Great Truck-Poor MPG
By MARMOPAR on
2000 Dodge Durango R/T 4dr SUV 4WD
Bought this truck in 2006 with 60K. Currently at 84K. I have replaced the AC evaporator & compressor, PS pump, brake lines (rust), brake pads & rotors. I run synthetic oil (change at 3K) and trans fluid and have had none of the sludge problems that I read about. It has a full tow package and I pull a 20ft travel trailer. I love driving this truck - it does anything I need it to do and is easy to drive in traffic. I just wish the fuel mileage was better. I have gotten as high as 16 on the highway @ 55mph w/o the trailer (12 @ 70mph) but drops to 7 w/trailer. In town is 8-9. I would love to see if I could get the Hemi with cyl deactivation retrofitted to this truck.
Favorite Features
Styling, R/T package, excellent towing ability in a package smaller than the QE2, great handling and ride for a 4x4 full frame truck.
Suggested Improvements
Fuel mileage, AC designed for a pickup not an SUV (rear vent windows would help), poor AC evaporator design, poor fuel mileage, premium fuel requirement (I think this changed in later R/T's but should be taken seriously in the 2000), poor fuel mileage, and did I mention the fuel mileage?