2001 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
149000 miles and going strong
By rogerv2 on 03/21/12 11:08 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

this 2001 durango is our 2nd durango 1st on was a 98 w/5.2 we put 236000 miles w normal wear items,our 2001 just turned up 149000 I had to replace the radiator , and water pump just normal wear items ,we average 17mpg and have gotten as high as 20.5mpg and Ive pulled a 4500 lb trailer did great .I love my durango and expect another 80000 miles out of it.

What a great experience
By steve409 on 01/10/12 19:00 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I liked these things the first time I saw one, and have enjoyed my 2001 Durango as it comes up on its 11th birthday at around 125000 miles. 4.7 V8, almost no problems at all to speak of for 10 years, then 11th year I have replaced Throttle Sensor (vehicle quit on the freeway) and a few o2 sensors and one power window. Other than that no issues for a decade, and a fantastic vehicle for my wife and two daughters. Still driving it and plan to get at least two more years out of it.

Great value
By vtsnowman on 01/22/11 16:44 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I paid $7200 for my '01 Durango 3 years ago with about 80K miles; it now has 146K and is getting me through another Vermont winter like a CHAMP. Sure, the mileage is atrocious -- I average 12.6 -- and it isn't the smoothest ride around, but the V8 has serious punch (still!) and with the 3rd row seat I can haul a mess of kids around. I've had to have some repairs -- the worst being $900 to get the heat working down on my feet (kind of essential up here) -- but this thing owes me nothing.

Our 2001 Durango
By waynesprt on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We have had to replace window power module after my wife hit a deer a year before and was repaired with used parts.It has been good to us . my wife loves it. it was corporate owned new and serviced regularly and now too.

Overall good truck
By burban56560 on 08/10/10 00:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Overall after only owning the truck for 5 months it has been a good vehicle. At 117,000 miles the bearings in the drive shaft literally shot right through the drive shaft cause still unknown. Handles great on the road and off the road. Smooth quiet interstate drive. Overall design is great. Quality is okay but not amazing, after all said and done wish I would have kept my old suburban.

Loved my Durango!
By CAR CRAZY on 03/23/10 17:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I had the 01 Dodge Durango R/T 5.9L V8 and LOVED it! It was so fun to drive, it was safe, and extremely comfortable & spacious. The only downfall to the big motor is the gas mileage is horrible, which is the only reason I sold mine. I had to get something with better gas mileage when we moved further from my job. Fun and reliable but be prepared to pay more for gas

Great Vehicle
By Baseball Mom on 01/31/10 17:50 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my Durango Sport for 5 years and it now has 188,000 miles on it. This has been a great vehicle. I am just now beginning to have some issues with the truck. Nothing real major, just regular wear and tear on one that has this many miles on it.

Best SUV Ever Made?
By Bryan on 01/05/10 07:08 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

4.7L SLT+ with Tow package, posi 3.92 gears. Mine was a leased vehicle with 23K on it and 1 yr old. Now has over 230,000 miles and has turned out to be one of the best vehicles I have ever owned and I believe one of the best ever made in respect to what it was designed for. A great family vehicle that is very comfortable on long trips and can still tow heavy loads. I've towed 7000. Mid size makes it easy to park along with very sharp turning radius. Handles great. The 4.7L powertrain has proven to be very reliable. I have not had any engine accessory problems or transmission problems at 230K! I had one sensor that had to be replaced that cost $25 and a radiator fan. 3rd row seat folds flat.

Running Strong
By EcW on 04/15/09 16:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Durango over 4 years ago with 40,000 miles on it and now I have 120,000 miles on it. Even with all of that driving it is still running strong. I have had absolutely nothing wrong with the engine during that time. I live on a farm and have driven this vehicle through some harsh conditions and it has never failed me. It has been by far the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. My only gripe is the ABS. When they engage they don't feel that great but actually work fairly well. The Durango looks big but handles like a smaller vehicle. Can be parallel parked into fairly tight spaces. This is a very versatile vehicle!

No room to complain
By Killian Tools on 01/29/09 19:27 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought mine over 5 years ago and I've had little to no complaints. I've had a body control module replaced and that's it! It's very fun to drive, lots of room, and it's not the best on gas but what SUV is? I'm keeping this one for a while longer but will consider another one after this one.