1999 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Less than two weeks
By dwash24 on 08/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

I bought my durango and drove it home from the dealership and noticed a check guage light come. Oil pressure guage and new oil pump were replaced. It took 6 days to get problem square away. drove the vehicle for 4 days and it would not crank. this time alternator. Of course I'm disgusted for owning a suv for 2 weeks and have only driven it for 4 days. to top it all off three of the speakers were shot during my four day drive.

1999 Durango
By rvhjr on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought in order to haul increasing number of grandkids- only one (that I could afford) with 3 seats. Used mostly on fairly extended trips but sometimes around town especially in the winter. Only problem was a blown head gasket covered under warranty. Still have original tires, shocks, and brakes. Everything works with no problems. Mileage is decent at 55 but not at 70.

Nagging issues, but good SUV
By CraigInTexas on 07/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

When I noticed the tires wearing unusaully fast, I had the front end alligned. The guy said he had never seen a vehicle so badly alligned, and that it was obviously that way from the factory. The window issues will probably result in a recall. The brake/speedometer sensor in the rear axle housing will most likely go bad at around 44,000 miles. This causes any combination of the following: ABS and/or emergency brake warning light comes on, speedometer stops working, or will only work beyond certain speeds. The sensor is cheap and easy to replace, so don't let them charge a fortune to replace it.

Dodge product stinks
By Don'tGet Suckered on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

At first it was love. Now I can't get a divorce fast enough! Rusted window trim replaced (after a fight with dealer) @ 32k. Head gasket and PCM replaced @ 45k, Pinion Bearing replaced @ 55k and needs it again @ 64k along with another PCM. Rear end sounds like an leectric mixer. Dodge won't offer any help. Vehicle has been serviced regularly based on owners manual. The way I was treated @ the dealership bordered on criminal, the manager offered to help me push it off their lot, said it was a "Dodge" problem, not theirs. NEVER AGAIN, DODGE, GOT THAT. Customer satisfaction must not matter...Dodge has pushed me to the foreign market, their loss.

99 Durango Underpowered & Poor Fuel Econ
By tman300 on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall, I like this vehicle. Have 360 cid (5.9L) generating 245 hp with 3.55 rear axle ratio and limited slip differential. One complaint is gas mileage. Although I have meticulously maintained this vehicle from day one, have never achieved sticker stated 16 mpg at highway speeds (55-75 mph). Also, local driving mpg comes in at around 10.5 and not the sticker stated 12 (forget about driving in NYC- 6-7 mpg there). I am neither a leadfoot or a featherfoot.

1999 Durango
By rbecker54 on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

Been in the shop many times for various reasons, mostly power window acutators. I've replaced 7 since buying the car and only have 35,000 miles on it. Very poor gas mileage and hard on tires.

Never again
By jdhboys on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I had an oil absorbtion problem after have this brand new vehicle only 3 months. Repeatedly lost 1 quart of oil over a 1 month period. The tire are absolutely horrible. They wear pretty fast. The window regulators all went out intermittenly and one is permanently fried which cost $225 to replace a relatively cheap part. Brakes are terrible as the brake dust cause the brakes to squeak bad. If you have 7 passengers in the vehicle you can forget about any luggage space and there is virtually NONE!!! Since I work for the #1 Japanese transplant mfg. I know what quality and customer approval means and this SUV doesn't get it done.

60K mil Report
By lhowie17 on 06/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

We had the water pump go out about 56,000 miles. The tires on the car wear down very fast. Seems like every quarter we are buying a new tire. The air controls don't blow when putting the button on air at the top and feet for some reason. Same problem was happening on our 99 Dakota. Dealer ordered the part but never called again to say in and then it was out of warrenty. The truck drinks gas like crazy!

60K Mi Report
By ghorvathjr on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Vehicle has performed extremely well through first 60K miles. There was (and continues to be), however, some excessive wearing on insides of front tires. I've checked with other Durango owners and this appears to be a relatively common trait. 5.9 Liter engine pulls loaded two horse trailer though mountains with better than expected results. Have performed following services outside scope of normal maintenance & warranty work: -One brake replacement (to be expected) -One water pump replacement (at 55K miles) at a cost of $1500.00.

Not satisfied
By sutchman on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned my Durango for 3 1/2 years. It is great for transporting the family and hauling things. The breaks are still good after 31,000 miles. I would not by another one though because of the gas mileage and I had it to the dealer 5 times for the master cylinder, 4wd light, serpentine belt, clicking in steering wheel, and the head gasket (twice).