1999 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
My Durango
By Alabama Bill on 10/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've driven this vehicle across the country, up mountains, through deserts, floods, wind and rain, and it has always responded with power and control.

OK so far
By dterry on 10/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought SLT 4wd new (99). Have basically had no trouble with it. Have 57000 miles and still on original tires, shocks and ball joints. Many others have had problems with these areas. Gas mileage 14-17 is about what I expected. But I have not off roaded it. Have towed boat. Have had a little problem with minor surging at hiway speeds. Basically I have enjoyed this truck. But lease is coming up and am wondering what I am going to do.....

dodge Durango SLT 4wd
By sjohn on 09/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Very comfortable. Great 4wd. Gas hog. Stiff ride. Run extras with stereo and cassette controls on steering wheel. Rear ac and heat is nice.

Beware of oil Sludge Engine after 90k...
By Marcus Williams on 09/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

Beware of oil Sludge Engine after 90k, I am an owner of a 99 Dodge Durango. Other than the $30k I paid for it, and the extra $5k I'm having to spend in repairs, it drives decent. The truck has a problem with the oil pump causing the oil pressure to drop which causes the engine to burn out overtime. I found this to be a problem in many Dodge Durangos after going to consumer Affairs and reading about it. It's been over 30 instances of this same problem. If you want to read about it, here's the article http://consumeraffairs.com/automotive/do dge_dur_oil.html

One of the Worst Vehicles I Have Owned
By GreenPower on 09/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This joke of a SUV averages 10 mpg around town, on the highway maybe 14 mpg. It has a variety of odd squeaks and assorted noises that the dealer cannot find and repair. My wife drives this vehicle around town, never offroad - the rear leaf springs snapped, which cost close to $1000.00 to replace. A power window sensor malfunctioned preventing the window from operating - $300.00 to repair. The power mirrors are now malfunctioning. The transmission is slipping. Overall this vehicle sucks - I'll never buy another Chrysler product.

A Dependable Friend
By docluck on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I actually recently turned in my 98 Durango after having owned it for five and-a-quarter years. In that time, it was the most dependable American car I'd ever owned, and it rarely gave me any major mechanical problems. It looked great even when I turned it in 5 years later. I found the 5.2 liter 318 engine very adept at doing it's job. In the time I had it, I moved 3 times. During the first two moves, I towed a fully packed 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix behind, and the Durnago never broke a sweat, even climbing through the mountains. The truck was good on the road, and had enough weight to it that I didn't feel like the trailer was driving the truck.

Learning Experience
By meanestmomever on 08/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the Durango because it had 7 passenger seating and was NOT a mini- van. I wanted the security of 4x4 since we have ice & snow 9 mo out of the year. Turns out the Durango is quite squirly on the ice, the rear end swings out, and it comes standard with 4 ply tires which are no good in rural areas or mixed dirt & pavement. Lots of flats. Oh and no anti-lock braking if the 4x4 is engaged.

This car stinks!!
By LTEscott on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

The 99 Durango has plenty of horses to get up and go, but it has been a struggle to keep it on the road. I have had problem with the entire front suspension, the A/C, the air bag, various sensors, the engine was using oil at the rate of a quart every 800 miles, and the last thing is the transmission blew to the tune of $5000. This car only has 70,000 miles on it and I have already put close to $11,000 in repair bills. I am so upside down that I can see China!!

good so far
By biggj on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

brought slt so far no problem, enjoy driving, very bad on gas, rear air don't cool like i would like. very good on the hwy

great truck
By durango on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have put over 60k miles on this truck in 2 years. I absolutely love it! It has the looks and performance I need. Would definitely recommend to anyone considering an SUV. Gas mileage is a little low (15-16 average) but what do you expect from a V8 SUV? Great comfort for long trips.