Used 2002 Dodge Durango SLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

My SUV
By Bryan

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My Durango belonged to my grandmother who worked on the assembly line in Detroits Dodge factory so it means a lot to me. It runs like a dream my friends love it we call it the Dragon! Smooth ride gr8 handing reminds me of my BMW around turns, keep up with the oil changes, rotate the tires for stability. Acceleration is AMAZING better than the 2010 BMW X5 mine has 72,600 on it put 1,300 on it this weekend on a trip from VA to Detroit and it was gr8 very reliable. Ive seen Durangos with 190k on them. gr8 SAFE 1st car for high school/college students. Ive been in 2 front end collisions in it and walked away from both without a scratch even on the 40 mph collision the medic was shocked

I like the power under the hood the engine sounds gr8 Leather looks gr8 after all these years trunk in ground storage is gr8 sound system is gr8 for a stock system 4wd is amazing in the snow and mud a college students dream holds up Gr8 in accidents! Jerked the wheel going 70 mph and NO roll!

Breaks worry me at times breaking hard sometimes they slip, improve the quality of interior parts. Everything is plastic Mopar could learn a thing or 2 from European manufactures.

It's been a great vehicle
By DrivinTexas

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Beyond some difficulty with the front suspension in the first few years, this has been a dependable vehicle. I really like the size -- it is big enough for dogs, garden equipment, and moving. Compared to the newer (bigger) SUVs it is pretty nimble. I was surprised by comments on fuel usage. On my last long trip I got 18.3 mpg, and because the throttle body needed cleaning, it wasn't even running that smoothly. Some efficient driving habits will probably drive up anyone's mileage, because I'm not doing anything special.

The interior has held up to teenagers, farm dirt, and animals. Everything on it still works and nothing is broken despite family wear and tear.

I would like to be able to remove the roof racks when they are not being used.

Great SUV
By DS

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle new in '01. Have had zero problems and I'm very happy with the performance of the 4.7 engine. Towing a 17 foot boot is a non-issue. The gas mileage is ok. The paint has put up with the everyday use and its kept outside 24/7. The rear end is a little loose in the snow while in 2wd. Other than that a real nice ride for this car. Plenty of go when needed.

Fold down 3rd row seats. Rear air. ABS. Stock color correct running boards which was an easy bolt on.

02 SLT
By sylvia

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The Durango is a truck and performs as such! I love mine, have had no major problems at 56,000 miles. It isn't perfect, but for the money it beats anything else!

Visability, highway handling, dependability

Reclining rear seats, larger 3rd seat

Great truck
By Warren Johnson

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

One paint flaw and a transmission electric doo- hickey have been the only problems. This is my fifth Dodge. I really am a Dodge guy and this is one of their best. I am not too fond of the new body style though and will probably get a truck next. The gas mileage smokes the Ford and Chevy SUVs and it doesn't look like a big box. I tow a hybrid trailer on camping trips and am close to the GCWR and am very pleased with my performance. Get 9-13 mpg depending on terrain.

Third row seats and hidden cubby in back

They've done it now with the 5-speed trans and improved the MPG a tad. 2'nd row seating needs to be adjustable