Used 2001 Dodge Durango Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2001 Dodge Durango

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

What a great experience
By steve409

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I liked these things the first time I saw one, and have enjoyed my 2001 Durango as it comes up on its 11th birthday at around 125000 miles. 4.7 V8, almost no problems at all to speak of for 10 years, then 11th year I have replaced Throttle Sensor (vehicle quit on the freeway) and a few o2 sensors and one power window. Other than that no issues for a decade, and a fantastic vehicle for my wife and two daughters. Still driving it and plan to get at least two more years out of it.

Favorite Features

Good seat designs for the size of the vehicle, good experience with the balance of handling, ride, power, and features. Very sturdy - a bit firm on the ride but I knew that buying it, and don't mind. Gas hog at 15mpg, but I knew that also buying and did not care - wanted the power when I needed it for yearly camping trips into Montana. Loved the design of the cargo space. Worth noting the best "on steering wheel volume and radio controls ever designed" - still used 10 years later by Dodge!

Suggested Improvements

Dodge softened the ride, so that was handled. Also increased 2nd row seat space for larger adults (we did not care as we bought for smaller kids).

Great Vehicle
By Baseball Mom

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my Durango Sport for 5 years and it now has 188,000 miles on it. This has been a great vehicle. I am just now beginning to have some issues with the truck. Nothing real major, just regular wear and tear on one that has this many miles on it.

Favorite Features

Room

Best SUV Ever Made?
By Bryan

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

4.7L SLT+ with Tow package, posi 3.92 gears. Mine was a leased vehicle with 23K on it and 1 yr old. Now has over 230,000 miles and has turned out to be one of the best vehicles I have ever owned and I believe one of the best ever made in respect to what it was designed for. A great family vehicle that is very comfortable on long trips and can still tow heavy loads. I've towed 7000. Mid size makes it easy to park along with very sharp turning radius. Handles great. The 4.7L powertrain has proven to be very reliable. I have not had any engine accessory problems or transmission problems at 230K! I had one sensor that had to be replaced that cost $25 and a radiator fan. 3rd row seat folds flat.

Favorite Features

Power and reliability of 4.7L and 45RFE transmission! Easy to drive, tight turning radius. Interior design, controls well laid out, the radio controls on back of steering wheel with the cruise controls on front make it very easy to control radio without having to look. Seat heaters nice when cold.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any in the design dept. Better headlights and better brake pads. I solved both with aftermarket parts. If you opt for 3rd row you loose some rear seat legroom. Wish they had a R/T version with 2WD. No need for 4wd in the south, especially when I have the posi rear end to tow.

No room to complain
By Killian Tools

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought mine over 5 years ago and I've had little to no complaints. I've had a body control module replaced and that's it! It's very fun to drive, lots of room, and it's not the best on gas but what SUV is? I'm keeping this one for a while longer but will consider another one after this one.

Favorite Features

Power on demand, aggressive looks. I've added a ram air hood and some after market Halo lights to really improve the looks.

Dodge is junk and service is a SCAM!
By jbarmywife

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The electrical system, brakes and engine are junk. This is my third Dodge and I have had problems with all of them. My 2005 Dodge Ram kept breaking down and every time we'd take it in they'd charge us $100 and say there's nothing wrong with it. Same with my Durango, even with the check engine light on they say there's nothing wrong yet my car just stopped on he road. It's still not fixed and I can't sell it the way it is. Now my husband has a 99 pickup and you can clearly tell the cylinders are missing. It jerks you back every time you drive it and he took it in today. They charge him another $100 for nothing. It shows up on my friends diagnostics machine. SCAM!

Suggested Improvements

TAKE ALL DODGES OF THE MARKET! These days people can't afford to keep getting scammed on piece of junk.