2001 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
What a great experience
By steve409 on 01/10/12 19:00 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I liked these things the first time I saw one, and have enjoyed my 2001 Durango as it comes up on its 11th birthday at around 125000 miles. 4.7 V8, almost no problems at all to speak of for 10 years, then 11th year I have replaced Throttle Sensor (vehicle quit on the freeway) and a few o2 sensors and one power window. Other than that no issues for a decade, and a fantastic vehicle for my wife and two daughters. Still driving it and plan to get at least two more years out of it.

Great Vehicle
By Baseball Mom on 01/31/10 17:50 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my Durango Sport for 5 years and it now has 188,000 miles on it. This has been a great vehicle. I am just now beginning to have some issues with the truck. Nothing real major, just regular wear and tear on one that has this many miles on it.

Best SUV Ever Made?
By Bryan on 01/05/10 07:08 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

4.7L SLT+ with Tow package, posi 3.92 gears. Mine was a leased vehicle with 23K on it and 1 yr old. Now has over 230,000 miles and has turned out to be one of the best vehicles I have ever owned and I believe one of the best ever made in respect to what it was designed for. A great family vehicle that is very comfortable on long trips and can still tow heavy loads. I've towed 7000. Mid size makes it easy to park along with very sharp turning radius. Handles great. The 4.7L powertrain has proven to be very reliable. I have not had any engine accessory problems or transmission problems at 230K! I had one sensor that had to be replaced that cost $25 and a radiator fan. 3rd row seat folds flat.

No room to complain
By Killian Tools on 01/29/09 19:27 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought mine over 5 years ago and I've had little to no complaints. I've had a body control module replaced and that's it! It's very fun to drive, lots of room, and it's not the best on gas but what SUV is? I'm keeping this one for a while longer but will consider another one after this one.

Dodge is junk and service is a SCAM!
By jbarmywife on 05/08/08 12:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The electrical system, brakes and engine are junk. This is my third Dodge and I have had problems with all of them. My 2005 Dodge Ram kept breaking down and every time we'd take it in they'd charge us $100 and say there's nothing wrong with it. Same with my Durango, even with the check engine light on they say there's nothing wrong yet my car just stopped on he road. It's still not fixed and I can't sell it the way it is. Now my husband has a 99 pickup and you can clearly tell the cylinders are missing. It jerks you back every time you drive it and he took it in today. They charge him another $100 for nothing. It shows up on my friends diagnostics machine. SCAM!

Looks good but...
By Foochey on 06/04/07 15:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Engine is strong. That's the end of the good news. Brakes are horrible, expect warped rotors Aand drums every 15,000m. Add to that the fact that these brakes are under-designed and will not stop this vehicle safely and should be recalled. The BCM module is a joke and must be replaced by dealership whenever your lights/wipers/etc go haywire (and they will). You'll get raped for this stupid charge that is designed into Dodge's grand service scheme. Then there's the upper balljoint issues. Dodge will be out of business if they keep producing junk like this. Never another Dodge/Chrylser product for me...ever.

Powerful, reliable and versatile
By dodge driver on 05/06/07 15:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I am the first owner of an 2001 Dodge Durango, which I drove off the lot with about 7-8 miles on it. This is an extremely powerful, comfy to drive, versatile and reliable car. Biggest repair was new computer, which I got aftermarket with lifetime warranty for about $350. Only other repair was the idle control valve. Would buy one again, but delayed, because the new version is ugly, chunky and way too big. So I decided to drive it until it doesn't drive anymore, junk it and find another car as good. Friends sold theirs with 250k miles on it! Amazing.

4.7 durnago
By nickdangelo on 03/28/07 19:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I love the '01 Durango. I have a 4.7l and it is very powerful. I'm a speed junkie and the 4.7l does it well especially in an SUV.

Worst Ever
By Bob on 02/10/07 17:37 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Have spent more on repairs for this vehicle than all others owned, combined, over past 40 years. Drives fine, but electric problems, several hard to diagnose computer sensors blown out, water pumps, fuel pump (in gas tank), etc.

Reliable Durango without hemi
By M1a1commander on 12/13/05 10:49 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this Durango the week before 9-11-01. I put 24,000 miles the first 2 years. The vehicle did not have any issues the first 3 years. I did get 17-19 MPG on the highway. The cloth interior is better and longer lasting than the leather. The price of the Durango Sport was the best deal compared to the Ford Explorer Sport. I paid $21,000 for it new. Now, in Dec, 2005 The only issue I had was replacing the front wheel bearings. The clunking I heard was not the ball-joint issue I had received as a possible recall item. The Durango continues to have great overall reliability. I like the style better than the fatter Durango. Why get a hemi if it weighs 500 lbs more?