2001 Dodge Durango 4.7L V8 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Best SUV Ever Made?

2001 Dodge Durango - Consumer Review

Sport 4dr SUV (4.7L V8 4-speed Automatic)

Best SUV Ever Made?
By Bryan on

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

4.7L SLT+ with Tow package, posi 3.92 gears. Mine was a leased vehicle with 23K on it and 1 yr old. Now has over 230,000 miles and has turned out to be one of the best vehicles I have ever owned and I believe one of the best ever made in respect to what it was designed for. A great family vehicle that is very comfortable on long trips and can still tow heavy loads. I've towed 7000. Mid size makes it easy to park along with very sharp turning radius. Handles great. The 4.7L powertrain has proven to be very reliable. I have not had any engine accessory problems or transmission problems at 230K! I had one sensor that had to be replaced that cost $25 and a radiator fan. 3rd row seat folds flat.

Favorite Features

Power and reliability of 4.7L and 45RFE transmission! Easy to drive, tight turning radius. Interior design, controls well laid out, the radio controls on back of steering wheel with the cruise controls on front make it very easy to control radio without having to look. Seat heaters nice when cold.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any in the design dept. Better headlights and better brake pads. I solved both with aftermarket parts. If you opt for 3rd row you loose some rear seat legroom. Wish they had a R/T version with 2WD. No need for 4wd in the south, especially when I have the posi rear end to tow.