1999 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
The Durango is a WINNER!!
By Harley Dudess on 11/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this used...never had a minute's trouble with it. Had heard negative comments from others but the test drive sold me after trying imports that are too narrow. Powerful 5.9 engine, great manuverability. The leather and suede interior looks great. Love the overhead AC for the rear. Never use the 3rd seat. Added 16" wheels. My next car will be definitely be a Durango!!

Happy W/My Durango
By Happy w/MyDurango on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

After reading some very negative reviews, I thought I should throw in my two cents. I purchased a 1999 Model Durango used 2 years ago and have not had any problems with the vehicle.

great family suv
By cajun rrick on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

bought it with 24000 miles. the barrey died the first month. dealer replaced it. Then the driver side window would not work, motor cable was stuck.The speed sensor went out,easy to fix part cost very little.Of course this happen after the warrenty went out.A year latter the barrety died again, had to buy another one.beside this its a great suv.good power,plenty of room. gas mileage not bad on trips(5.2engin) abit noisey when first starting. wife loves her durango.O' the goodyear tires are crap,donot wear will.

Bad Choice
By Mazz on 10/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had numerous problems with my durango and have found the people at the dealership unhelpful. I also have gone to different Dodge dealerships but I find they all have crap service. When it rains, I have had problems with acceleration. Sometimes when I stop and acclerate nothing happens. The first time it happened I was stuck halfway across a busy intersection. I kept trying to accelerate and when it eventually kicked in I went into a spin. I have gone to several dealers and they tell me there is nothing wrong. I have no faith in my truck and am planning to get rid of it shortly. STAY AWAY FROM DODGE!!

Save your money and buy a decent car
By on 10/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

Engine oil pressure problems from early on. At 23,000 dealer claimed engine sludge problems caused by my failure to perfrom appropriate maintenance. Been in shop at least four times for the same problem and Dodge refuses to repair under warranty saying problem caused by "shody" maintenance. Will probably have to resort to "sueing" to get repaired so I can sell. "Stay away from Durango and Dodge unless you are a masochist." No dealer or manufacturer support.

Front end junk
By bobc57 on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Front components junk, brakes/rotors every 20K highway miles, tie rods, upper/lower ball joints, wheel bearings. water pump @40K, ABS module. All periodic maintenance done by the dealer per manufactures schedule.

Been good to me
By Corsair on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I leased my Durango in Sept of '99. It was a dealer demo. I had a lot of problems with the dealer during/after the sale & they 'forgot' to mention some details about buying a dealer demo vehicle. Overall I am very UNIMPRESSED with the original dealership & most Dodge dealerships in my area. Otherwise I love the truck. Yes, it gets poor gas mileage but I KNEW it would when I bought it! The only problem I have had was the driver's window regulator stopped working within the first few months. Otherwise I have had no problems. I must have gotten one of the 'good' ones. The vehicle only has 28K miles on it and I baby it (maintenance, washes, etc).

Pleasure to own..........
By MSF_Snake on 08/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

Bought the suv on lease purchase plan and decided to keep it based on vehicle performance. Intake gasket replacement is the only issue that we have had and has over 40,000 mile on vehicle. Don't care for the gas mileage, but it WILL pull a load. Inside in comfortable, with plenty of room. Been a good family vehicle.

Never again a Dodge!!!
By balto-man on 08/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

At first, I fell in love with my Durango. It's power, stylish looks, big tires, good handling were all fun until: The rear tailgate latch broke, a psngr. door wouldn't unlock (no fix), a loud chirping from the rear couldn't be fixed, the a/c stopped working from some electrical problem (they managed to fix this 1), then the engine stalled on several occasions and the dealer (after having my Durango for 3 wks) couldn't fix this 1! This almost got me and a dealership mechanic in a few accidents! I traded it in ASAP. I should also mention that the dealership where I bought the Durango treated me like I was some kind of criminal. Never again will I buy a Dodge!

The worst money can buy
By PEEVED on 08/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my ragedy piece of crap in july of 1999. I wanted to get rid of it a year later. I've have two transmissions replaced, a selnoid replaced (whatever that is), fuel lines and gauges replaced. I've taken it to the dealer est. 20 times, mostly for poor performance, lack of power which of coarse they can never seem to find the problem. The gas milage is ridiculous, the power is horrible, esp from a 5.9 liter V8 engine. I hate this SUV so much that im increasing my monthly payments so i can pay it down and trade it in. PLEASE, IF YOU EVER THOUGHT OF BUYING A DURANGO.....DONT. GET A TOYOTA.