Used 2000 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Great car, but bad cooling system
By hudsonblog

2000 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

My Durango has been a love-hate situation. I love the looks, love the power and the safety feel is great. The gas mileage is not good, but that's the price for a bigger car. I have had terrible luck with the cooling. This car has often gone past 210 degrees. Smells hot! The radiator had to be replaced due to leaks twice. The front cooling housing had to be replaced because a leak formed in the middle of the metal housing due to heat! Cylinder 7 began miss-firing and cause the left cylinder head to be replaced. Heat also cause an anoying squeak due to leaks in engine block seal. I've been so careful with this car and has gotten me nowhere. I do like the 04 Durango!

Favorite Features

Great medium size. It towes well enough but I also never used the overdrive with pulling. Thats supposed to be better on the Tran. I loved being able to take 8 people in my truck! Great family car when it runs!!

Suggested Improvements

Fix the cooling system. Gas mileage stinks! Possibly give third seat more seating space.

Great SUV
By Greg Shupe

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Plus 4dr SUV 4WD

This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned.It has only been back to the dealer twice,once to clean the throttle body, second to replace the power steering pump. It has almost 80000 miles on it and averages over 18mpg on the road with the 4.7eng. I have a K&N air filter in it and use Mobil 1 5w-30 oil that I change every 10,000 miles. My wife loves the Durango. We have no intentions of selling it.

Favorite Features

I think the engine has plenty of snap. It rides great for the type of vehicle it is. The storage capicity is exceptional. The Infinity sound system is great. The power driver's seat is very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The suspension could be improved as it wants to fishtail slightly when it gets on a series of washboard bumps.

Much better than Chevy/Ford
By Brett

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Plus 4dr SUV 4WD

Good experience thus far with this vehicle (80,000+ miles). Minor electrical system issues/door actuators/control-arm bushings replaced. Ongoing issue with catalytic converter, more of a poor dealership service issue than with the vehicle. I have the 4wd version, VERY poor gas milage, especially with aftermarket agressive tires. I highly recommend buying extended warranty, as with any American car, interior accessories are beginning to fail.

Favorite Features

Offroad Characteristics (with aftermarket all-terrain tires), Inclimate weather handling.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission made beefier, heavier spring/sway or anti-roll bars. Eliminate 4.7 liter engine platform, underpowered. Door actuators and wiper motors need to be stronger.

Good Family Car
By Missymoo

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Plus 4dr SUV

We bought this car to tow a trailer on family vacations and drive kids around. It has been great for those purposes. The 3rd row seat is great for the kids, not so comfortable for adults. Love the rear air conditioning.

Favorite Features

The overhead console with room for sunglasses & garage door opener. Also the computer showing temperature and milage info.

Suggested Improvements

Tows great, but the gas milage leaves a bit to be desired (I average 11-12 miles/gal).

My 'Rango
By Heather L

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

We have been very happy with our Durango until just recently. With less than 70k miles, we have had numerous problems with the vehicle. We have been in to the shop FOUR times to get the brakes worked on, but still have problems with them. The ball joints are so worn they need to be replaced. (I have recently discovered that this is a common problem with Durangos & Dakotas). We need our inner tie rods replaced (and Dodge is on backorder for tie rods, we're looking to wait at least a couple of weeks). I love the vehicle, it's spacious and comfortable, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking to buy a vehicle. Just my opinion, though!

Favorite Features

Powerful V8 engine, comfortable seats, seats 7, room for full spare

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, braking system, steering system