2002 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
My SUV
By Bryan on 08/10/10 07:10 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My Durango belonged to my grandmother who worked on the assembly line in Detroits Dodge factory so it means a lot to me. It runs like a dream my friends love it we call it the Dragon! Smooth ride gr8 handing reminds me of my BMW around turns, keep up with the oil changes, rotate the tires for stability. Acceleration is AMAZING better than the 2010 BMW X5 mine has 72,600 on it put 1,300 on it this weekend on a trip from VA to Detroit and it was gr8 very reliable. Ive seen Durangos with 190k on them. gr8 SAFE 1st car for high school/college students. Ive been in 2 front end collisions in it and walked away from both without a scratch even on the 40 mph collision the medic was shocked

It's been a great vehicle
By DrivinTexas on 08/03/10 20:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Beyond some difficulty with the front suspension in the first few years, this has been a dependable vehicle. I really like the size -- it is big enough for dogs, garden equipment, and moving. Compared to the newer (bigger) SUVs it is pretty nimble. I was surprised by comments on fuel usage. On my last long trip I got 18.3 mpg, and because the throttle body needed cleaning, it wasn't even running that smoothly. Some efficient driving habits will probably drive up anyone's mileage, because I'm not doing anything special.

Great SUV
By DS on 07/02/06 14:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle new in '01. Have had zero problems and I'm very happy with the performance of the 4.7 engine. Towing a 17 foot boot is a non-issue. The gas mileage is ok. The paint has put up with the everyday use and its kept outside 24/7. The rear end is a little loose in the snow while in 2wd. Other than that a real nice ride for this car. Plenty of go when needed.

02 SLT
By sylvia on 03/30/05 00:55 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The Durango is a truck and performs as such! I love mine, have had no major problems at 56,000 miles. It isn't perfect, but for the money it beats anything else!

Great truck
By Warren Johnson on 02/08/05 13:26 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

One paint flaw and a transmission electric doo- hickey have been the only problems. This is my fifth Dodge. I really am a Dodge guy and this is one of their best. I am not too fond of the new body style though and will probably get a truck next. The gas mileage smokes the Ford and Chevy SUVs and it doesn't look like a big box. I tow a hybrid trailer on camping trips and am close to the GCWR and am very pleased with my performance. Get 9-13 mpg depending on terrain.

Durango's are good vehicles
By mike fonte on 08/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Durango has good pick up and engine power when needed. It handles quite well and is compact enough to fit in tigh places. Interior is some what compact. The fold down seats are a plus with the third row it seats 7-8 passengers.

02 Durango
By av8r on 08/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Overall a good vehicle. Truck-based SUV handles rough terrain better than a car-based. Finally got needed face lift in 04 but the truck got heavier and has sacrificed power and some convenience (cannot get cass player anymore) Also, new seats are hard as a rock.

My second Durango
By ozfreak on 04/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second Durango. I have only had it a few months and it is wonderful! I purchased a 2002 only after my 2001 was totaled. I was rear ended by someone going 55 mph while I was at a stand still. I did one complete roll across a highway, but I walked away. The person in the other car wasn't so lucky-alive but hurt. I wanted a Nissan Altima until the accident, now I will drive nothing but a Durango. It held up like a champ and I know I am alive because of the way it is built. Highly recommend this vehicle.

JD's Dodge Durango
By JerDan on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After 10 years in an Explorer I thought I'd try the Durango - I'm pleasantly surprised. It rides like a truck - but then it is a truck - so you get what you bought! It's tough and powerful - plenty of torque and a strong bottom- end performer. The 4 wheel drive system is the best I've ever experienced - easy to engage/disengage and quiet. Good power curve and comfortable shift pattern. It looks good and performs even better. I'll be keeping my Durango as long as I did my Explorer, maybe longer!

Give it a Chance
By joedurango on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am tired of hearing about how the Durango gets bad reviews in Consumer Reports. I've had mine for 2 years and 30,000 miles and I haven't had one problem. It rides like a truck, not some sissy SUV.