From SHO to Durango
By N8ECH on
2001 Dodge Durango Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)
Purchased my '01 Dark Garnet SLT+ in August of '03 w/25k. I find that the 4.7 motor has plenty of power as well as "good musclecar sound" for the hot rodder in me. You get a good view of the road due to sitting up higher, but the A pillars are wide and provide a blind spot to be watched. Only two items I would change if I could are get the 4 wheel ABS (the 2wABS is useless). I would also get the full time 4wd xfer case. Mileage is about the same either way, and since you paid for 4x4 why not be able to use it all the time. Only service issues as of 56k are leaking steering rack, aux coolant pump ,and upper ball joints under recall. Mileage is 9-12 in town, and 16-18 hwy.
Favorite Features
Wanted the 4.7 motor b/c it is newer technology with a single cam on each head as opposed to cam in block. Fords 4.6 has done this since 1991 with great success. Also, ignition is coil on plug so no more spark plug wires to replace.
Suggested Improvements
Better visibility all around (which is worse to the rear in '04 and up models) Also, better mpg but I am not sure what can be done for a 4800 lb 4x4 with aerodynamics of a brick. Make 4wABS standard and offer it as a delete option. Room in third row seat is for kids only!