Used 1999 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

All around great suv
By myrango

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my durango now for 5 years. Let me tell you this has been the best suv I've ever owned. Its realible and tough. It is just what i needed. I've driven it to Florida and back to Louisiana 4 times, with no problems!! Outside of regular maintenance its been no problem. My 1999 durango owes me nothing. I would recommend this suv for anyone. Plenty of power(5.9 liter engine). The gas milage could be better but seriously I have no complaints. 3rd row seat provides more than enough room for friends and family. 4X4, nice ruged but stylish look and bold body style.. A great suv for camping or travel. A 5* hands down.

Favorite Features

The power and the nice look are my favorite things about this suv. It has plenty of towing power and the 4x4 drive are second to none. I love the interior room and design(leather seats) come in handy with the kids. I have the 5.9 liter engine not the 5.2!

Suggested Improvements

Gas milage could be better but for all the other things I like about this suv I can deal with it.

Best of the best; built to last
By bucksbigtrucks

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this truck with 201,000 miles, no problems. Now has 225,000 miles, still no problems. This truck runs so strong like it has only 25,000 miles. It can tow pretty much anything and 4X4 works great. Very satisfied with it. Only like the First Generation models though; Second Generation looks too much like a van. Stick with the 99 - 03 and you'll enjoy it.

Favorite Features

Rides like a truck and seats a full family. Tough and protective of the whole load. Need space? fold the 3rd row down and you're set.

Suggested Improvements

Brush guards should be standard

I love this truck!
By bigrob54

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 99 Durango last fall. I purchased the vehical with the intent on making it into a mud bogger. I bought the truck from a retired couple that bought it new. They gave me all the recipts and a maintenace log. The truck only had 82000 miles on it! Over the winter I was in a accident with my everyday driver (2010 Silverado) The truck was totaled. I started to use the Durango as an everyday driver. I have NEVER owned a truck that did so well in the snow. I live in Northern Michigan. We get alot of snow! This Durango slices thru the snow at ease. I only had to use the 4 WD 3-4 times. I have since decieded not to turn this truck into a bogger. It's just in too good of shape. Great Truck!

Favorite Features

the rugged body and 4wd are worth the so, so MPG

Suggested Improvements

MPG would be one. For everyday driving in the city it sucks. But the power and 4wd make up for a little of that.

1999 Dodge Durango
By fcardenas88

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV

My mom bought this car new out of the lot back in 1999. She passed on to me with 100,000K when I graduated from high school. Car ran great but gas millage was horrible. The only thing I did not like about this car is that when you would drive it it was very heavy to drive and not smooth. It now has 192,000K and it still has the original tranmission and engine. Ive taken this car to Canada, Mexico and North Carolina and it did great and til this day it still runs great and looks good new too.

Favorite Features

I did like the fact that when going on roadtrips it was excellent on hills and the gas millage too.

Suggested Improvements

If I would to get another car I would get another Durango but with a better gas millage, and hopefully the news ones dont feel heave as mine did when you drive it.

Pros and cons
By League

1999 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have really loved owning this SUV! Knew mileage not good when I bought it but traded for versatility, power and looks. Minimal repairs. Have 150,000 and just now replaced upper ball joints and a/c. No other major repairs. Has been on many long trips and through bad weather with no problems. Handles better than other SUVs I've driven. It's been a good, solid vehicle. It's currently 11 years old and still looks great! Hope to have it for a few more years.

Favorite Features

Versatility (7 passengers or PLENTY of cargo room w/ 3rd row fold), looks and handling. Also power and 4WD have let me fly by others in ice and snowy conditions

Suggested Improvements

MPG could be better