Used 2000 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2000 Dodge Durango

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Good at everything, master of none!
By 2KR/T

2000 Dodge Durango R/T 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned this Durango for quite some time. It's given me no problems outside of regular maintenance. I tow occasionally and haul quite a bit of goods. Just passed 80,000miles and still going strong. I get 18.3mpg at 55mph and 16mpg at 65mph! Not bad for a beast that's rated at 12mpg city and 16mpg highway. Keep in mind the EPA, at the time, rated vehicles on the highway at 55mph! Only problem that is annoying is that in colder weather the mechanism inside the rear hatch that controls the lock rusts and sticks. I have to spray it with lube every few months. Takes about 20min, so its not too bad.

Favorite Features

360 V8 (strong, with low end torque), towing package, third row seating and full time 4x4 system! Excellent vehicle to own when the snow flies or you want to go play in the mud or on rock trails!

Suggested Improvements

Better engine breathing for better performance, more secure wheel well protectors, thicker skid plates, larger fuel tank and rear heat wasn't an option in the 2000 model!

A great SUV
By How-Buds

2000 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the truck with 15000 miles when she was exactly three years old! I have owned her for three years and eleven months. Truck has been awesome, only issue is the A/C unit is too small for the inside cab. The unit only holds 1.6 pounds of refrigerant. Other then that issue, I would buy again!

Favorite Features

88 cubic feet of space Audio controls on steering wheel Horse power and great torque Fun to four wheel Great when towing my ATVs The design in the doors for shutting almost by themselves. Privacy glass

Suggested Improvements

A larger capacity on the A/C unit.

Love this SUV
By Charger2

2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car for its space. I have 3 kids so it works great. gas mileage isn't to great but it does what I need it to do. Although for buying with 120,000 miles, I'd say it was perfect. I would definitely buy again, preferably newer next time.

Favorite Features

3 row seats, space

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage

2000 Durango
By MIKE

2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This auto has been used for business and family. It has always performed. Approximately 60% -75000 miles have been highway- there has never been a mechanical breakdown. The vehicle was always maintained. We bought a new durango last year- it floats like a majic carpet on the highway. I only wish gas mileage was better than 14mpg. If you are looking for value in a family suv, be sure to check out the Durango.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy

Disaster waiting to happen
By Sludge Monster

2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

I once read a Durango review that stated, "You never forget you're driving a truck" and that is a perfect description of this SUV's ride comfort. I wanted truck-like durability so I wasn't worried about the harshness of the ride; I liked the high clearance and true off-road capability of this vehicle. However, there is a huge oil-pressure issue with this engine. Dodge blames "sludge" and poor maintenance but even meticulously maintained Durangos meet the same fate. Our engine literally blew up just before 60,000 miles. Replaced the engine only to discover more issues requiring money. I loved driving this SUV but warn used car buyers to steer clear of this potential money pit.

Favorite Features

High clearance, wide-body stability, towing performance

Suggested Improvements

Needs better ride for long-distance driving, but most importantly the engine needs a complete overhaul to make it more reliable and not so susceptible to "sludge" that will kill it way way waaaay before its time.