Used 2002 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Love that RT
By Wobe2002

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

Bought it in 2011 w/ 56,000 miles on it, never needed more than regular maintenance on it. Gas mileage leaves a lot to be desired but hey, it's a 5.9 L V8, what really do you expect? Inside and out it's a real looker w/ great performance. Luxury inside and out. Great safety rating as I can attest to, not much can be said for the Toyota Corolla. Still drive it today as a daily driver w/ absolutely no problems up steep hills in deep snow, also no problems pulling a 33' camper up steep hills. All around great vehicle as many other 4x4's will tell you after being pulled out of the snow.

2002 Durango R/T
By ronniechoate34

2002 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our Durango with 126,000 miles on her. The transmission needed replacing, the heater hose and the upper and lower radiator hoses all needed replacement. The radiator and the thermostat were both shot. The front brakes, the power booster and master cylinder on the Durango needed replacement and so did a wheel hub. The brake hoses had been replaced by the previous owner in the two years prior to my purchasing the vehicle. There are still problems with the heater as the rear of the truck only blows cool air from the vents. Not too great in the winter time. There were other minor problems with the truck, but after sinking a small fortune into it I'm hoping it will hold up for years.

I LOVE it!
By pennylou99

2002 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The gas mileage is horrible. But other than that. I love this truck. I have never had any major issues with it. Normal repairs. If you keep the maintenance up on this, your Dodge will run for a long time! I'm right at 140k miles and the engine is solid. I drive kinda crazy and needed something that could handle my lead foot. I'm like to be quick on take offs, so this truck has been perfect for me!

Power!!! Lots of cargo space. Lots! Love it!

If only it could get good gas mileage... I'd own a Durango for the rest of my life!!

Great Ride, Mechanical Nightmare
By samwill89

2002 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought a used 2002 Durango Sport at 95k miles. Was immaculate inside and out. The good: Fit my large 6'5 frame comfortably. Fit my 6'6 twin sons well too. Nice controls and easy ride on all terrains. The bad: Constant overheating. Replaced fan clutch and thermostat within a month of owning it. Still would overheat. After 10k miles of use, blown head gasket. I will NEVER buy another Dodge vehicle again. Sad, because I really liked the SUV. Not worth the mechanical problems that are SURE to happen.

Look, style, handling

Engine improvement

Love our big black toy
By shane138821

2002 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

we bought this durango about 6 months ago. When we purchased her, she had 151,000 miles on her and she ran great. now Just from six months time she still runs perfect and has just rolled over 200,000. this truck has never asked us for anymore the common maintnence and a set of shocks. And even with her age and miles i still won't hesitate to run her the 1,800 miles back to the state of nevada next week. her fuel milage is a bit on the expensive side. but with the raw power and the fact that i can shoot around just about any corner with ease its well worth giving up a few extra bucks in gas.

Towing capabilities, raw power, the 4wd never gets stuck. and the general looks of the body style its rugged and masculine features just make this durango a very nice ride to own

the power door locks consistantly give me fits half the time the only way to unlock the tailgate is to hit the passenger lock switch. and if the back door isn't shut all the way then you cant talk the windows into rolling down to save yourself

• SUV