Used 2002 Dodge Durango R/T SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Love that RT
By Wobe2002

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

Bought it in 2011 w/ 56,000 miles on it, never needed more than regular maintenance on it. Gas mileage leaves a lot to be desired but hey, it's a 5.9 L V8, what really do you expect? Inside and out it's a real looker w/ great performance. Luxury inside and out. Great safety rating as I can attest to, not much can be said for the Toyota Corolla. Still drive it today as a daily driver w/ absolutely no problems up steep hills in deep snow, also no problems pulling a 33' camper up steep hills. All around great vehicle as many other 4x4's will tell you after being pulled out of the snow.

2002 Durango R/T
By ronniechoate34

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our Durango with 126,000 miles on her. The transmission needed replacing, the heater hose and the upper and lower radiator hoses all needed replacement. The radiator and the thermostat were both shot. The front brakes, the power booster and master cylinder on the Durango needed replacement and so did a wheel hub. The brake hoses had been replaced by the previous owner in the two years prior to my purchasing the vehicle. There are still problems with the heater as the rear of the truck only blows cool air from the vents. Not too great in the winter time. There were other minor problems with the truck, but after sinking a small fortune into it I'm hoping it will hold up for years.

Time to Trade
By Mr. John Lennon

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I like the sport car type driving this Rango has, I removed the Du on the back. I have not had the problems that everyone has noted. 73k I do all the maintenance. Because of the 5.9 slug blogs I used a produce called Auto RX. I just removed the valve cover today 10/21/10 very clean. But because of the comments on transmission problems I am thinking of something else and not a Dodge. Murphy might be just around the corner because of this post. I might chop it up and call it ART, or have a fund raiser shoot out. All in the name of Government Bailout. Now you got me going.

Love it when you can STOMP on the GAS and your all wheel drive will keep those fat tires hold the pavement without braking. It's like a FAT sports car!

Fix the problems that people post. It can't be all false.

Best SUV ever owned!
By Trex20165

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a fantastic vehicle. I have owned it since new and now have 105,000 miles on it. The 5.9L engine has been bulletproof and the A/C is still ice cold. The R/T has limited slip differentials and the best traction of any 4-wheel drive I have owned. The exhaust system sounds great and the truck still drives like new. Original Goodyear Wrangler tires lasted 80,000 miles! My only complaint is the fuel economy which is about 12 around town.

Heated Leather seats, Exhaust system sound

Get the warranty
By Groot

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I had my Durango for 5 years, in fact I got it right before gas prices went nuts! After about a month filling the tank wasn't fun anymore, but I still loved driving it. I loved this car and put it through its paces during the time I had it. Great handling, lots of power, and really nice and comfortable interior. I loved having this car.

Comfort of the seats, exterior, multiple climate zones, great handling, great power. I could seat a lot of people which proved useful many times.

Get the extended warranty, when they go, they go fast and expensive. 3 repair jobs ran me around $2500 (had to replace the entire steering column for a solenoid-poorly designed). It's a great vehicle, but it isn't cheap once it starts having problem.

• SUV