1999 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
1999 Dodge Durango
By fcardenas88 on 09/02/11 19:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

My mom bought this car new out of the lot back in 1999. She passed on to me with 100,000K when I graduated from high school. Car ran great but gas millage was horrible. The only thing I did not like about this car is that when you would drive it it was very heavy to drive and not smooth. It now has 192,000K and it still has the original tranmission and engine. Ive taken this car to Canada, Mexico and North Carolina and it did great and til this day it still runs great and looks good new too.

Reason I will never own another dodge
By ebglock on 07/13/10 09:33 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

Great motor. transmission started giving trouble at 65k. Electrical problems massive. Switches,window regulators, speed sensors, etc., etc. Brakes crap with defective bearings from dodge.

Will you be 'thumbing it'?
By Phoenix on 03/21/10 15:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

Love this vehicle's design, space, and characteristics. Hate the fact that you might be left on foot! Going on my 'possible' 3rd transmission job in 3 years. If I keep it! Like many before, front passenger window motor, bumper peeling/rusting easily, and now, faced with another transmission job! 2 people depend on this vehicle for work while other "Dodge" in shop (over 2 wks) with no luck on getting it going. I will not buy another Dodge or Ford at this point! Either its something missed in a recall or just wasn't caught by a safety expert that gives a da**. Oh yeah, front upper/lower ball joints both wheels, sway bars, bearings to keep from crashing

Most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned
By dvast8_21 on 05/13/07 10:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

I bought this SUV used last year. It had 100,000 miles when I bought it. In just one year, I have put $1,500 in transmission repair, replaced alternator, water pump, thermostat, had work done to the driver side door when it just stopped opening, and currently the gas gauge only works part of the time. Not to mention this is the biggest gas hog. The display says it averages 13.5 mpg on highway. I found documents from the original owner where they also had transmission work, replaced belts, and had various mechanical problems. I certainly will never own another Dodge!

Excellent truck
By greenbean24 on 01/25/07 17:58 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

I love this truck! It's way more of a truck than I thought (which is good for me). The 5.9L is a great engine and the parts for the LA based engine are extensive. I have the tan leather which was pretty dirty when I bought the truck but they cleaned up to perfect condition and there is no sign of wear after 8 years. The truck had 115,000 miles on it and a regular tune up was in order but other than that I have had no problem at all with the Durango.

Good and Bad
By Good and Bad on 04/04/06 20:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

Very utilitarian. Great for trips and easy to drive around a large metro area. Gas mileage is reasonable. Much better to operate than a large SUV. On the negative side, the transmission went "belly-up", a major expense, the AC has been a problem, and keeping the alignment corrected has been an issue.

Fun to Drive SUV
By Mike Quinlan on 11/06/04 21:47 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

I purchased my 1999 SLT Durango used with 46K miles. I now have 61k and the car has been flawless. I love the 5.9L V8 engine for get up and go. I like the size of this SUV, not too big and not to small. I love the way the Durango handles on the road and around town. The gas mileage is reasonable, about the same as my last SUV 15 miles per gallon average for city and highway combined. The Durango is one of the best used car values because they can be purchased for a reasonable cost.

Durango does it
By tntarizona on 09/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

The Durango's are very affordable when shopping for SUV's. I've had no major problems with it at all, only scheduled maintenance upkeep. The 5.9 liter motor is great scaling through mountains with lots of power to spare and fuel economy is reasonable

I love my Durango
By mrsvicki on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

Had my Durango for over 5 years. I have it serviced every 3 to 4 thousand miles and it hasn't had any mechnical problems.I have had several rear bumper fender benders with no damage being done to my Durango.We drive the family to the mountains at least twice a month it is one of the most comfortable rides I've experienced.I like sitting up high and feel very safe. I'll keep it until it until it gives me it's last mile.

My Dodge
By Priscilla on 03/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

I prefer this body style compared to the new 2004 Durango.