2000 Dodge Durango Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

2000 Durango Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Sort Reviews by

Patriot Blues
By MagnumV8

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Plus 4dr SUV

Overall I have enjoyed my Durango. Great styling, excellent exceleration, gorgeous Patriot Blue Metallic paint, and some nice creature features, for a truck. However, being one who swore to never buy an SUV, next time, I'll stick to my words. Noise under the hood, sounds like bad bearings in the air conditioning unit. Popping in the suspension. Never make an emergency stop in this vehicle. One power door lock replaced. Power windows, sometimes. One freeze plug replaced at 64k miles.

Favorite Features

Performance, Styling and It's almost paid for.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, Gas Mileage, Door locks, power windows or make the warranty 10 years/100,000 miles bumper to bumper.

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By Powerthink

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Plus 4dr SUV 4WD

I've been very impressed with this baby. At 31,000 miles/30 months, this thing still feels tight, powerful and very useful and enjoyable. We bought this when our 3rd child was born. It fits our family perfectly. The worst thing about it is too many are being bought out there. Only problems to date have been power windows motor (replaced) and rear air motor (repaired).

Favorite Features

Looks and acceleration/power

Suggested Improvements

Improve fuel efficiency!

Beware of Oil Gelling
By Big Mistake

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

No problems with vehicle, except it is a gas guzzler. At 44,000 miles engine threw a rod and blew due to oil sludge buildup. There are over 182+ people with the same malfunction ranging from 3000 miles new to 60000 miles. Very common problem in the 5.2L. Research before you buy.

Suggested Improvements

They have already stopped using the 5.2, unfortunate for those of us stuck with the problem ones.

2000 Dodge Durango
By Jodi

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Plus 4dr SUV

The A/C in the Durango is terrible on mine and anyone else I have spoke to that owns or has owned one. Also there is a design flaw where the A/C condensation drips onto the manifold and makes a ticking/hissing noise, there is nothing the can do to fix it my neighbor has the same problem.

Durango
By vegasdriver

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

Very comfortable. Will turn better than many smaller cars. Mine is 2WD, it has gotten stuck on gravel shoulders. Stock tires squeal and slip on easy starts. Rear only anti- lock brakes are a bad engineering scheme, the truck skids easily.

Favorite Features

Third bench seat, great turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the brakes.

my dodge durango
By krd

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Plus 4dr SUV 4WD

My experience with my Dodge Durango has been nothing but positive. The only problem I had was a faulty drivers outside mirror which was replaced by the dealer no charge. Other negatives would be poor gas mileage and at times the ride is truck like but it is all and all a very nice vehicle. Have cruised many miles in the Durango and it gives me trouble free driving.

Favorite Features

Really like to powerful engine..gives you plenty of power when you need it. Also the interior is user friendly with everything pretty well at hand. The third row seat is another useful option and can be folded when not in use.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to see better fuel mileage but I also realize with a V8 that could be something that isnt possible. Also the seats could have had more lumbar support on them...on long trips it would be appreciated.

Awesome truck, horrible gas mileage
By ej55555

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Plus 4dr SUV 4WD

I thought this truck was going to be the ultimate ride on and off road. And I was right! Handling like a sports car as I fly off the road into a field at 60mph and not even blink an eye, or even spill my coffee. Now that's excitement! Eat that Tahoe! If the gas mileage wasn't so horrible, it would be the ultimate SUV.

Favorite Features

Sports car handling in a 5000 pound truck was one of the greatest feelings. The overwhelming room to carry and pull ANYTHING! And the ability to drive through anything. Living with Minnesota's harsh winters was so much easier with this truck. Nice wide stance.

Suggested Improvements

Ok, so here's the break down. The gas mileage is insane! I have the 5.9 360 with the 5.92 gears and I only get 11.9mpg on the average. Since I bought the truck, the best I've EVER gotten was 16mpg on the freeway, and that was with the wind behind me!! It's horrible!!!

The Perfect Size
By Mark O

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Plus 4dr SUV 4WD

I wanted a large SUV but my garage door was too small. The Durango was perfect. TONS of room, but not a river barge like a Suburban, Expedition, ETC. Big 5.9liter engine, reliable, nice leather....get the BIG mirrors, they look better and you can see everything when backing up or passing. 40K miles and no problems (except a burt out fog light)

Favorite Features

Big engine, 3rd row seat, rear air conditioner, radio controls on the steering wheel, 12volt power plug in the rear cargo area (nice touch)

Suggested Improvements

PLEASE GOD!! PUT TOW HOOKS ON THE FRONT NEXT TIME. Need electric 4wd selector (the new models have this).

I'd buy another
By texanbetty

2000 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've been a GMC/Chevy person my whole life...This is my first Dodge. I have 25000 miles on it so far..I have had problems with it trying to stall, but took it in and the chip was replaced, then I had a problem with the front wheel berings which were replaced. The transmission could be a little tighter...Those are the only things that have gone wrong...I like the turning radis and the outside appearance...I think for the price it's a really good truck...I didn't expect it to ride smoothly because it's a TRUCK and a 4x4 at that...But I like the pick-up and the handling in traffic...and it fits in my garage..I'm pretty satisfied with it and i'd buy another

Favorite Features

outside looks, handling and turning radius, pick-up, the size of the truck is not too small not too big,4x4

Suggested Improvements

wind noise when it rains, the plastic interior, GAS MILEAGE, seats a little more comfortable, AND a better stereo system standard...come on, no one listens to tapes anymore

Best Buy Ever
By Jana Green

2000 Dodge Durango SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Great Vehicle. Just remember there is more to life than gas mileage. I have 3 kids, the extra seat came in extremely handy for the "She's touching me" sibling syndrome. I traded this vehicle in for a Suzuki Esteem for the gas mileage. What a horrid mistake I made. The Durango is the best SUV out there. Never had any problems. Great ride and lots of compliments. No brainer Go with the Durango.

Favorite Features

Looks, ride, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.