Used 2000 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

2000 Durango SLT 5.9
By stefan

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this truck for 2 years and it is great! The 5.9 has great performance and with several bolt on parts it performs even better. MPG not desireable but expected from a 5.9. Tows with ease! manual transfer case always reliable. Transmission is probably the weak link in this truck. Interior is very comfortable, leather adds to comfort. Very solid SUV!

Towing power, manual shift transfer case, ground clearance, interior space

Stiffer rear springs for towing

Not a Bad Truck
By Ronald

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall this has not been a bad family vehicle. We live in western central Michigan so the environment is diverse. The four wheel drive definitely was useful. The air conditioning for the summer did just fine. Maintenance was minimal. At 178,000 miles, I intend to buy only my third set of tires.

Great package with SLT. Music, Cruise control, power windows and locks, tinted rear windows, wheels and running boards. All presented a respectable appearance. Great choice of interior and exterior color schemes. Love the exterior design more than newer models and tool storage compartment in back

Paint life, rust came-on after 3 years. Suspension, hitting a Hwy bump caused rear end to feel like it went out from under you. More heat during the cold winter months for the children in the back. Max heat blew us out in front! We stuffed gloves in the front floor vents to force heat to the back.

gotta lotta problems
By shouldaknownbetta

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this vehicle second hand from a lot. The gas mileage, according to the upper display, is abysmal. We have had many problems with reliability. We have had the PCM, (primary control module) replaced. This was done under the factory drive train warranty. We continue to have intermittent "Check engine" lights, fluctuating tachometer readings of 1000 RPM, without actual RPM changes, and miserable gas mileage. Our local Dodge dealership is unable to determine the cause due to "no codes" being registered. While this may be a good SUV in the eyes of some, mine sucks. For the record, I bought mine in 2005 for $16,400.00, The following year, it wasn't worth $7,400.

It's a good looking outfit

Fix the PCM, Rebate buyers with problems.

Completely Satisfied
By gotmymoneysworth

2000 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4dr SUV 4WD

I Have owned since 2000 and have great success. The only issue has been the transmission. I had to rebuild at 125000 miles! Other than that tires, brakes and oil! Great hauling and towing. We bought it with the goal to drive for ten years and so far I am very pleased with its performance. I definitely recommend the truck!

Power, Hauling and towing and actually great mileage for the HP!

Start building the same body style with a bigger motor!

Closing In On 200,000 Miles
By Jallen

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Plus 4dr SUV 4WD

I am closing in on 200,000 miles and wanted to convey my satisfaction with this vehicle. Other than routine maintenance, the only significant repair expenditure was to replace 3 of the 4 power window motors. I average around 18 mpg and only notice diminished power when towing. It has been and is a great car.

The driver's seat is very comfortable compared to my 07 Aspen.

None. I am very happy with my ownership experience.