Used 2001 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2001 Dodge Durango

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

4.7 durnago
By nickdangelo

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I love the '01 Durango. I have a 4.7l and it is very powerful. I'm a speed junkie and the 4.7l does it well especially in an SUV.

Engine performance, aggressive look

Posi trac differential would be nice, and better gas mileage

Worst Ever
By Bob

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Have spent more on repairs for this vehicle than all others owned, combined, over past 40 years. Drives fine, but electric problems, several hard to diagnose computer sensors blown out, water pumps, fuel pump (in gas tank), etc.

Looks good and functional around town.

Build it better. There is no reason to have a different problem every couple months.

From SHO to Durango
By N8ECH

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased my '01 Dark Garnet SLT+ in August of '03 w/25k. I find that the 4.7 motor has plenty of power as well as "good musclecar sound" for the hot rodder in me. You get a good view of the road due to sitting up higher, but the A pillars are wide and provide a blind spot to be watched. Only two items I would change if I could are get the 4 wheel ABS (the 2wABS is useless). I would also get the full time 4wd xfer case. Mileage is about the same either way, and since you paid for 4x4 why not be able to use it all the time. Only service issues as of 56k are leaking steering rack, aux coolant pump ,and upper ball joints under recall. Mileage is 9-12 in town, and 16-18 hwy.

Wanted the 4.7 motor b/c it is newer technology with a single cam on each head as opposed to cam in block. Fords 4.6 has done this since 1991 with great success. Also, ignition is coil on plug so no more spark plug wires to replace.

Better visibility all around (which is worse to the rear in '04 and up models) Also, better mpg but I am not sure what can be done for a 4800 lb 4x4 with aerodynamics of a brick. Make 4wABS standard and offer it as a delete option. Room in third row seat is for kids only!

'01 Durango
By Tara

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I own a 2001 Dodge Durango and it is the best vehicle that I have ever owned to date. I had previously owned Ford 150s. With the birth of my son, we needed a larger vehicle. The Durango is execlent in both reliability and in comfort. More than enough room for a family of 4. I would recomend this vehicle for purchase to anyone with a family

Large comfortable interior. Stereo system. Great heated seats a bonus in cold climate. Very good on gas

Very Reliable
By amby

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my Durango since August 2001 and have had nothing but good luck with it. I use it for running around town and long trips. I have had 5 adults with 2 sets of golf clubs and all the luggage for a two week holiday in the vehicle, and there is still room to spare. It runs well and has not caused me any major repairs.

My favorite feature is the design of the vehicle. It looks good and looks like an SUV should look

None that I can think of. It is well made.