Used 2000 Dodge Durango SLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

saved my life
By preston11

2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

i have had my durango for about a year and it was fun to drive and was great on gas. but one day i was out with my friend we were on a dirt road messing around but then we were heading home and a deer ran out in front of me. i lost control of the car and flipthe durango we were ok nothing to bad but the suv was a lose. i would have to say that the durango saved my life and i would be proud to buy another one.

still running
By Still going

2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

I bought this used in 2004. It had 66,000 miles when I got it. At 126,677 miles I replaced the radiator, water pump and the starter only. Outside of new tires, brakes and an alignment I have had no Major issues with this vehicle. Gas mileage isnt the greatest, but it is still running the same. I am in the navy and move around a lot and this vehicle has been overseas and on several long distance trips. Most dodges seem to go down around 80,000 miles, this one has gotten better and better with age. Everyone complains about dodges having a million issues. No car is perfect, sometimes they come the plant with problems and at times quality control is the issues. Preventative maintainance is the key

room and towing capacaity

stronger engine and fuel economy. better interior for less cabin noise.

Amazing vehicle!
By devoe6xo

2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

I bought mine in December of 2008 with 107,000 miles on it, and for the money I paid it was a great deal! This thing runs like a champ. I take it everywhere that my friends take there more expensive 4x4 trucks and get through everything with ease. Mine had the 5.9 L V-8 in it so it had plenty of power, with some to spare. I absolutely loved this s.u.v and would have never gotten rid of it if gas hadn't gotten to 4 bucks a gallon.

The power that it had, and its ability to get through anything-gravel, mud, sugar sand, you name it, it got through it!

Make the cup holders deeper, my drinks always flipped out. Oh, and maybe improving the gas mileage a bit, 11-12 miles a gallon ain't cool when gas is 4 bucks a gallon!

Disaster waiting to happen
By Sludge Monster

2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

I once read a Durango review that stated, "You never forget you're driving a truck" and that is a perfect description of this SUV's ride comfort. I wanted truck-like durability so I wasn't worried about the harshness of the ride; I liked the high clearance and true off-road capability of this vehicle. However, there is a huge oil-pressure issue with this engine. Dodge blames "sludge" and poor maintenance but even meticulously maintained Durangos meet the same fate. Our engine literally blew up just before 60,000 miles. Replaced the engine only to discover more issues requiring money. I loved driving this SUV but warn used car buyers to steer clear of this potential money pit.

High clearance, wide-body stability, towing performance

Needs better ride for long-distance driving, but most importantly the engine needs a complete overhaul to make it more reliable and not so susceptible to "sludge" that will kill it way way waaaay before its time.

Towing Machine
By Jeff

2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

It does have some rattles and pops but with 105,000 miles, not too bad. Great towing SUV. Pulls our camper with no problems with the 5.9, 360 engine. Have had to replace some motor components but nothing real costly.

Towing power