Used 2001 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

5 yr love affair with Durango
By Wayne

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This was our second Durango. We enjoy fishing and in 96, finally bought a boat. Did a lot of research on SUV tow packages. It paid off. The 5.9 w/tow package is great. You have to remind yourself that a boat is in back of you! We're able to stay cool and tow without a worry. Looked forward to lousy back roads at remote fish camps. The 4WD is there when YOU WANT IT. Plus "the little things". Rear accessory plug. Use it for tailgate party or light up a boat ramp at night. Cup holders for American size drinks! Great tunes. Cool rims. Runs on reg gas. Seat warmers. Just the right size to give it a quick wash yourself. Just plain comfortable.

Factory tow package. Front/rear heat & air controls. On demand 4 wheel drive. Controls on BOTH front seats.

Slightly wider wheel base. Interior display for tire pressures. Hands free telephone package.

Reliable Durango without hemi
By M1a1commander

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this Durango the week before 9-11-01. I put 24,000 miles the first 2 years. The vehicle did not have any issues the first 3 years. I did get 17-19 MPG on the highway. The cloth interior is better and longer lasting than the leather. The price of the Durango Sport was the best deal compared to the Ford Explorer Sport. I paid $21,000 for it new. Now, in Dec, 2005 The only issue I had was replacing the front wheel bearings. The clunking I heard was not the ball-joint issue I had received as a possible recall item. The Durango continues to have great overall reliability. I like the style better than the fatter Durango. Why get a hemi if it weighs 500 lbs more?

Great styling, roomy, lots of cargo area. Decent Standard Stereo. Great heater. I liked that the rear windows are all tinted and that heated rear glass with wiper are standard. This is the cheapest SUV with full features. All SUV are $5000 overpriced. SUV makers make a killing on overpriced SUVs

I am happy with the price I paid for it. The improvements such as a CD player standard can be compensated by using an MP3 player with a cassette adapter is much cheaper than installing a CD changer in the back. Painting the rear brake drums. rust made the rear wheel become rusted to the brake drum

Love the way it handles
By E Stewart

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Great overall vehicle. Not too wild about the looks but it drives like a champ. Handles easy, very fun to drive, with plenty of room for everyone. Has been an extremely reliable vehicle but I hear unexplained noises from time to time. I would highly recommend vehicle.

Superb Handling

40k and falling apart
By Killianinc

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

40,000 miles and lets see... The cruise control cuts off and on, the left side window has stuck closed a time or two, the rear wiper is inoperable, and the horn blows and lights flash when driving below 8 mph. I love going to Wal Mart in this one. I get lots of attention and gestures. Gotta trade it soon. I do like the looks and the performance. Gas mileage is terrible, but most SUV's are.

Room and towing capacity

Buy Nissan or Toyota

2001 Dodge Durango
By Mark

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I've had nothing but good luck with my Durango. I get darn good mileage considing the size of the vehicle. Around 20 mpg average with the 4.7L V8. It's been extremely reliable as I have not had a problem in the 4 years and over 85,000 miles I have owned it. The only draw back is it likes to eat tires. I'm going through a set about every 25,.000 miles.

3rd row seat, performance, mileage.

Better tire durability.