Used 1999 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned
By dvast8_21

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

I bought this SUV used last year. It had 100,000 miles when I bought it. In just one year, I have put $1,500 in transmission repair, replaced alternator, water pump, thermostat, had work done to the driver side door when it just stopped opening, and currently the gas gauge only works part of the time. Not to mention this is the biggest gas hog. The display says it averages 13.5 mpg on highway. I found documents from the original owner where they also had transmission work, replaced belts, and had various mechanical problems. I certainly will never own another Dodge!

Seven passenger seating without the domestic sense of a van

Take it off the market all together.

I'm a Dodge woman, but...
By melinda

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased used in 2005, had to rebuild transmission. The glove box latch tricky then finally broke, passenger side back door mysteriously broke, no one seemed to know how. I suspected the children until I was driving down the road one night and the one behind me suddenly blew up! Not a clue what happened, hoping the dealership will let me know tomorrow. A lot of pinging in the engine when accelerating. Uses oil like crazy. Can't roll the back windows down if going very fast because of the ear popping and noise. I have gone through 2 alternators and the check engine light is always playing tricks.

It's a Dodge, so of course it looks good.

Fire everyone that worked on the Durango project so they will stop giving Dodge a bad name

Never again
By Jeff

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This car has been nothing but problems from the ball joints to the water pump not to include the door locks and burned out window motor. Dodge did not do their homework when making this model. Shame on you Dodge!

Selling it!

The entire car!

Excellent truck
By greenbean24

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

I love this truck! It's way more of a truck than I thought (which is good for me). The 5.9L is a great engine and the parts for the LA based engine are extensive. I have the tan leather which was pretty dirty when I bought the truck but they cleaned up to perfect condition and there is no sign of wear after 8 years. The truck had 115,000 miles on it and a regular tune up was in order but other than that I have had no problem at all with the Durango.

Steering wheel radio controls. Heated rear window. 3rd row. Lots of room. Power, and smooth but sporty ride

Stock stereo system is fine for most but I had to improve

Good and Bad
By Good and Bad

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

Very utilitarian. Great for trips and easy to drive around a large metro area. Gas mileage is reasonable. Much better to operate than a large SUV. On the negative side, the transmission went "belly-up", a major expense, the AC has been a problem, and keeping the alignment corrected has been an issue.