2002 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
I LOVE it!
By pennylou99 on 01/21/14 17:47 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The gas mileage is horrible. But other than that. I love this truck. I have never had any major issues with it. Normal repairs. If you keep the maintenance up on this, your Dodge will run for a long time! I'm right at 140k miles and the engine is solid. I drive kinda crazy and needed something that could handle my lead foot. I'm like to be quick on take offs, so this truck has been perfect for me!

Great Ride, Mechanical Nightmare
By samwill89 on 06/16/13 16:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought a used 2002 Durango Sport at 95k miles. Was immaculate inside and out. The good: Fit my large 6'5 frame comfortably. Fit my 6'6 twin sons well too. Nice controls and easy ride on all terrains. The bad: Constant overheating. Replaced fan clutch and thermostat within a month of owning it. Still would overheat. After 10k miles of use, blown head gasket. I will NEVER buy another Dodge vehicle again. Sad, because I really liked the SUV. Not worth the mechanical problems that are SURE to happen.

Love our big black toy
By shane138821 on 04/05/13 21:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

we bought this durango about 6 months ago. When we purchased her, she had 151,000 miles on her and she ran great. now Just from six months time she still runs perfect and has just rolled over 200,000. this truck has never asked us for anymore the common maintnence and a set of shocks. And even with her age and miles i still won't hesitate to run her the 1,800 miles back to the state of nevada next week. her fuel milage is a bit on the expensive side. but with the raw power and the fact that i can shoot around just about any corner with ease its well worth giving up a few extra bucks in gas.

Best of the Best
By action_nad on 02/18/13 21:02 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have had my Durango for over 4 years now, put over 50,000 miles on it, and to this day with over 148,000 on the odometer, it is still a monster. Never had any major issues outside of what is to be expected. Plenty of get up and go for a land yacht, more than enough room for 7 people or 2 people and some luggage. Perfect for joy riding or road trips. Towed a 26' trailer with no issues, and have never gotten stranded off road or in bad weather. The 360 V8 not only does a great job with working, but playing also. Have embarrassed more than a few ricers at stop lights.

weak towing, crappy heads
By zcarguy73 on 08/11/12 15:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my durango for 9 g's with 32000 miles. for 30000 miles no problem. Started falling apart at 60000 miles. The window regulators are constantly breaking. Had an overheating problem at 70000 miles while towing 2000 pounds (and thats a maybe). No big deal so I thought. Changed out the cooling system and still overheating. You guessed it, blown heads. I loved this car until now. Time to move on. Never again will I buy a dodge gas vehicle. Seems there diesel's are the only thing worth it.

Great Vehicle So Far
By meathead1986 on 01/25/11 08:41 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the Vehicle with about 120,000 on it and have had it for almost a year now. Fuel consumption is on the low side for an SUV but bearable in the fact that I haven't yet gotten stuck in the ND snow that tends to pile up around here. Having a 3rd row helps ALOT with 3 kids and the ride quality is the best i've experience so far in a REAL SUV. It is a little noisy when you're standing outside with it running but inside you can talk normally without yelling while you're cruising down the highway at 75 and I've only done regular maintenance on mine and its had nothing go wrong to date. only complaint is that with the 3rd row up there isn't much room left for cargo in the back...

Time to Trade
By Mr. John Lennon on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I like the sport car type driving this Rango has, I removed the Du on the back. I have not had the problems that everyone has noted. 73k I do all the maintenance. Because of the 5.9 slug blogs I used a produce called Auto RX. I just removed the valve cover today 10/21/10 very clean. But because of the comments on transmission problems I am thinking of something else and not a Dodge. Murphy might be just around the corner because of this post. I might chop it up and call it ART, or have a fund raiser shoot out. All in the name of Government Bailout. Now you got me going.

My SUV
By Bryan on 08/10/10 07:10 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My Durango belonged to my grandmother who worked on the assembly line in Detroits Dodge factory so it means a lot to me. It runs like a dream my friends love it we call it the Dragon! Smooth ride gr8 handing reminds me of my BMW around turns, keep up with the oil changes, rotate the tires for stability. Acceleration is AMAZING better than the 2010 BMW X5 mine has 72,600 on it put 1,300 on it this weekend on a trip from VA to Detroit and it was gr8 very reliable. Ive seen Durangos with 190k on them. gr8 SAFE 1st car for high school/college students. Ive been in 2 front end collisions in it and walked away from both without a scratch even on the 40 mph collision the medic was shocked

Still going
By maro71 on 08/07/10 07:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my Durango even though it only 2WD. I have been the one and only owner. I used to live in Hawaii and really didn't see a need for 4wd until I moved to PA. Anyway My wife and I get a good tuneup on the regular. We've had a few bumps on the road but they have been few and far in between. Most of our issues has been the mechanics didn't know what the heck they were doing. In Hawaii for example our mechanic told us that spark plugs only need changing every 2 years or something. Month later the truck stalled. Come to find out the spark plugs had burned out along with the wires. Overall I've really love it. It's not too big or too small. Just right.

It's been a great vehicle
By DrivinTexas on 08/03/10 20:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Beyond some difficulty with the front suspension in the first few years, this has been a dependable vehicle. I really like the size -- it is big enough for dogs, garden equipment, and moving. Compared to the newer (bigger) SUVs it is pretty nimble. I was surprised by comments on fuel usage. On my last long trip I got 18.3 mpg, and because the throttle body needed cleaning, it wasn't even running that smoothly. Some efficient driving habits will probably drive up anyone's mileage, because I'm not doing anything special.