Used 2002 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews - 127 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Durango

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Still going
By maro71

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my Durango even though it only 2WD. I have been the one and only owner. I used to live in Hawaii and really didn't see a need for 4wd until I moved to PA. Anyway My wife and I get a good tuneup on the regular. We've had a few bumps on the road but they have been few and far in between. Most of our issues has been the mechanics didn't know what the heck they were doing. In Hawaii for example our mechanic told us that spark plugs only need changing every 2 years or something. Month later the truck stalled. Come to find out the spark plugs had burned out along with the wires. Overall I've really love it. It's not too big or too small. Just right.

I love the V8 engine though.

We got the 2wd sport with no frills but it was alright with me. I wish the back window would roll down so my dog could just chill out.

It's been a great vehicle
By DrivinTexas

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Beyond some difficulty with the front suspension in the first few years, this has been a dependable vehicle. I really like the size -- it is big enough for dogs, garden equipment, and moving. Compared to the newer (bigger) SUVs it is pretty nimble. I was surprised by comments on fuel usage. On my last long trip I got 18.3 mpg, and because the throttle body needed cleaning, it wasn't even running that smoothly. Some efficient driving habits will probably drive up anyone's mileage, because I'm not doing anything special.

The interior has held up to teenagers, farm dirt, and animals. Everything on it still works and nothing is broken despite family wear and tear.

I would like to be able to remove the roof racks when they are not being used.

Loves the truck but hates the repairs
By drivesalot

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle for its looks and comfort on longer drives but it's constantly in the shop! After purchasing it I found out about all the down falls it has even though I looked for the negatives. When it gets to over 125,000 mi expect to have engine troubles soon after! Everyone I have met with one no matter how good they maintain theirs has had blown heads and needed new engines. Its great for getting through heavy snows but I have practically rebuilt the truck part by part since I bought it! No repair on it is cheap either. Even though I like the this vehicle if I could go back I would choose something else. I have put $1000s in repairs starting from a few months after purchasing it.

Being in an area where we get several ft of snow at a time I like the ability to change to 4X4 when the roads are getting worse.

Building them with more dependable parts! After 50,000 miles everything starts breaking over and over again. I have replaced some parts twice in four yrs. The engine is the worst repair yet!

So far so good
By jccables

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This vehicle had 125,000 miles on it and that's not a typo. Was a little wary of purchasing a vehicle with this amount of mileage on it but so far it's been an amazing vehicle. traded in my girlfriends Nissan 240 sx for this in light of having another child and needing a 3rd row seat. after putting over 5 thousand miles on it it still runs very good. my only complaint is the brakes. They work too well. I'm not as confident braking it as i should be because the anti lock works so well that if you push down even slightly too fast you'll snap everyone's neck with how harsh the stop is. took a lot of getting used to but other than that have no complaints about the vehicle.

LOVE the black on black interior with the wood grain, the throaty V-8 is amazing and extremely smooth, sound system is great for stock and ride is extremely quiet on the highway for an SUV. The ride height is great and I'm looking forward to winter in it. Heated leather seats are def. a plus then :)

the brakes. and a minor detail in the engine bay. Why does the coolant overflow have NO tubing to route it to the ground. When purchased they did a complete top off of fluids and noticed coolant just spraying everywhere when i stopped and looked in the engine bay. not good for certain components

Damn good SUV
By NYFREEZE

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have to say we bought this SUV and it already had 90,000 on it. Was a little worried about the millage but 2 yrs latter no worries at all. Are Durango currently has 123,000 and drives and looks new. Normal cost to operate tires, oil, mostly preventive maintenance. I live in upstate NY and the winters are very harsh and the 4x4 comes in very Handy. We only put it in 4wd when needed. We have a family of 6 and got sick and tired of the mini van thing and this took its place very admirably. Will never go back. Besides once you drive this in the winter you wont want anything else. Took this SUV everywhere.

We love everything yes I said everything. From the power to its looks to the room it has, and the safety provides. To bad the newer style looks to bulky and wimpy.

Many people would say gas here but it's a SUV. This is a V8 with power not a 4cyl.