2000 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Great car, but bad cooling system
By hudsonblog on 05/14/05 13:08 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Durango Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

My Durango has been a love-hate situation. I love the looks, love the power and the safety feel is great. The gas mileage is not good, but that's the price for a bigger car. I have had terrible luck with the cooling. This car has often gone past 210 degrees. Smells hot! The radiator had to be replaced due to leaks twice. The front cooling housing had to be replaced because a leak formed in the middle of the metal housing due to heat! Cylinder 7 began miss-firing and cause the left cylinder head to be replaced. Heat also cause an anoying squeak due to leaks in engine block seal. I've been so careful with this car and has gotten me nowhere. I do like the 04 Durango!

Great SUV
By Greg Shupe on 12/30/04 16:35 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4dr SUV 4WD

This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned.It has only been back to the dealer twice,once to clean the throttle body, second to replace the power steering pump. It has almost 80000 miles on it and averages over 18mpg on the road with the 4.7eng. I have a K&N air filter in it and use Mobil 1 5w-30 oil that I change every 10,000 miles. My wife loves the Durango. We have no intentions of selling it.

Much better than Chevy/Ford
By Brett on 12/05/04 13:25 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4dr SUV 4WD

Good experience thus far with this vehicle (80,000+ miles). Minor electrical system issues/door actuators/control-arm bushings replaced. Ongoing issue with catalytic converter, more of a poor dealership service issue than with the vehicle. I have the 4wd version, VERY poor gas milage, especially with aftermarket agressive tires. I highly recommend buying extended warranty, as with any American car, interior accessories are beginning to fail.

Good Family Car
By Missymoo on 07/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4dr SUV

We bought this car to tow a trailer on family vacations and drive kids around. It has been great for those purposes. The 3rd row seat is great for the kids, not so comfortable for adults. Love the rear air conditioning.

My 'Rango
By Heather L on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

We have been very happy with our Durango until just recently. With less than 70k miles, we have had numerous problems with the vehicle. We have been in to the shop FOUR times to get the brakes worked on, but still have problems with them. The ball joints are so worn they need to be replaced. (I have recently discovered that this is a common problem with Durangos & Dakotas). We need our inner tie rods replaced (and Dodge is on backorder for tie rods, we're looking to wait at least a couple of weeks). I love the vehicle, it's spacious and comfortable, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking to buy a vehicle. Just my opinion, though!

Mother's Day present?
By Cowgirl on 05/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love the sound (motorand speakers), color (chili pepper red pearl coat), handling, and design. But, we bought the vehicle used with 38,000 miles. Within the first week it was on a roll back headed for the dealership (freeze plugs failed). The brakes have always been "touchy" and no one can find a problem. Gas mileage is worse than my husband's 5.7L. Z71 and I've got the 5.2L. But, it's never stranded us anywhere.

A Van alternative
By Evergreen on 05/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4dr SUV 4WD

For hauling a batch of kids, going camping, skiing, and trips to Costco it's great. However, it'a a pig on gas (13.8 mpg over 80K miles) and not maintenance free. The exh manifold bolts have broken, the drive shaft U- joint replaced, door locks replaced 2 times a new power steering pump and 3 sets of brakes. It has also depreciated $20K over 4 years making this a great used value, at my expense! I won't buy another new one.

Love it
By Cristi on 04/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Durango Sport 4dr SUV

I just purchased my Durango and I LOVE IT. The interior doesn't squeek, and the wind noise is minute. I would repurchase this vehicle in an instant.

BALL JOINT FAILED. FRONT DRIVERS SIDE
By dee324 on 04/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Durango Sport 4dr SUV

INTERIOR SQUEEKS DECENT POWER 5.2L NEEDS AIR K&N FILTER IT.

Trucklike but has good amount of POWER!
By Guard01 on 04/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Durango Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle is my second vehicle so far and I have enjoyed it. Don't expect to save gas though. It has a good amount of power for a 4.7l. Only major problem I had was a bad intake spring that left my truck in the shop for a few days. But other than that, nothing else major has happened.