2002 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Loves the truck but hates the repairs
By drivesalot on 07/14/10 12:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle for its looks and comfort on longer drives but it's constantly in the shop! After purchasing it I found out about all the down falls it has even though I looked for the negatives. When it gets to over 125,000 mi expect to have engine troubles soon after! Everyone I have met with one no matter how good they maintain theirs has had blown heads and needed new engines. Its great for getting through heavy snows but I have practically rebuilt the truck part by part since I bought it! No repair on it is cheap either. Even though I like the this vehicle if I could go back I would choose something else. I have put $1000s in repairs starting from a few months after purchasing it.

So far so good
By jccables on 07/14/10 07:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This vehicle had 125,000 miles on it and that's not a typo. Was a little wary of purchasing a vehicle with this amount of mileage on it but so far it's been an amazing vehicle. traded in my girlfriends Nissan 240 sx for this in light of having another child and needing a 3rd row seat. after putting over 5 thousand miles on it it still runs very good. my only complaint is the brakes. They work too well. I'm not as confident braking it as i should be because the anti lock works so well that if you push down even slightly too fast you'll snap everyone's neck with how harsh the stop is. took a lot of getting used to but other than that have no complaints about the vehicle.

Damn good SUV
By NYFREEZE on 03/30/10 18:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have to say we bought this SUV and it already had 90,000 on it. Was a little worried about the millage but 2 yrs latter no worries at all. Are Durango currently has 123,000 and drives and looks new. Normal cost to operate tires, oil, mostly preventive maintenance. I live in upstate NY and the winters are very harsh and the 4x4 comes in very Handy. We only put it in 4wd when needed. We have a family of 6 and got sick and tired of the mini van thing and this took its place very admirably. Will never go back. Besides once you drive this in the winter you wont want anything else. Took this SUV everywhere.

Loved my Durango
By Happy Owner on 03/11/10 12:58 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

First I wasn't a fan of the Durango I only purchased it because the price was right and it was 4x4. I have to say the vehicle was great, I never had any major problems with it and I would have kept it forever had I not have totaled it. Keep up the regular oil changes, etc and you will love this car and it will be good to you!

3rd SUV I've Owned, and the BEST
By K-D on 02/19/10 16:39 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the SXT in 2005 and am still driving it daily. Love the engine and the look that is distinct vs Explorer, Trailblazer, etc. Great cargo room and perfect for weekend trips. Tows the 18 foot bass boat and trailer with ease. I owned a 1989 Blazer and a 1996 Explorer, and this has been MUCH better than the Blazer ever was, and even better than the Explorer (which was also very very good). In 4.5 years, I've just had oil changes, brake pads, and tires. Not a single maintenance issue outside of those regular ones. Drinks a lot of fuel, but I knew that going into the deal. I highly recommend this vehicle and will likely buy another Durango (hope they didn't change it too much).

Awesome first car
By AUSTIN on 12/22/09 15:44 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I got this as my first car about 2 months ago... I LOVE IT. I got a WELL MAINTAINED one, which explains why it hasn't fallen apart. I live in the hills, yet still get decent gas mileage. It drives like a dream. My friends love it. My dad loves it. Even my mom who hates suv's loves it. I have been camping, off roading, and have taken a road trip already. It's perfect for all of these things.

Best SUV ever owned!
By Trex20165 on 08/06/09 13:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a fantastic vehicle. I have owned it since new and now have 105,000 miles on it. The 5.9L engine has been bulletproof and the A/C is still ice cold. The R/T has limited slip differentials and the best traction of any 4-wheel drive I have owned. The exhaust system sounds great and the truck still drives like new. Original Goodyear Wrangler tires lasted 80,000 miles! My only complaint is the fuel economy which is about 12 around town.

NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS
By astewfam on 05/20/09 16:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After reading all the other review I had to say how great my dodge has been to me!!!!! I got my 02 durango in 03, i still have it but I'm looking to trade it in. I have only had a few minor problems. Something pertaining to the module that controls all the lights in the truck went out but it was still under warrenty. The certain part wasn't covered but I fussed and the dealership paid for it. I was surprised to read so many reviews were people have had bad experiences with their durangos.

Awesome, except...
By Seely on 05/05/09 13:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

... for the predictably dismal fuel economy. If you get one, USE PREMIUM GAS! Interior is clean, but a little cheap looking. I love the exterior styling, and the engine noise is addicting when revving, yet quiet when crusing at low engine speeds. The only notable problem we've had is a malfunctioning transmission speed sensor. The AWD is a lifesaver in Iowan winters, and, with it's ride height, has proven a useful vehicle when hunting. Lots of cargo room! And a fair tow rating (approx 5,000 lbs) increases versatility. And despite weighing 3 tons, doesn't feel too ponderous.

Good car, but expect major problems
By Mike Stone on 04/13/09 13:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a brand new 2002 Dodge Durango SXT. I loved the car, I owned it for close to 8 years and just recently sold it. I pampered that car, kept the car well maintained but I still had major mechanical issues fairly early. At 66K miles the transmission went out. The Primary Control Module died a year later. The fan clutch went out 3 different times, had to replace the radiator, upper and lower radiator hose and at 180K the torque converter went out, which means the transmission was soon on its way out. I definitely did not want to waist more money into repairs so I let it go. I probably will not ever own another Chrsyler made vehicle for the rest of my life. The quality just stinks.