1999 Dodge Durango SLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

1999 Durango Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Sort Reviews by

First and LAST Dodge
By sweat

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

Bought extended warranty to 50k miles. At 70k miles, check engine light came on and was told by Palmer Dodge needed $700 to repair transmission. Ind. shop said nothing was wrong, changed fuild and never had another problem. At 72k miles, engine blew up. Dealer said too bad..no one at Chrysler would talk with me..Spent $3000 to replace engine. At 82k miles, was told valve was bad in 1 cylinder. Traded car today for new Volvo. Got $7K trade in and still owed $13K. Still happiest day of my life. DODGE, CHRYSLER AND PALMER DODGE IN ALPHARETTA, GA ARE THE WORST IN THE WORLD. I feel sorry for anyone I see in a Durango.

Favorite Features

DAY I GOT RID OF IT.

Suggested Improvements

TAKE THE BUS OR BUY A BICYCLE INSTEAD.

Love it! Hate it!
By vonblue

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I absolutely love this vehicle for its style and usability, and absolutely hate it for gas mileage and reliabilty. Folom Lake Dodge has got to be the worst dealership I have ever delt with. The 5.2L V-8 engine has a terrible pinging or spark knocking sound when accelerating. The dealership told us that this is a common problem with the Durango, and that the engine system had to be "FLASHED", and that the extended warranty we paid $2,000 for would not cover the work. We had the service and a complete tune-up done and it still pings. At 22,000 miles three of the four electric window switches went out on it. It is slowly becoming a frustrating vehicle.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling and V-8 power. Great turning radius. Seats 7 passengers and plenty of cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, Gas mileage, Gas mileage. 11mpg just doesn't cut it. Especially when the sticker and dealer told us that it would get 17mpg. Get rid of the automatic adjusting timing. I prefer to be able to adjust the timing.

Overall excellet auto
By casabarnett

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my car for 4 years with no major problems and have loved every minute driving it

Favorite Features

Leg and head room, 7 passangers, towing, and overall looks

Suggested Improvements

Exterior paint quality could be alittle better

pos
By john g

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

anything with 4-wheel drive is fun to drive in the snow. we have lost our transmition, it took 3 weeks to get back only to have more problems with the obd. its going tomm. a`nd i am getting a nissan maxima

Suggested Improvements

build a better engine that does not instigate oil sludge build up, and please redesign the transmitions.

What's the problem?
By Cosrai

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

Bought 2 identical Durangoes for my company at the same time. We've had some problems, but all were relatively minor. I believe Dodge suffers from a bad reputation and this is reflected in some of the reviews. My father's 2 new Chevy P'ups had their transmissions replaced- one of them twice. My wife's Infiniti needed a transmission at 15k. But who'd call a Chevy or an Infinit a piece of junk? As for gas mileage, yeah, I think it's a little low but I've got the 5.9 and I've still gotten as much as 17.9 on the highway. I've crossed the Continental Divide in my Durango and I was passing every car I had the chance to. How many other vehicles that'll haul 7 people can do that?

Favorite Features

Handling, Great Infinity Sound system, room for 7, comfortable seats, aerodynamics allow for little or no buffeting from crosswinds (nice in a high profile vehicle).

Suggested Improvements

Variable valve timing, or similar, to improve gas mileage. Make it a little bigger (but they're going to do that anyway in 2004). Make all the dealers be as good as the one I go to.

Nice vehicle Poor engine
By 025433

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

A good vehicle. I have had several engine problems the last 14 months. I will not be able to keep this vehicle after the warrenty runs out. I would go broke fixing it. Very disapointing!!

Fit the bill - and delivered
By Donnie E

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I got what I expected. Purchased new off the lot. Needed 7 seatbelts. Only thing to go wrong in 4 years was the battery. Dealer arranged pickyup, replacement, and return. Bought for 31K, sold for 18K (held for just over 4 years).

Favorite Features

Size. Big vehicle that turns like a small car. Also, able to haul 6 kids - comfortably.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy.

love my Durango
By sandrat

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

everyone in the family love to drive this vehicle. Comfortable for driver and passenger. Only mechanical problem was driver's side power window failure just outside of 30k/36mo warranty. Cost was $200. No other problems. Pulled trailers in soft sand. Great truck.

Favorite Features

comfortable and good looking inside and out. Good ride on and off road. great rear air. Lots of room inside. Room for seven adults and still fits in my garage

Suggested Improvements

Would love to have manual transmission, better mpg.and tougher bumpers. Other improvements with window and MPG already addressed in newer models

On a positive note
By Taybjay

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Funny on how many people complain about the gas mileage on this Durango. 13 To 16 miles to the gallon. What are they comparing it to?? Remember this is a V8 and not a wimpy V6. Look at the other V8 sport uts on the market and you'll see that they ALL get around the same MPG !!! We are pleased with our Durango. It has given us 63,000 problem free miles. Do ALL you recommened service intervals for problem free ownership. And it's still rattle free on these horrid Michigan roads.

So Far So Good
By Ghostmirage

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have recently purchased a 1999 Durango with 20000, great so far. I have had nothing but GREAT things to say about it so far but the mileage is low and so far so good. I find the vehicle to be comfortable, and a please to drive in the SNOW. Looking forward to making some improvement to extend gas mileage.

Favorite Features

The space and the ability to tow, as I will be borrowing a pop trailer and seeing the great outdoors.

Suggested Improvements

GAS MILEAGE, GAS MILEAGE GAS MILEAGE.