Used 2002 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Durango

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

weak towing, crappy heads
By zcarguy73

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my durango for 9 g's with 32000 miles. for 30000 miles no problem. Started falling apart at 60000 miles. The window regulators are constantly breaking. Had an overheating problem at 70000 miles while towing 2000 pounds (and thats a maybe). No big deal so I thought. Changed out the cooling system and still overheating. You guessed it, blown heads. I loved this car until now. Time to move on. Never again will I buy a dodge gas vehicle. Seems there diesel's are the only thing worth it.

Favorite Features

I have had a lot of fun with the 4x4. I have been in some spots where I knew my vehicle was too heavy and I knew it was going to get stuck, but hte 4 lo pulled it out like nothing. Also the engine is very quick. fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy!!!! Come on, its a 4.7 liter v8 that gets worse fuel economy that the ford 5.4. Stop selling crap engines that blow heads. The 4.7 was supposed to be the fix to the 5.2 engine's head problems but just lives out dodge's crap legacy.

Great Vehicle So Far
By meathead1986

2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the Vehicle with about 120,000 on it and have had it for almost a year now. Fuel consumption is on the low side for an SUV but bearable in the fact that I haven't yet gotten stuck in the ND snow that tends to pile up around here. Having a 3rd row helps ALOT with 3 kids and the ride quality is the best i've experience so far in a REAL SUV. It is a little noisy when you're standing outside with it running but inside you can talk normally without yelling while you're cruising down the highway at 75 and I've only done regular maintenance on mine and its had nothing go wrong to date. only complaint is that with the 3rd row up there isn't much room left for cargo in the back...

Favorite Features

3rd row seating, heated seats, 4WD!!!, ride comfort, turning radius is really good for a larger SUV, ground clearance, nice loud Stereo, The build quality on the car is amazing(Its Built like a tank)

Suggested Improvements

When changing the oil there is a cap/plug you have to remove to get to the oil filter. When you remove this plug you still don't have quite enough room to get your tools and hands in there to remove it. Therefore I just remove the whole frong end cover just to change my oil... That is my only complaint though.

Time to Trade
By Mr. John Lennon

2002 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I like the sport car type driving this Rango has, I removed the Du on the back. I have not had the problems that everyone has noted. 73k I do all the maintenance. Because of the 5.9 slug blogs I used a produce called Auto RX. I just removed the valve cover today 10/21/10 very clean. But because of the comments on transmission problems I am thinking of something else and not a Dodge. Murphy might be just around the corner because of this post. I might chop it up and call it ART, or have a fund raiser shoot out. All in the name of Government Bailout. Now you got me going.

Favorite Features

Love it when you can STOMP on the GAS and your all wheel drive will keep those fat tires hold the pavement without braking. It's like a FAT sports car!

Suggested Improvements

Fix the problems that people post. It can't be all false.

My SUV
By Bryan

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My Durango belonged to my grandmother who worked on the assembly line in Detroits Dodge factory so it means a lot to me. It runs like a dream my friends love it we call it the Dragon! Smooth ride gr8 handing reminds me of my BMW around turns, keep up with the oil changes, rotate the tires for stability. Acceleration is AMAZING better than the 2010 BMW X5 mine has 72,600 on it put 1,300 on it this weekend on a trip from VA to Detroit and it was gr8 very reliable. Ive seen Durangos with 190k on them. gr8 SAFE 1st car for high school/college students. Ive been in 2 front end collisions in it and walked away from both without a scratch even on the 40 mph collision the medic was shocked

Favorite Features

I like the power under the hood the engine sounds gr8 Leather looks gr8 after all these years trunk in ground storage is gr8 sound system is gr8 for a stock system 4wd is amazing in the snow and mud a college students dream holds up Gr8 in accidents! Jerked the wheel going 70 mph and NO roll!

Suggested Improvements

Breaks worry me at times breaking hard sometimes they slip, improve the quality of interior parts. Everything is plastic Mopar could learn a thing or 2 from European manufactures.

Still going
By maro71

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my Durango even though it only 2WD. I have been the one and only owner. I used to live in Hawaii and really didn't see a need for 4wd until I moved to PA. Anyway My wife and I get a good tuneup on the regular. We've had a few bumps on the road but they have been few and far in between. Most of our issues has been the mechanics didn't know what the heck they were doing. In Hawaii for example our mechanic told us that spark plugs only need changing every 2 years or something. Month later the truck stalled. Come to find out the spark plugs had burned out along with the wires. Overall I've really love it. It's not too big or too small. Just right.

Favorite Features

I love the V8 engine though.

Suggested Improvements

We got the 2wd sport with no frills but it was alright with me. I wish the back window would roll down so my dog could just chill out.