Used 2001 Dodge Durango Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Goodbye Dodge
By Mariah W

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I grew up riding in Dodge vehicles and they were always great. It's clear now that Dodge is more concerned with the bottom line than with producing a safe, dependable vehicle. Every Dodge vehicle that my family has owned in this millennium has had chronic problems and ultimately died because of cheap, shoddy workmanship. I've owned 3 and this is absolutely my last one. A shame, too, because I'd love a Charger but I don't trust these cars as far as I can throw them. I bought mine used with ~148K miles. The engine only had ~40. That tells you something right there, but I figured hey, new engine. A/C never worked, no matter how much money I poured into it (about a grand this year alone). No big deal though. I just live in north Texas. (Note: Sarcasm. It's 106 today w/ 67% humidity). The brakes are HORRIBLE! You'd better hope you never really need to slam on your brakes because you WILL find yourself in the trunk of the car ahead of you. ABS kicks in WAY earlier than is necessary. I don't ride my brakes and I don't brake hard, but the ABS would constantly kick in. I constantly took mine in to have the brakes checked, convinced that something was horribly wrong because there's no way they could be that bad and be "normal." They tested fine every single time. Not near enough power for how much gas they guzzle. If you want me to pay $80 every time to fill you up, you'd better get up and go when I ask you to. Chronic overheating problems that cost me over 3K. Replaced the radiator twice, water pump twice, fans, all of it. Ultimately, after meticulous maintenance and thousands of dollars, mine wound up with a cracked engine block and brown gaskets, destroyed engine despite being well maintained and full of fluids, and towed back from whence it came with a "sayonara" and a finger from me. Never another Dodge. Never, ever again.

What a great experience
By steve409

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I liked these things the first time I saw one, and have enjoyed my 2001 Durango as it comes up on its 11th birthday at around 125000 miles. 4.7 V8, almost no problems at all to speak of for 10 years, then 11th year I have replaced Throttle Sensor (vehicle quit on the freeway) and a few o2 sensors and one power window. Other than that no issues for a decade, and a fantastic vehicle for my wife and two daughters. Still driving it and plan to get at least two more years out of it.

Good seat designs for the size of the vehicle, good experience with the balance of handling, ride, power, and features. Very sturdy - a bit firm on the ride but I knew that buying it, and don't mind. Gas hog at 15mpg, but I knew that also buying and did not care - wanted the power when I needed it for yearly camping trips into Montana. Loved the design of the cargo space. Worth noting the best "on steering wheel volume and radio controls ever designed" - still used 10 years later by Dodge!

Dodge softened the ride, so that was handled. Also increased 2nd row seat space for larger adults (we did not care as we bought for smaller kids).

Great Vehicle
By Baseball Mom

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my Durango Sport for 5 years and it now has 188,000 miles on it. This has been a great vehicle. I am just now beginning to have some issues with the truck. Nothing real major, just regular wear and tear on one that has this many miles on it.

Room

Best SUV Ever Made?
By Bryan

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

4.7L SLT+ with Tow package, posi 3.92 gears. Mine was a leased vehicle with 23K on it and 1 yr old. Now has over 230,000 miles and has turned out to be one of the best vehicles I have ever owned and I believe one of the best ever made in respect to what it was designed for. A great family vehicle that is very comfortable on long trips and can still tow heavy loads. I've towed 7000. Mid size makes it easy to park along with very sharp turning radius. Handles great. The 4.7L powertrain has proven to be very reliable. I have not had any engine accessory problems or transmission problems at 230K! I had one sensor that had to be replaced that cost $25 and a radiator fan. 3rd row seat folds flat.

Power and reliability of 4.7L and 45RFE transmission! Easy to drive, tight turning radius. Interior design, controls well laid out, the radio controls on back of steering wheel with the cruise controls on front make it very easy to control radio without having to look. Seat heaters nice when cold.

Can't think of any in the design dept. Better headlights and better brake pads. I solved both with aftermarket parts. If you opt for 3rd row you loose some rear seat legroom. Wish they had a R/T version with 2WD. No need for 4wd in the south, especially when I have the posi rear end to tow.

No room to complain
By Killian Tools

2001 Dodge Durango Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought mine over 5 years ago and I've had little to no complaints. I've had a body control module replaced and that's it! It's very fun to drive, lots of room, and it's not the best on gas but what SUV is? I'm keeping this one for a while longer but will consider another one after this one.

Power on demand, aggressive looks. I've added a ram air hood and some after market Halo lights to really improve the looks.

• SUV