2002 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Time to Trade
By Mr. John Lennon on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I like the sport car type driving this Rango has, I removed the Du on the back. I have not had the problems that everyone has noted. 73k I do all the maintenance. Because of the 5.9 slug blogs I used a produce called Auto RX. I just removed the valve cover today 10/21/10 very clean. But because of the comments on transmission problems I am thinking of something else and not a Dodge. Murphy might be just around the corner because of this post. I might chop it up and call it ART, or have a fund raiser shoot out. All in the name of Government Bailout. Now you got me going.

Best SUV ever owned!
By Trex20165 on 08/06/09 13:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a fantastic vehicle. I have owned it since new and now have 105,000 miles on it. The 5.9L engine has been bulletproof and the A/C is still ice cold. The R/T has limited slip differentials and the best traction of any 4-wheel drive I have owned. The exhaust system sounds great and the truck still drives like new. Original Goodyear Wrangler tires lasted 80,000 miles! My only complaint is the fuel economy which is about 12 around town.

Get the warranty
By Groot on 12/31/07 05:46 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I had my Durango for 5 years, in fact I got it right before gas prices went nuts! After about a month filling the tank wasn't fun anymore, but I still loved driving it. I loved this car and put it through its paces during the time I had it. Great handling, lots of power, and really nice and comfortable interior. I loved having this car.

Great short term car
By Groot on 12/22/07 21:49 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

First car I ever owned and I will never own another Dodge again. As I approached 100K several things started breaking (mechanical AC pump, transmission governor and governor solenoid, and now the brake interlock solenoid). The AC pump and interlock solenoid I can understand, but the powertrain warranty failed to cover an essential part of the transmission? Also the interlock solenoid can only be fixed by replacing the entire steering column as the part is NOT offered separately. Once they start to go they just go. Poorly designed and what good is a warranty that really covers next to nothing? Parts are too expensive and unreliable to make this a smart buy.

100th Review
By :yB on 11/23/07 20:11 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

There is no option for a 2001 R/T for some reason but it's essentially the same as a 2002. For the last 6 years my R/T has been completely reliable. I have had general maintenence repairs, tires, wipers, new battery, driving lights (headlights are still original) etc. but other than the gas cap failing to keep negative pressure in the tank, I have had no repairs. The only reason I am getting rid of my Durango is because the gas mileage is horrible (avg. 11.3) and it's time to update. While trying to figure out what to sell my Durango for I noticed a lot of them have 100k+ up to 200,000 miles on them. The resale is not what I expected but definitely competetive with similar models.

Durango R/T
By Ryan on 11/13/06 17:34 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

No breakdowns except for standard service calls. One emission sensor failed during warranty.

Best vehicle I ever had
By In the Sun on 06/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

One cannot expect great gas mileage from an SUV. Other than cost of gas I have no complaints about this vehicle.

R/T sweetness
By dani rotcorp on 12/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I love the power. We have traveled between Utah and Indiana 3 times with a 3 year old and it has plenty of room for all the toys with the rear seat laid flat. I have installed a K&N cone filter to improve air flow and the difference is AWESOME. We recently put Toyo Proxy S/T tires on for all season performance. What a difference, it handles so much better now.

A Definite Dodge RT Woman
By RTLover on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Dodge Durango. My first was a 99 4WD that I thought was great until I purchased a 2002 R/T. The AWD is wonderful in bad weather. I have never purchased the same vehicle twice - but I can see a 3rd R/T in the future. Love the Handling and lot of room. The chrome wheels are a nice addition!!

Power Packed
By Durdago on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

My wife and I traded in her gutless Toyota 4-Runner (purchased before we were married) for a 2001 Durango with the 5.9L engine and the R/T package. Shortly after we moved from Maryland to Oregon (3200 miles). We towed my Mustang on a flat bed trailer, with both cars fully loaded. The Durango did it easily and at 85mph most of the way. We averaged 10mpg@85mph and 13mpg@65mph, while towing.