1999 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
SORRY DODGE YOU SCREWED UP!
By Durangos Suck on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the Durango a $1000 under what everyone else was asking and got a great deal. One year later the truck depreciates $3500 bucks, and have had nothing but problems since. Had to put in tranny seals in 2 times now, ball joint are goin out, tie rod ends are going out, exhaust is going out. shocks, minor electrical, squeaky pullys, fog light switch, windshield spayers, differental is acting wierd, Braking is pretty funky as well somtimes the antilocks works somtimes they don't. I am at the point I am scared to keep it any longer. Oh yes and everybodys favorite complaint the HORRABLE gas mialage! 10 mpg.

BIG MISTAKE
By TJC on 01/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I WAS HAPPY TO TRADE THIS VEHICLE IN AFTER LESS THAN A YEAR OF OWNERSHIP. WE EXPERIENCED PROBLEMS WITH SOME ELECTRICAL SENSORS FAILING. HOWEVER, THE MOST COSTLY & DISTURBING PROBLEMS CAME AFTER THE ENGINE STARTED LOOSING OIL PRESSURE AT LESS THAN 70,000 MILES. THE DEALERSHIP WE TOOK IT TO WAS NO HELP AT ALL. APPARENTLY THIS HAS BEEN A PROBLEM FOR A NUMBER OF DURANGO OWNERS. LOOK AT CONSUMER AFFAIRS REPORTS CLOSELY BEFORE PURCHASING THIS SUV! THOUGH IT HAD ALL THE FEATURES WE WANTED, IT HAS COST ME A TON OF MONEY. I HAVE REPLACED IT WITH A TAHOE AND GET BETTER MILAGE, SMOOTHER RIDE, MORE POWER, & MORE ROOM.

Sorry To See The Real Durango Go
By BravoCharlie on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my 99 Durango. 5 years & 75000 miles and the only problem has been a recurring blow on the cooling feed gasket -- not catestrophic but annoying. Other than that, solid. No creaks, no rattles, great reliability. Of course, I have it in for its 15000 mile pressure oil flush, pressure trans flush, and pressure coolant flush. Nominal maintenance as far as I am concerned... don't want to shell out another 40 grand for a new one! -- All in all, wife and I and foursome have been thrilled.

Would But It Again in a Heartbeat
By Goldynluvr on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it new with a 5.2L V8 and have never regretted it. Not even when the gas prices topped $2 per gallon here. It was a huge adjustment since my previous vehicle was a Saturn. But that only took a few days and she's been purring ever since. Sure it rides like a truck, but if I'd wanted a car, I would've bought one. Some minor glitches, otherwise no trouble.

Love it!
By Mankster on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had nothing but fun with my Durango. Compared to other SUVs, it ROCKS! Too many of them lack power, styling, room, etc... Not the Durango. It has all the above. The only thing I would like improved, would be the gas milage, though it's not all that bad when compared to other SUVs.

Won't sell my Durango
By scott r on 01/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Durango a little over 2 years ago and have been pleased. The 5.9L is very thirsty but great power when needed. Ride is trucklike but agile. Too much wind and road noise at highway speeds. Only problems have been a tough-to-fix tranny leak that has added up to $400 and a driver's side power window motor(vehicle now has 87000 miles). Great size but would be nice to have enough for 4 x 8 sheet of plywood/sheetrock. Aesthetically appealing interior and exterior. ABS system poor on snow/ice; I could stop faster without. Have been thinking of selling for less expensive payments but it is too fun to drive and too handy to get rid of.

I LOVE MY DURANGO!!
By betsman on 12/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My husband and I ordered our Durango and took delivery on new year's eve 1998. I have never ever regretted that day! I absolutely would recommend this vehicle to anyone and everyone. I think they screwed up when they redesigned it for 2004! I have no plans to trade or sell my durango. I love it! No mechanical problems, albeit the normal wear and tear (brakes, tires, etc.)

Large SUV feel in a small package
By ziggymon on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

Purchased our 5.2L new in 1999. This has been a wonderful vehicle. Yes, it rides a little stiff, but so do most other SUV's manufactured back then. However, the stiff ride allows for great cornering ability. Everyone knocks the gas milage. Have you checked other V8's fuel economy? Have you replaced your air filter? We just added a K&N air filter and are now getting 20 mpg on the highway! That's a 2 to 3 mpg improvement. As for the power....WOW! Passing has never been easier! And the pinging has all but disapeared. The truck has been nearly trouble free. Complete the scheduled maintenance and you shouldn't have any major problems.

My Durango
By kphillips2000 on 11/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have loved my '99 Durango in the three years I have owned it. It adapts from traveling to work, to carting kids to the game, to hooking the camper behind and going on a trip. Its never let me down with any sort of maintenance issues.

Happy Trails!
By Wally7 on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

Like many the best day of my Durango ownership was the day I traded it. Constant problems with the electrics (windows, locks, etc.) and then a transmission failure after 61k miles of soccer patrol. So the "ram tough" V8 durango with "heavy duty towing package" lost a tranny after 61k miles of hauling kids to shcool and gym. Happy trails Dodge, my fist and last.