1999 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Annoyance
By MHPeach on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Durango in April,1999 because I loved the look of the vehicle. I had problems from the get go - AC leaked on the passengers floor, Rear CLANKED when put in reverse, Rear door wouldn't unlock with remote control open, interior trim panel was not placed back on properly, etc... Stay away from F.Beans, Doylestown, PA. They were very not helpful and made me feel like I was not important. They are far from a 5 star dealership!

It's been a great truck
By Comfortably Numb on 12/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 5.2L, 4WD, with Tow Package, 3rd seat, front and rear air. I now have 69,000 miles on it and while it is only rated for 5700 pounds, I pull my boat a couple of times a year which weighs 7200 pounds (dry) on the trailer. My only complaint with my Durango is that I have to use 89 octane, or it "pings" slightly when you accelerate quickly (could be from pulling my boat???).

Completely Happy With The Durango
By Yellowlab on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1999 Durango brand new in Feb 1999 and have 80,000+ miles on it now. I've had a few routine maintanance things done (tires, battery, and front brake pads), but NO malfunctions or problems of any kind. I haven't been this happy with a vehicle in a long time, and plan on keeping it until I buy another Durango. I've taken it on 3 trips of over 4,000 miles (Route 66 was my favorite) and it performed excellent.

Intake Gasket
By jcronin27 on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it used off a Ford lot. Noticed it using oil within 2 weeks but no oil leaks. Had to go to the dealer once a week or so to have oil added so that they could "chart" the oil use. Finally had to insist that they fix it or take it back. Ended up being a bad intake gasket. I see from the other reviews (and heard from a Dodge dealer mechanic) that this is common in the 5.9 liter engines. I have an occasional rattle in the rear end on hard acceleration (like the differential is "slipping") Anyone out there had rear-end problems with the 4WD Durango? Wind noise with the window cracked is very bad at highway speeds.

Love my Truck
By Busy Mom on 12/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Durango. As a busy mom working full time I don't have time for cramped quarters and minumal interior load. We all have plenty of room for the daily short trips to school and work but plenty of room for the long road trips too. We put bigger tires on it and have as much fun off road as on road. Best vehicle I ever own!

Don't make this mistake
By fhjsifhwiehfnsdf on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

A completely aweful vehicle. The reliability is horrendous and the service from the dealerships will blow your mind it is so bad. I finally punted mine and am so much happier with the Suburban now. Check the reliability ratings and reviews and heed their advice: Stay away at all costs. Dodge doesn't receive poor marks for nothing. If you buy a Durango you will regret is for years to come.

First &Last
By First & Last on 11/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

First Dodge I have owned. Bought new 10/99. Summer of 2000 I discovered the airconditioning stops working on trips over 100 miles. 1st dealer both unable and unwilling to diagnose problem. Out of town dealer discovered problem was a frozen recirc switch. Fix lasted 1yr and the problem reoccured. Now with 55,000 miles wont shift out of 2nd gear and the dealer says it needs a new transmission.

Bad truck, but Dodge itself is worse
By J to the C on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this new in 1998 and it's been a rough ride since day one. This truck has stranded me, the wife and the kids at least 5 times in 4 years, We've gone through 5 batteries, 2 water pumps, 2 window motors, a washer pump, a blown freeze plug and a front seat, plus now with 50k miles the dealer says the ball joints are shot, the transfer case is leaking and the cooling system is corroded (even though they serviced it). After the 3 year warranty expired we tried to get Dodge to help us out at least a little bit but they told us to go to hell. Overall a bad car and a worse car company. Avoid at all costs.

No Problems, Great Ride
By Starfire on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

In '99 we bought our Durango after a screw up with the Ford dealership on an Expedition. I'm glad we took the Ford back. We've gone from Portland, Oregon to Jasper, Alberta to Los Angeles, California in the rig and haven't had a single problem with it. It's a pleasure to drive. I only wish it would get a little better gas mileage but I'm not complaining about that too much. Just had it's 30k check up and only found a small water leak by the thermostate. Didn't even notice this myself. Very Pleased!!

Love it .........
By mtn_jake on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought with 34K miles June 02. I'm the 2nd owner of this Durango. With 40K miles, still love it. Lots of room & comfort. Power to spare pulling a trailer. [2nd Dodge I've owned, 1st was an 84 W150 4X4 trk, now with 295K miles!] No problems to speak of with my Durango..yet..hope none to happen. Except for the usual items expected to be replaced from normal use. The gas mileage doesn't bother me, you have to expect to get low MPG with the vehicle weight & engine size (5.9L). There has to be some compromise. I've had some noises in the front end & checked them out, nothing found. I've just accepted them for now. Hopefully, nothing will come of them.