1999 Dodge Durango SLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

1999 Durango Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Sort Reviews by

My Durango
By Alabama Bill

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've driven this vehicle across the country, up mountains, through deserts, floods, wind and rain, and it has always responded with power and control.

Favorite Features

steering wheel audio controls cargo capacity power

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage sucks

OK so far
By dterry

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought SLT 4wd new (99). Have basically had no trouble with it. Have 57000 miles and still on original tires, shocks and ball joints. Many others have had problems with these areas. Gas mileage 14-17 is about what I expected. But I have not off roaded it. Have towed boat. Have had a little problem with minor surging at hiway speeds. Basically I have enjoyed this truck. But lease is coming up and am wondering what I am going to do.....

Favorite Features

Looks, power,3rd row seat

Suggested Improvements

AC needs reworking. Is barely adequate in high heat conditions.

dodge Durango SLT 4wd
By sjohn

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Very comfortable. Great 4wd. Gas hog. Stiff ride. Run extras with stereo and cassette controls on steering wheel. Rear ac and heat is nice.

Favorite Features

Stereo and controls on steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage

Beware of oil Sludge Engine after 90k...
By Marcus Williams

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

Beware of oil Sludge Engine after 90k, I am an owner of a 99 Dodge Durango. Other than the $30k I paid for it, and the extra $5k I'm having to spend in repairs, it drives decent. The truck has a problem with the oil pump causing the oil pressure to drop which causes the engine to burn out overtime. I found this to be a problem in many Dodge Durangos after going to consumer Affairs and reading about it. It's been over 30 instances of this same problem. If you want to read about it, here's the article http://consumeraffairs.com/automotive/do dge_dur_oil.html

One of the Worst Vehicles I Have Owned
By GreenPower

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This joke of a SUV averages 10 mpg around town, on the highway maybe 14 mpg. It has a variety of odd squeaks and assorted noises that the dealer cannot find and repair. My wife drives this vehicle around town, never offroad - the rear leaf springs snapped, which cost close to $1000.00 to replace. A power window sensor malfunctioned preventing the window from operating - $300.00 to repair. The power mirrors are now malfunctioning. The transmission is slipping. Overall this vehicle sucks - I'll never buy another Chrysler product.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Buy another vehicle

A Dependable Friend
By docluck

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I actually recently turned in my 98 Durango after having owned it for five and-a-quarter years. In that time, it was the most dependable American car I'd ever owned, and it rarely gave me any major mechanical problems. It looked great even when I turned it in 5 years later. I found the 5.2 liter 318 engine very adept at doing it's job. In the time I had it, I moved 3 times. During the first two moves, I towed a fully packed 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix behind, and the Durnago never broke a sweat, even climbing through the mountains. The truck was good on the road, and had enough weight to it that I didn't feel like the trailer was driving the truck.

Favorite Features

The third row seat came in handly many times when we would have family come to visit. At most (with some children), we were able to fit 8 people comfortably inside.

Suggested Improvements

I only had my truck in for major repairs due to a timing belt problem, and for one other issue which was covered under warranty. So, no mechanical complaints. I think that perhaps a little bit more legroom for the third row of seats would be a good improvement.

Learning Experience
By meanestmomever

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the Durango because it had 7 passenger seating and was NOT a mini- van. I wanted the security of 4x4 since we have ice & snow 9 mo out of the year. Turns out the Durango is quite squirly on the ice, the rear end swings out, and it comes standard with 4 ply tires which are no good in rural areas or mixed dirt & pavement. Lots of flats. Oh and no anti-lock braking if the 4x4 is engaged.

Favorite Features

7 passenger seating is great for kids and when third seat not needed there is lots of cargo space. Tows like a dream!

Suggested Improvements

Better tires and brake system.

good so far
By biggj

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

brought slt so far no problem, enjoy driving, very bad on gas, rear air don't cool like i would like. very good on the hwy

Favorite Features

third row seats, good handle and steering

Suggested Improvements

rear air cooling, more cargo room with third seat up, better gas per miles

This car stinks!!
By LTEscott

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

The 99 Durango has plenty of horses to get up and go, but it has been a struggle to keep it on the road. I have had problem with the entire front suspension, the A/C, the air bag, various sensors, the engine was using oil at the rate of a quart every 800 miles, and the last thing is the transmission blew to the tune of $5000. This car only has 70,000 miles on it and I have already put close to $11,000 in repair bills. I am so upside down that I can see China!!

Favorite Features

The only redeeming feature of the Durango is the raw horsepower of the 5.9L V-*

Suggested Improvements

Take the radiator cap off and keep it. Start all over from there!

great truck
By durango

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have put over 60k miles on this truck in 2 years. I absolutely love it! It has the looks and performance I need. Would definitely recommend to anyone considering an SUV. Gas mileage is a little low (15-16 average) but what do you expect from a V8 SUV? Great comfort for long trips.

Favorite Features

Great highway vehicle and excellent off road ability - rare in a SUV these days - they are all becoming oversized cars, this is a TRUCK!

Suggested Improvements

Could use better gas mileage...possibly a diesel...