock solenoid I can understand, but the powertrain warranty failed to cover an essential part of the transmission? Also the interlock solenoid can only be fixed by replacing the entire steering column as the part is NOT offered separately. Once they start to go they just go. Poorly designed and what good is a warranty that really covers next to nothing? Parts are too expensive and unreliable to make this a smart buy.

I'm a belever!
By DURANG02 on 12/09/07 06:23 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned a lot of vehicles including Explorers and Blazers. I even work at a Ford dealership. I purchased my Durango last summer because I liked the agressive look of the Dodge and it had 3rd row seating, an option I was looking for. Since then I have put alot of miles on my Durango and I have to say I love the comfort and the design of the vehicle. I recently had to use the 4WD and it impressed me even more. The only bad thing I have to say about it is the fuel mileage is not all that great at about 15 mpg, but for all the other great great things about the vehicle. I can live with it.

100th Review
By :yB on 11/23/07 20:11 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

There is no option for a 2001 R/T for some reason but it's essentially the same as a 2002. For the last 6 years my R/T has been completely reliable. I have had general maintenence repairs, tires, wipers, new battery, driving lights (headlights are still original) etc. but other than the gas cap failing to keep negative pressure in the tank, I have had no repairs. The only reason I am getting rid of my Durango is because the gas mileage is horrible (avg. 11.3) and it's time to update. While trying to figure out what to sell my Durango for I noticed a lot of them have 100k+ up to 200,000 miles on them. The resale is not what I expected but definitely competetive with similar models.

Love my Durango
By Mopar2008 on 09/14/07 20:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I got this Durango after my car was totaled in a hailstorm. I am very pleased with it. It has plenty of power when needed and is just the right size for me. So far it hasn't given me any problems. I am not going to complain about the gas mileage because I knew what I was getting into when I got it.

Love it!
By Daigs on 08/05/07 10:32 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've had great luck with my Durango. Only complaint is that the balljoints had to be replaced but that is common with these. Other than that, it's been flawless. I've got about 100,000 miles on it, no issues. The 4.7L V8 is a great engine!

Love my Durango!
By AlaskaMamaBear on 02/06/07 23:38 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this Durango as 2nd owners from a rental liquidator and were worried. But we have had no problems what-so-ever. I trust this vehicle in the Alaskan elements with my children on board. It's been a wonderful family vehicle. I feel very safe with the side curtain airbags in the both the front and back seats. I couldn't live without the third row seat! The cargo area is spacious enough for our two dogs, or a full Costco run, and has made a conveinent diaper changing station on more than one occasion! We've taken excellent car of our Durango, but I have to say it has taken even better car of us.