Used 1999 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

1999 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

If you like to bounce
By JudaStar

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my Durango for 2 years. It is fully loaded and beautiful inside and out, metallic emerald green with dark gray leather interior. The sound system is great. I do have some complaints though. The ride is not so smooth but maybe it's because of the big knobby Wrangler tires that I think are standard...and mine still has. I love the way the tires make the vehicle look but am thinking about replacing them with a tire that might make the ride smoother. The electric windows stick (I've had them unstuck several times) and the brakes are sometimes scary. I have read other reviews complaining about the windows sticking and scary brakes.

Favorite Features

Looks inside and out. Features like displaying mileage that is left on a tank of gas and tempature are cool to have. Awesome sound system. Holds lots of people or storage.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the window sticking problem. Improve the brakes. Make the ride smoother. Put the console in another place so I can put my purse between seats. Shorten middle seat so there is room next to the door to move around in the vihicle. I would like the outside style to stay the same but more room inside like a minivan.

Love my Dodge
By Dan S.

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased the Durango after looking around at many other models. I loved the looks and power. We tow a very large camper as well as a farm tractor, and use it for other work around the farm. Have had no problems until now. Transmission is starting to give trouble. Everything still works great and we have the SLT plus. Still use it when we need to carry 7 people. nNver been stuck yet, thanks to 4WD.

Favorite Features

Power, interior room and still small size on outside.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission to match power and towing capability.

The not so new Durango
By Faith Huff

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We are a family who drives nothing but classic cars, so, buying this Durango was very difficult - but necessary. Knowing that its painful to buy a new car, this particular vehicle numbed it alot, as its good on gas, great on sleekness, and wonderful on reliability. I am a 21 year old female, and I would trust this Durango to get me across the country from California to Michigan alone without any worries. It's not new, its not a C.P.O., but its got all the space we need, the comfort, reliability and gas mileage we desire. I reccomend this vehicle to anyone, even though I generally am anti-new car. I am impressed.

Favorite Features

I love the way it drives. Plain and simple, it's smooth, accelerates nicely, brakes stunk at first, but are fixed now. The comfort is beyond compare as far as an SUV is concerned.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats.

Satisifed
By T

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my 99 Durango for 6 years now. I am satisfied with it although not ecstatic about it. I would recommend getting an extended warranty after the manufacturers runs out. I bought one for $1300 that covers everything with no deductible for 4 years and I have used about $1200 in warranty so far after 2 years. Not a lot of problems, however, SUV's are not as reliable as cars, and have more expensive repairs. I have never had another SUV to compare. The serpentine belt is definitely an issue with mine. I have 67k miles and need to replace the belt for a second time. 4WD light was broke twice. Rear ended a car from behind doing about 5MPH and not a scratch on my vehicle.

Favorite Features

Looks, comfort, room for passengers and cargo.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel Efficiency!!

Best SUV
By Imabeliever

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Durango over five years ago and have had no problems. I service it every 3000 miles with AMSOIL. I've put this vehicle to the test from day to day in town driving to serious off road mountain adventure.

Favorite Features

comfort, style, and can take a serious beating and still come out on top

Suggested Improvements

Could you have all that power without sucking so much gas please?