Used 2002 Dodge Durango R/T Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

2002 Durango R/T
By ronniechoate34

2002 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our Durango with 126,000 miles on her. The transmission needed replacing, the heater hose and the upper and lower radiator hoses all needed replacement. The radiator and the thermostat were both shot. The front brakes, the power booster and master cylinder on the Durango needed replacement and so did a wheel hub. The brake hoses had been replaced by the previous owner in the two years prior to my purchasing the vehicle. There are still problems with the heater as the rear of the truck only blows cool air from the vents. Not too great in the winter time. There were other minor problems with the truck, but after sinking a small fortune into it I'm hoping it will hold up for years.

Time to Trade
By Mr. John Lennon

2002 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I like the sport car type driving this Rango has, I removed the Du on the back. I have not had the problems that everyone has noted. 73k I do all the maintenance. Because of the 5.9 slug blogs I used a produce called Auto RX. I just removed the valve cover today 10/21/10 very clean. But because of the comments on transmission problems I am thinking of something else and not a Dodge. Murphy might be just around the corner because of this post. I might chop it up and call it ART, or have a fund raiser shoot out. All in the name of Government Bailout. Now you got me going.

Love it when you can STOMP on the GAS and your all wheel drive will keep those fat tires hold the pavement without braking. It's like a FAT sports car!

Fix the problems that people post. It can't be all false.

Best SUV ever owned!
By Trex20165

2002 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a fantastic vehicle. I have owned it since new and now have 105,000 miles on it. The 5.9L engine has been bulletproof and the A/C is still ice cold. The R/T has limited slip differentials and the best traction of any 4-wheel drive I have owned. The exhaust system sounds great and the truck still drives like new. Original Goodyear Wrangler tires lasted 80,000 miles! My only complaint is the fuel economy which is about 12 around town.

Heated Leather seats, Exhaust system sound

Get the warranty
By Groot

2002 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

I had my Durango for 5 years, in fact I got it right before gas prices went nuts! After about a month filling the tank wasn't fun anymore, but I still loved driving it. I loved this car and put it through its paces during the time I had it. Great handling, lots of power, and really nice and comfortable interior. I loved having this car.

Comfort of the seats, exterior, multiple climate zones, great handling, great power. I could seat a lot of people which proved useful many times.

Get the extended warranty, when they go, they go fast and expensive. 3 repair jobs ran me around $2500 (had to replace the entire steering column for a solenoid-poorly designed). It's a great vehicle, but it isn't cheap once it starts having problem.

Great short term car
By Groot

2002 Dodge Durango R/T 4WD 4dr SUV (5.9L 8cyl 4A)

First car I ever owned and I will never own another Dodge again. As I approached 100K several things started breaking (mechanical AC pump, transmission governor and governor solenoid, and now the brake interlock solenoid). The AC pump and interlock solenoid I can understand, but the powertrain warranty failed to cover an essential part of the transmission? Also the interlock solenoid can only be fixed by replacing the entire steering column as the part is NOT offered separately. Once they start to go they just go. Poorly designed and what good is a warranty that really covers next to nothing? Parts are too expensive and unreliable to make this a smart buy.

I loved the 6-disk CD player, until it died and is no longer available. Has great pickup at highway speeds or stopped. Also has nice safety features, and the upgraded stereo is really good when working. I did like the versatility of the back section.

Reliability, Warranty, Design. All significant problems that make this a vehicle that becomes much more expensive than the $35+K I had already paid for it. And of course MPG was awful. I will NEVER buy another dodge.