1999 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews 9

1999 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
First and LAST Dodge
By sweat on 04/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

Bought extended warranty to 50k miles. At 70k miles, check engine light came on and was told by Palmer Dodge needed $700 to repair transmission. Ind. shop said nothing was wrong, changed fuild and never had another problem. At 72k miles, engine blew up. Dealer said too bad..no one at Chrysler would talk with me..Spent $3000 to replace engine. At 82k miles, was told valve was bad in 1 cylinder. Traded car today for new Volvo. Got $7K trade in and still owed $13K. Still happiest day of my life. DODGE, CHRYSLER AND PALMER DODGE IN ALPHARETTA, GA ARE THE WORST IN THE WORLD. I feel sorry for anyone I see in a Durango.

Love it! Hate it!
By vonblue on 03/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I absolutely love this vehicle for its style and usability, and absolutely hate it for gas mileage and reliabilty. Folom Lake Dodge has got to be the worst dealership I have ever delt with. The 5.2L V-8 engine has a terrible pinging or spark knocking sound when accelerating. The dealership told us that this is a common problem with the Durango, and that the engine system had to be "FLASHED", and that the extended warranty we paid $2,000 for would not cover the work. We had the service and a complete tune-up done and it still pings. At 22,000 miles three of the four electric window switches went out on it. It is slowly becoming a frustrating vehicle.

Overall excellet auto
By casabarnett on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my car for 4 years with no major problems and have loved every minute driving it

pos
By john g on 02/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

anything with 4-wheel drive is fun to drive in the snow. we have lost our transmition, it took 3 weeks to get back only to have more problems with the obd. its going tomm. a`nd i am getting a nissan maxima

Nice vehicle Poor engine
By 025433 on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

A good vehicle. I have had several engine problems the last 14 months. I will not be able to keep this vehicle after the warrenty runs out. I would go broke fixing it. Very disapointing!!

What's the problem?
By Cosrai on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

Bought 2 identical Durangoes for my company at the same time. We've had some problems, but all were relatively minor. I believe Dodge suffers from a bad reputation and this is reflected in some of the reviews. My father's 2 new Chevy P'ups had their transmissions replaced- one of them twice. My wife's Infiniti needed a transmission at 15k. But who'd call a Chevy or an Infinit a piece of junk? As for gas mileage, yeah, I think it's a little low but I've got the 5.9 and I've still gotten as much as 17.9 on the highway. I've crossed the Continental Divide in my Durango and I was passing every car I had the chance to. How many other vehicles that'll haul 7 people can do that?

Fit the bill - and delivered
By Donnie E on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I got what I expected. Purchased new off the lot. Needed 7 seatbelts. Only thing to go wrong in 4 years was the battery. Dealer arranged pickyup, replacement, and return. Bought for 31K, sold for 18K (held for just over 4 years).

love my Durango
By sandrat on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

everyone in the family love to drive this vehicle. Comfortable for driver and passenger. Only mechanical problem was driver's side power window failure just outside of 30k/36mo warranty. Cost was $200. No other problems. Pulled trailers in soft sand. Great truck.

On a positive note
By Taybjay on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Funny on how many people complain about the gas mileage on this Durango. 13 To 16 miles to the gallon. What are they comparing it to?? Remember this is a V8 and not a wimpy V6. Look at the other V8 sport uts on the market and you'll see that they ALL get around the same MPG !!! We are pleased with our Durango. It has given us 63,000 problem free miles. Do ALL you recommened service intervals for problem free ownership. And it's still rattle free on these horrid Michigan roads.

So Far So Good
By Ghostmirage on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have recently purchased a 1999 Durango with 20000, great so far. I have had nothing but GREAT things to say about it so far but the mileage is low and so far so good. I find the vehicle to be comfortable, and a please to drive in the SNOW. Looking forward to making some improvement to extend gas mileage.