Used 1999 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

1999 Dodge Durango

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Funner than a rodeo
By Joeb612

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my first 4wd vehicle and I have to say that the ride is different than the Lexus RX300 I was driving. It is far better suited to the climate I live in. I have not suffered from the dreaded stopping on a hill and not being able to creep forward due to tire slipage. The 11.7 mpg city hurts a little, but overall a far more usfull vehicle. The third row seating w fold up second row makes for great movie watching for the kids on long drives. gives them lots of play room and still gives you room for a couple suitcases behind the third row.

Favorite Features

The 4wd

Suggested Improvements

They have already made a lot of improvement on the newer models.

Great Ride
By 20 Car Fan

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The 5.9 ate up the a recent cruise through the mountains. Brakes were strong and precise. Plus, the clean lines and classic look make it a great vehicle to cruise in.

Favorite Features

Rear air, third seat and 5.9 litter V8.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission

Garbage...
By CozmoCarera

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I hate this car. I have a '99 Durango and I have had just about nothing but problems with it. I have had to replace everything... the transmition, every single belt that is under the hood, the power window mechanisms, and today i was driving down the highway and looked down and my speedometer was on 0. In other words, the speedometer is broken as well. The check engine light also decides that he's going to join in on the fun every month or so just for the heck of it. Grade A piece of crap. I wil most likely never buy a Chrysler product ever again.

Favorite Features

Sound system is decent, and the engine power is pretty good... shame the rest of the car isn't as good.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality.

My biggest mistake
By lmounten

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Durango 01/2005 and here it is only 7 months into having it and I hate it. I bought it with the thought of safety in mind because I have 2 small children. Well, I found out first hand that when it rains I fish tail on turns and slide on the snow (and I don't drive fast). I bought the Durango from a known dealership and I have had so many problems with it. The brakes were supposedly replaced and they are so bad. The battery went dead the 3rd month into having it, the water pump went out in month 6 and now something is wrong again. So I am searching hard for something else and no dealer wants to give me what it's booking for, so what does that tell you?

Favorite Features

I do love the rear air, overhead console and the steering wheel radio controls.

Suggested Improvements

Please improve this gas guzzler.

I hate this Dodge
By D

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had nothing but problems with my Durango. It's in the repair shop every other month with a bill of around $700.00 a whack. When I bought it, I wasn't planning on a monthly repair budget. I've had to replace all the major front end pieces, ball joints, tie rods, etc.. The belt has had to be replaced twice, spark plug wires twice, a gasket under the throttle body, one brake rotor, the windows keep sticking and now the u-joints are going out. But I do get to enjoy 18 mpg on the highway, if I'm lucky. :( At only 81,000 miles I should NOT be replacing major mechanical parts. If your planning on buying a Durango, plan on budgeting for monthly repairs and have back up transportation ready.

Favorite Features

Very nice looking truck. I added a grille gaurd and it looks very nice.

Suggested Improvements

Needs much better gas mileage. Serious quality improvments.