Used 2001 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Goodbye Dodge
By Mariah W

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I grew up riding in Dodge vehicles and they were always great. It's clear now that Dodge is more concerned with the bottom line than with producing a safe, dependable vehicle. Every Dodge vehicle that my family has owned in this millennium has had chronic problems and ultimately died because of cheap, shoddy workmanship. I've owned 3 and this is absolutely my last one. A shame, too, because I'd love a Charger but I don't trust these cars as far as I can throw them. I bought mine used with ~148K miles. The engine only had ~40. That tells you something right there, but I figured hey, new engine. A/C never worked, no matter how much money I poured into it (about a grand this year alone). No big deal though. I just live in north Texas. (Note: Sarcasm. It's 106 today w/ 67% humidity). The brakes are HORRIBLE! You'd better hope you never really need to slam on your brakes because you WILL find yourself in the trunk of the car ahead of you. ABS kicks in WAY earlier than is necessary. I don't ride my brakes and I don't brake hard, but the ABS would constantly kick in. I constantly took mine in to have the brakes checked, convinced that something was horribly wrong because there's no way they could be that bad and be "normal." They tested fine every single time. Not near enough power for how much gas they guzzle. If you want me to pay $80 every time to fill you up, you'd better get up and go when I ask you to. Chronic overheating problems that cost me over 3K. Replaced the radiator twice, water pump twice, fans, all of it. Ultimately, after meticulous maintenance and thousands of dollars, mine wound up with a cracked engine block and brown gaskets, destroyed engine despite being well maintained and full of fluids, and towed back from whence it came with a "sayonara" and a finger from me. Never another Dodge. Never, ever again.

149000 miles and going strong
By rogerv2

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

this 2001 durango is our 2nd durango 1st on was a 98 w/5.2 we put 236000 miles w normal wear items,our 2001 just turned up 149000 I had to replace the radiator , and water pump just normal wear items ,we average 17mpg and have gotten as high as 20.5mpg and Ive pulled a 4500 lb trailer did great .I love my durango and expect another 80000 miles out of it.

3 rd row seating and driving it very solid

I miss the 5.2 one of Dodges greatest engines

What a great experience
By steve409

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I liked these things the first time I saw one, and have enjoyed my 2001 Durango as it comes up on its 11th birthday at around 125000 miles. 4.7 V8, almost no problems at all to speak of for 10 years, then 11th year I have replaced Throttle Sensor (vehicle quit on the freeway) and a few o2 sensors and one power window. Other than that no issues for a decade, and a fantastic vehicle for my wife and two daughters. Still driving it and plan to get at least two more years out of it.

Good seat designs for the size of the vehicle, good experience with the balance of handling, ride, power, and features. Very sturdy - a bit firm on the ride but I knew that buying it, and don't mind. Gas hog at 15mpg, but I knew that also buying and did not care - wanted the power when I needed it for yearly camping trips into Montana. Loved the design of the cargo space. Worth noting the best "on steering wheel volume and radio controls ever designed" - still used 10 years later by Dodge!

Dodge softened the ride, so that was handled. Also increased 2nd row seat space for larger adults (we did not care as we bought for smaller kids).

Great value
By vtsnowman

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I paid $7200 for my '01 Durango 3 years ago with about 80K miles; it now has 146K and is getting me through another Vermont winter like a CHAMP. Sure, the mileage is atrocious -- I average 12.6 -- and it isn't the smoothest ride around, but the V8 has serious punch (still!) and with the 3rd row seat I can haul a mess of kids around. I've had to have some repairs -- the worst being $900 to get the heat working down on my feet (kind of essential up here) -- but this thing owes me nothing.

Power, performance in snow, reliability.

The interior is slowly falling apart -- volume control on the steering wheel fell out, tilt-wheel lever fell off, driver's side door armrest is loose. I drive on some pretty rough (dirt) roads, though, so it's not a huge surprise.

Our 2001 Durango
By waynesprt

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We have had to replace window power module after my wife hit a deer a year before and was repaired with used parts.It has been good to us . my wife loves it. it was corporate owned new and serviced regularly and now too.

4 wheel drive as here in Ohio roads are slick several months per year.

better gas mileage