Used 2000 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Overheating
By jsmith

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Plus 4dr SUV

What a pig. I like to buy cars and drive them forever. I had this Durango in the dealer for overheating problems no less than 5 times over the course of 1.5 yrs. (yes I am stubborn). New water pump, new radiator, new thermostat, new hoses... still overheats. Replaced sway bars and a few yrs later the front end squeeks again. Fast truck and fun to drive. But not reliable and terrible mileage (14-15 on the hwy doing avg 70-75). Hit a bump and you're airborne. You can do better.

Fast, interesting body shape.

Better mileage (come on - its a mid size SUV, Suburbans get better mileage).

Junk SUV
By Junk

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Plus 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought SLT+ with 38000 miles in 01. Engine died at 105,000 miles. Required a completely new engine (alternative? a 6000 pound paper-weight). Many others have complained about the oil pressure dropping - google "oil pump failure Dodge Durango" and see the results for yourself. If you buy one, you will regret this purchase. I personally will never buy Dodge again. JUNK SUV.

Engines that actually dont blow.

Big Red Truck
By Tim D'Angelo

2000 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4dr SUV 4WD

I would change very few things on my Durango. My Durango has moved my family two times now and that has paid for the truck ten times over. It can pull anything I throw at it, drive in any kinds of condition with complete safety and keeps us safe even when foolish drivers deciede they need to hit us. It's a shame the new Durango looks like a minivan.

Power

More power

Money Pit
By Wm T Vadney

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Wonderful concept & design, if it was done right! Seems they put a truck chassis on a Neon body. Bought used in 2003. 1st year, ball joints & steering rack replaced @ 41,000 mis, (a common problem they said-steering still wobbly) & brake caliper bushings. ($1,100.00)-2nd year, ball joints again (recall) Now the transmission is gone. ($1200.00 - $2000.00) I figured a truck would be heavy duty. Ram tough my eye. Great design but the system that runs it is terrible. If it can't go it may as well be just an expensive lawn ornament. Even more deplorable is the Chrysler's "sorry your disappointed" response and no action to keep a customer. Repairs paid more than paid on loan so far.

Seven passenger, folding seats & roomy

If you're going to make a truck, have a system that can handle it.

Too much gas!
By itsmine59

2000 Dodge Durango SUV R/T 4dr SUV 4WD

This thing is a sight to behold. Its interior and exterior styling is awesome. The flame red color is the best red color on the road. Nice exhaust sound. This thing needs its own gas station! I get an average fuel economy of 9.9 MPG. It has power, but it is a bit sluggish. It is a little slow and does not get off the line that great, but once you get going look out! An awesome car for the money. It is perfect just being plain ol' factory stock. 17" wheels, beefy tires, nice exhaust. It turns heads.

Looks, color, exhaust, seats

Gas mileage, something to give it that needed boost from a dead start like a turbo or supercharger.