Used 2002 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Love our big black toy
By shane138821

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

we bought this durango about 6 months ago. When we purchased her, she had 151,000 miles on her and she ran great. now Just from six months time she still runs perfect and has just rolled over 200,000. this truck has never asked us for anymore the common maintnence and a set of shocks. And even with her age and miles i still won't hesitate to run her the 1,800 miles back to the state of nevada next week. her fuel milage is a bit on the expensive side. but with the raw power and the fact that i can shoot around just about any corner with ease its well worth giving up a few extra bucks in gas.

Towing capabilities, raw power, the 4wd never gets stuck. and the general looks of the body style its rugged and masculine features just make this durango a very nice ride to own

the power door locks consistantly give me fits half the time the only way to unlock the tailgate is to hit the passenger lock switch. and if the back door isn't shut all the way then you cant talk the windows into rolling down to save yourself

Best of the Best
By action_nad

2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have had my Durango for over 4 years now, put over 50,000 miles on it, and to this day with over 148,000 on the odometer, it is still a monster.
Never had any major issues outside of what is to be expected.
Plenty of get up and go for a land yacht, more than enough room for 7 people or 2 people and some luggage.
Perfect for joy riding or road trips.
Towed a 26' trailer with no issues, and have never gotten stranded off road or in bad weather.
The 360 V8 not only does a great job with working, but playing also.
Have embarrassed more than a few ricers at stop lights.

Build quality. Easy to work on. Powerful. Comfortable. Spacious. Fun to drive.

Fuel Economy, but it's to be expected. This isn't a Prius.

weak towing, crappy heads
By zcarguy73

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my durango for 9 g's with 32000 miles. for 30000 miles no problem. Started falling apart at 60000 miles. The window regulators are constantly breaking. Had an overheating problem at 70000 miles while towing 2000 pounds (and thats a maybe). No big deal so I thought. Changed out the cooling system and still overheating. You guessed it, blown heads. I loved this car until now. Time to move on. Never again will I buy a dodge gas vehicle. Seems there diesel's are the only thing worth it.

I have had a lot of fun with the 4x4. I have been in some spots where I knew my vehicle was too heavy and I knew it was going to get stuck, but hte 4 lo pulled it out like nothing. Also the engine is very quick. fun to drive.

Fuel economy!!!! Come on, its a 4.7 liter v8 that gets worse fuel economy that the ford 5.4. Stop selling crap engines that blow heads. The 4.7 was supposed to be the fix to the 5.2 engine's head problems but just lives out dodge's crap legacy.

Great Vehicle So Far
By meathead1986

2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the Vehicle with about 120,000 on it and have had it for almost a year now. Fuel consumption is on the low side for an SUV but bearable in the fact that I haven't yet gotten stuck in the ND snow that tends to pile up around here.
Having a 3rd row helps ALOT with 3 kids and the ride quality is the best i've experience so far in a REAL SUV.
It is a little noisy when you're standing outside with it running but inside you can talk normally without yelling while you're cruising down the highway at 75 and I've only done regular maintenance on mine and its had nothing go wrong to date.
only complaint is that with the 3rd row up there isn't much room left for cargo in the back...

3rd row seating, heated seats, 4WD!!!, ride comfort, turning radius is really good for a larger SUV, ground clearance, nice loud Stereo, The build quality on the car is amazing(Its Built like a tank)

When changing the oil there is a cap/plug you have to remove to get to the oil filter. When you remove this plug you still don't have quite enough room to get your tools and hands in there to remove it. Therefore I just remove the whole frong end cover just to change my oil... That is my only complaint though.

Time to Trade
By Mr. John Lennon

2002 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I like the sport car type driving this Rango has, I removed the Du on the back. I have not had the problems that everyone has noted. 73k I do all the maintenance. Because of the 5.9 slug blogs I used a produce called Auto RX. I just removed the valve cover today 10/21/10 very clean. But because of the comments on transmission problems I am thinking of something else and not a Dodge. Murphy might be just around the corner because of this post. I might chop it up and call it ART, or have a fund raiser shoot out. All in the name of Government Bailout. Now you got me going.

Love it when you can STOMP on the GAS and your all wheel drive will keep those fat tires hold the pavement without braking. It's like a FAT sports car!

Fix the problems that people post. It can't be all false.