2002 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
I LOVE it!
By pennylou99 on 01/21/14 17:47 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The gas mileage is horrible. But other than that. I love this truck. I have never had any major issues with it. Normal repairs. If you keep the maintenance up on this, your Dodge will run for a long time! I'm right at 140k miles and the engine is solid. I drive kinda crazy and needed something that could handle my lead foot. I'm like to be quick on take offs, so this truck has been perfect for me!

Great Ride, Mechanical Nightmare
By samwill89 on 06/16/13 16:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought a used 2002 Durango Sport at 95k miles. Was immaculate inside and out. The good: Fit my large 6'5 frame comfortably. Fit my 6'6 twin sons well too. Nice controls and easy ride on all terrains. The bad: Constant overheating. Replaced fan clutch and thermostat within a month of owning it. Still would overheat. After 10k miles of use, blown head gasket. I will NEVER buy another Dodge vehicle again. Sad, because I really liked the SUV. Not worth the mechanical problems that are SURE to happen.

Still going
By maro71 on 08/07/10 07:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my Durango even though it only 2WD. I have been the one and only owner. I used to live in Hawaii and really didn't see a need for 4wd until I moved to PA. Anyway My wife and I get a good tuneup on the regular. We've had a few bumps on the road but they have been few and far in between. Most of our issues has been the mechanics didn't know what the heck they were doing. In Hawaii for example our mechanic told us that spark plugs only need changing every 2 years or something. Month later the truck stalled. Come to find out the spark plugs had burned out along with the wires. Overall I've really love it. It's not too big or too small. Just right.

3rd SUV I've Owned, and the BEST
By K-D on 02/19/10 16:39 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the SXT in 2005 and am still driving it daily. Love the engine and the look that is distinct vs Explorer, Trailblazer, etc. Great cargo room and perfect for weekend trips. Tows the 18 foot bass boat and trailer with ease. I owned a 1989 Blazer and a 1996 Explorer, and this has been MUCH better than the Blazer ever was, and even better than the Explorer (which was also very very good). In 4.5 years, I've just had oil changes, brake pads, and tires. Not a single maintenance issue outside of those regular ones. Drinks a lot of fuel, but I knew that going into the deal. I highly recommend this vehicle and will likely buy another Durango (hope they didn't change it too much).

Good car, but expect major problems
By Mike Stone on 04/13/09 13:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a brand new 2002 Dodge Durango SXT. I loved the car, I owned it for close to 8 years and just recently sold it. I pampered that car, kept the car well maintained but I still had major mechanical issues fairly early. At 66K miles the transmission went out. The Primary Control Module died a year later. The fan clutch went out 3 different times, had to replace the radiator, upper and lower radiator hose and at 180K the torque converter went out, which means the transmission was soon on its way out. I definitely did not want to waist more money into repairs so I let it go. I probably will not ever own another Chrsyler made vehicle for the rest of my life. The quality just stinks.

Great
By neile on 12/24/04 12:17 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had this 02 Durango since Mar 03, and have put an average of 40000 miles a year on it. I currently have 100000 miles on it. I had one electrical problem with it, no other. It tows great, I am comfortable, but it is a little tight for my big frame. Overall, I love it. I get 17 mpg on avg, but only 9 when towing, which it does a great job of. I put a heavier duty susspension on the rear, which now it rides quite rough (rear hop), but it wasn't bad before I made the change

dango 2002
By wctwig on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have no complaints with this vehicle. It's performed as I hoped it would.

Awesome
By dex on 10/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This car has great power. It is fun to drive and looks real sharp. Very affordable.

doge are lemons
By tigger123 on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a 2001 dodge durango and it has been nothing but trouble. It has spent more time in the shop then on the road.It had had trasmission problems, power stering problems,engine problems,power windows problems, ext. I would cleary recomend a FORD SUV to anybody!!!!!