2001 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Get outta Dodge
By tommythecat86 on 11/03/08 14:47 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I recently purchased a 2001 Dodge Durango. Engine blew due to some "mysterious oil loss". Dealership claims it's our fault (of course they would...it's still under warranty). The crappy engine is just part of the laundry of of problems. Electric windows that don't work (Hope I don't crash into a body of water). Multiple comfort options in the seats...don't work(anybody who drives has to be my height, no more no less). Brakes are junk. On the brighter side, it looks pretty and is very spacious...Yipeee!

dodge durango review
By dunk on 10/23/08 11:05 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new in 2001. Other than replacing the AC I have only had it in the shop for maintenance (brakes, tires, oil changes etc.) I have taken it on long trips multiple times and have used it to travel back and forth to work. Never had a break down. Lots of storage for long trips and plenty of room for 6 large guys for those trips to the ball game. I have also drove it on the beach every summer since I've had it. Great off road vehicle. Hope to have this truck for many years to come.

2001 Durango 4x4 SLT+
By 2001 Durango on 08/14/08 14:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle has been a great family car, plenty of power, comfortable, and very fun to drive. My work car was a Durango which convinced us to buy one for the family. Have taken it on long trips and to the snow where the 4x4 came in handy. Have routinely serviced which I'm sure is why we have never had a break down or any serious mechanical problems.

Dodge is junk and service is a SCAM!
By jbarmywife on 05/08/08 12:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The electrical system, brakes and engine are junk. This is my third Dodge and I have had problems with all of them. My 2005 Dodge Ram kept breaking down and every time we'd take it in they'd charge us $100 and say there's nothing wrong with it. Same with my Durango, even with the check engine light on they say there's nothing wrong yet my car just stopped on he road. It's still not fixed and I can't sell it the way it is. Now my husband has a 99 pickup and you can clearly tell the cylinders are missing. It jerks you back every time you drive it and he took it in today. They charge him another $100 for nothing. It shows up on my friends diagnostics machine. SCAM!

Great SUV
By Nina on 05/03/08 09:37 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This Durango has gone 134,000 miles with very little repair (mostly wear and tear). Like most Dodge cars the interior is quality material and has lasted beautifully through two kids growing up. Unlike Fords and Chevys, it is comfortable to get in and out of and easy on the back going long distances. The 4WD is great and has gotten me out of some tough construction sites. I enjoy driving this vehicle as much as my husband. Just wish they put the extra handles on the newer models and it had better gas mileage (but that is what happens when you buy a V8)

Great family vehicle that a Man can driv
By bigticket42 on 11/15/07 12:32 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Durango. My wife and I have always liked the styling of the Durangos especially over the newer ones. I have had a chance to drive it on a long trip. I averaged 16 mpg at 80 and 17 mpg at 75 mph. I thought this was good considering I have the 5.9L V8. This is fun to drive especially since there is absolutely no need for an engine that size in this SUV. The power is excessive and what make it fun. I try to take it easy because in town it gets 12 mpg. Again not bad for an engine that size. The 3 rows of seats are perfect for a family. That is the reason i bought this as we have 3 children that need to be seperated. With the 3rd row there is still good room behind the last row for stuf

2nd one and still like them
By Durango Family on 10/28/07 20:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is our seond Durango as our first was a 2000 with 120,000 miles on it before it protected our twin 2 yr olds, mother in law, and wife when a rav4 stopped dead in front of us. The rav 4 did not do as well. We have had none of the problems typically heard of and it has been very reliable. 4.7L MPG is not what it should be but 18MPG. 3rd seat, leather and rear air are really cool for this size truck. Can not beat it in snow!!

Useful SUV with a few shortcomings
By tf77 on 07/18/07 22:24 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We've had this car for almost 3 years. It has been very reliable and functional. We cross-shopped it against full-size GM's, and have been reasonably happy with our choice, although we've regretted it at times as well. Not as smooth as a Tahoe, and not nearly as roomy (the Durango is very narrow for an SUV), but much cheaper and has all the capability of a full-size (can tow as much and haul as many people). While we haven't loved it, and at times have wished we spent extra on a full-size GM, our Durango has served its purpose very well.

Durango
By Jay on 07/01/07 14:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle has performed outstanding service as a daily driver to/from work, a family hauler for me, wife and four children, and long distance road cruiser. We take use the Durango on three to five road trips per year of 500-900 miles one way. When pulling a 12 foot U-Haul trailer full of luggage, bikes, water sports gear over the Appalachians to Virginia the 5.9L V8 barely notices the load. The car is comfortable on highway even when loaded with 6 people. The safety and confidence associated with the full time 4WD with its full time four wheel torque split has proven itself in midwest thunder downpours, Appalachain rain/fog/sleet, and Wisconsin snow.

Solid ride for the money
By s-works on 06/12/07 03:43 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this Durango with just under 100K on the clock. Had the tranny serviced when I did, and she's run fairly well since for a $10K car. I've had problems with the weak AC (tried everything, nothing seems to work), and poor cooling (had overheated twice, both times on hot summer days, on the highway). 4X4 is amazing, with low setting in the transfer case, able to extract itself from frame-rail deep mud. Mileage OK, 15 while commuting to work, 18 on the highway. Interior perfect for growing family and dogs. Seats 7, but can be parallel parked by anyone. Ride is somewhat trucklike, but expected from a body-on-frame design like this. A best fit for comfort, convenience + capability.