Used 2001 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

149000 miles and going strong
By rogerv2

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

this 2001 durango is our 2nd durango 1st on was a 98 w/5.2 we put 236000 miles w normal wear items,our 2001 just turned up 149000 I had to replace the radiator , and water pump just normal wear items ,we average 17mpg and have gotten as high as 20.5mpg and Ive pulled a 4500 lb trailer did great .I love my durango and expect another 80000 miles out of it.

3 rd row seating and driving it very solid

I miss the 5.2 one of Dodges greatest engines

What a great experience
By steve409

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I liked these things the first time I saw one, and have enjoyed my 2001 Durango as it comes up on its 11th birthday at around 125000 miles. 4.7 V8, almost no problems at all to speak of for 10 years, then 11th year I have replaced Throttle Sensor (vehicle quit on the freeway) and a few o2 sensors and one power window. Other than that no issues for a decade, and a fantastic vehicle for my wife and two daughters. Still driving it and plan to get at least two more years out of it.

Good seat designs for the size of the vehicle, good experience with the balance of handling, ride, power, and features. Very sturdy - a bit firm on the ride but I knew that buying it, and don't mind. Gas hog at 15mpg, but I knew that also buying and did not care - wanted the power when I needed it for yearly camping trips into Montana. Loved the design of the cargo space. Worth noting the best "on steering wheel volume and radio controls ever designed" - still used 10 years later by Dodge!

Dodge softened the ride, so that was handled. Also increased 2nd row seat space for larger adults (we did not care as we bought for smaller kids).

Great value
By vtsnowman

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I paid $7200 for my '01 Durango 3 years ago with about 80K miles; it now has 146K and is getting me through another Vermont winter like a CHAMP. Sure, the mileage is atrocious -- I average 12.6 -- and it isn't the smoothest ride around, but the V8 has serious punch (still!) and with the 3rd row seat I can haul a mess of kids around. I've had to have some repairs -- the worst being $900 to get the heat working down on my feet (kind of essential up here) -- but this thing owes me nothing.

Power, performance in snow, reliability.

The interior is slowly falling apart -- volume control on the steering wheel fell out, tilt-wheel lever fell off, driver's side door armrest is loose. I drive on some pretty rough (dirt) roads, though, so it's not a huge surprise.

Our 2001 Durango
By waynesprt

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We have had to replace window power module after my wife hit a deer a year before and was repaired with used parts.It has been good to us . my wife loves it. it was corporate owned new and serviced regularly and now too.

4 wheel drive as here in Ohio roads are slick several months per year.

better gas mileage

Overall good truck
By burban56560

2001 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Overall after only owning the truck for 5 months it has been a good vehicle. At 117,000 miles the bearings in the drive shaft literally shot right through the drive shaft cause still unknown. Handles great on the road and off the road. Smooth quiet interstate drive. Overall design is great. Quality is okay but not amazing, after all said and done wish I would have kept my old suburban.

many available accessories to customize, handles great.

better build quality, better parts.