Used 1999 Dodge Durango SLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

1999 Dodge Durango

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

1999 Dodge Durango
By fcardenas88

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

My mom bought this car new out of the lot back in 1999. She passed on to me with 100,000K when I graduated from high school. Car ran great but gas millage was horrible. The only thing I did not like about this car is that when you would drive it it was very heavy to drive and not smooth. It now has 192,000K and it still has the original tranmission and engine. Ive taken this car to Canada, Mexico and North Carolina and it did great and til this day it still runs great and looks good new too.

Favorite Features

I did like the fact that when going on roadtrips it was excellent on hills and the gas millage too.

Suggested Improvements

If I would to get another car I would get another Durango but with a better gas millage, and hopefully the news ones dont feel heave as mine did when you drive it.

Reason I will never own another dodge
By ebglock

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

Great motor. transmission started giving trouble at 65k. Electrical problems massive. Switches,window regulators, speed sensors, etc., etc. Brakes crap with defective bearings from dodge.

Favorite Features

towing great with 360 cid.

Suggested Improvements

List too long

Will you be 'thumbing it'?
By Phoenix

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

Love this vehicle's design, space, and characteristics. Hate the fact that you might be left on foot! Going on my 'possible' 3rd transmission job in 3 years. If I keep it! Like many before, front passenger window motor, bumper peeling/rusting easily, and now, faced with another transmission job! 2 people depend on this vehicle for work while other "Dodge" in shop (over 2 wks) with no luck on getting it going. I will not buy another Dodge or Ford at this point! Either its something missed in a recall or just wasn't caught by a safety expert that gives a da**. Oh yeah, front upper/lower ball joints both wheels, sway bars, bearings to keep from crashing

Favorite Features

Fully loaded except no Sun/Moon Roof; 3rd row seating w/easy condensing; controls for audio on steering wheel; hiding compartments; "safer" feeling when inside it

Suggested Improvements

Demolish the blueprints or recall all of them and do a thorough checkup while providing your customers with temporary transportation. Without your customers, there is no you!

Most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned
By dvast8_21

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

I bought this SUV used last year. It had 100,000 miles when I bought it. In just one year, I have put $1,500 in transmission repair, replaced alternator, water pump, thermostat, had work done to the driver side door when it just stopped opening, and currently the gas gauge only works part of the time. Not to mention this is the biggest gas hog. The display says it averages 13.5 mpg on highway. I found documents from the original owner where they also had transmission work, replaced belts, and had various mechanical problems. I certainly will never own another Dodge!

Favorite Features

Seven passenger seating without the domestic sense of a van

Suggested Improvements

Take it off the market all together.

Excellent truck
By greenbean24

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV

I love this truck! It's way more of a truck than I thought (which is good for me). The 5.9L is a great engine and the parts for the LA based engine are extensive. I have the tan leather which was pretty dirty when I bought the truck but they cleaned up to perfect condition and there is no sign of wear after 8 years. The truck had 115,000 miles on it and a regular tune up was in order but other than that I have had no problem at all with the Durango.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel radio controls. Heated rear window. 3rd row. Lots of room. Power, and smooth but sporty ride

Suggested Improvements

Stock stereo system is fine for most but I had to improve