Used 1999 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

1999 Dodge Durango

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Most Helpful|
If you like to bounce
By JudaStar

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my Durango for 2 years. It is fully loaded and beautiful inside and out, metallic emerald green with dark gray leather interior. The sound system is great. I do have some complaints though. The ride is not so smooth but maybe it's because of the big knobby Wrangler tires that I think are standard...and mine still has. I love the way the tires make the vehicle look but am thinking about replacing them with a tire that might make the ride smoother. The electric windows stick (I've had them unstuck several times) and the brakes are sometimes scary. I have read other reviews complaining about the windows sticking and scary brakes.

Favorite Features

Looks inside and out. Features like displaying mileage that is left on a tank of gas and tempature are cool to have. Awesome sound system. Holds lots of people or storage.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the window sticking problem. Improve the brakes. Make the ride smoother. Put the console in another place so I can put my purse between seats. Shorten middle seat so there is room next to the door to move around in the vihicle. I would like the outside style to stay the same but more room inside like a minivan.

Paperweight
By Rychkid

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this car used, primarily for the size, looks, and 4WD. While the 4WD is great in the snow, everything else is a nightmare. It was in the shop 6x in the first 3 mos. The transmission went at 80K, upper ball joints at 82K, brakes at 85K, A/C & heat at 87K, power steering at 100K, leaking oil at 108K. This is the biggest piece of garbage that I have ever owned. I absolutely hate this vehicle. Do yourself a huge favor and steer clear. It's not built to last at all. The room inside & 4WD are great, but the price of repairs and annoyance factors will drive you insane. I can't wait to pick up my new vehicle. Again, stay far, far away.

Favorite Features

4WD, size, looks, interior room.

Suggested Improvements

Completely discontinue manufacturing Durangos. They have the worst service, repair, mileage records of virtually any SUV. Might want to start socking away some cash, because combined with awful gas mileage, you're going to throw good money after bad at this thing on repairs.

185,000 Durango
By Durango Dave

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new and used as a daily driver/home construction work truck/ski vehicle for the past 10 years. Avg fuel economy of 14.5mpg. 5.9L engine with tow package. 4X4 with compound low transfer case has never failed me, left me stranded and there has never been snow conditions that have stopped me. Never needed chains. A/C condensor failed a couple of days after warranty expired. Rear washer hasn't worked for years. Had to completely rebuild the front end. Replaced water pump. Replaced manifold gaskets. That's about it. No problems with transmission or electricals.

Favorite Features

Seats 7. Tons of torque. Great vision. Can haul almost anything on the roof including small boats, skis, luggage, ping pong table. Leater interior still in excellent shape after 10 years.

Suggested Improvements

Bouncy ride, even with stiff Bilstien shocks. Would like better gas mileage, but don't want to give up the other features to get it. Buy a Prius to commute in.

I love this truck!
By bigrob54

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 99 Durango last fall. I purchased the vehical with the intent on making it into a mud bogger. I bought the truck from a retired couple that bought it new. They gave me all the recipts and a maintenace log. The truck only had 82000 miles on it! Over the winter I was in a accident with my everyday driver (2010 Silverado) The truck was totaled. I started to use the Durango as an everyday driver. I have NEVER owned a truck that did so well in the snow. I live in Northern Michigan. We get alot of snow! This Durango slices thru the snow at ease. I only had to use the 4 WD 3-4 times. I have since decieded not to turn this truck into a bogger. It's just in too good of shape. Great Truck!

Favorite Features

the rugged body and 4wd are worth the so, so MPG

Suggested Improvements

MPG would be one. For everyday driving in the city it sucks. But the power and 4wd make up for a little of that.

I hate this Dodge
By D

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had nothing but problems with my Durango. It's in the repair shop every other month with a bill of around $700.00 a whack. When I bought it, I wasn't planning on a monthly repair budget. I've had to replace all the major front end pieces, ball joints, tie rods, etc.. The belt has had to be replaced twice, spark plug wires twice, a gasket under the throttle body, one brake rotor, the windows keep sticking and now the u-joints are going out. But I do get to enjoy 18 mpg on the highway, if I'm lucky. :( At only 81,000 miles I should NOT be replacing major mechanical parts. If your planning on buying a Durango, plan on budgeting for monthly repairs and have back up transportation ready.

Favorite Features

Very nice looking truck. I added a grille gaurd and it looks very nice.

Suggested Improvements

Needs much better gas mileage. Serious quality improvments.